MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Question Don't try this at home folks

I know that MotoHouston does not condone Running from the police (please don't delete this thread) But I would like to have a discussion on the topic of pulling over while speeding. Hypothetically speaking does there come a time, and if so at what point in the middle of the night or x miles of the speed limit, would you say catch me if you can? or if you are speeding and you pass a cop and he put on his lights do you wait to see if he is after you before you pull over or do you just pull over right away and say i am sorry officer here is my license and insurance. I think that there might be more to this story Like perhaps this guy had to get home for some emergency that was not stated. What do you think?

Speeding biker earns spot on 'Wall'

REESE, Mich. (AP) -- A motorcyclist arrested whizzing through town at 137 mph told police he was just trying to be punctual, authorities said Tuesday.

The 37-year-old claimed he was "late for work."

A police officer stopped the biker at 3:35 a.m. about 80 miles northwest of Detroit. Authorities said the man had earned a spot on their bulletin board.

"We have a `Wall of Fame' here in the report room, and when anybody arrests someone traveling over 100 mph, we mark it down," Tuscola County Sheriff's Lt. James Giroux said.

"This 137 mph is the new record," he added.

The man was in the county jail Tuesday awaiting arraignment on a charge of fleeing and eluding police.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just watch the vid , or don't, whatever i don't care . lol ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 11 09-07-2009 09:08 AM
don't get lound in your home witchdoctor575 Off Topic 0 07-16-2009 02:41 PM
home theatre folks in here Chubby Racer Off Topic 28 06-17-2009 02:09 PM
Don't Do Drugs; and for Gawd's Sake, Don't Shoplift! Squoddybody Off Topic 17 03-24-2009 02:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

it;s amazing what kinda stupid stuff people will try and pull on bikes, but would never try in their cars.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

if your flying by a cop at 137 mph, by the time he hits lights your pretty freakin far.

Also I think It was VERY VERY unsafe trying to pull over the biker.

I would pull over, but then again I don't speed.

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

riding motorcycles and even track riding desensitizes you to the sense of speed. A couple years ago I would never have thought about going 130 or even 150+, but now its no big deal. The only thing that keeps me slow is the thought of the law and how unsafe it is on the street. But as far as the sense of speed itself, 130-150 on the track..............so what.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

The Constable I live with told me this the other day when we talked about it..

He said that if he was following a rider in city limits and they KNEW how to ride that the pursuit would be called off for 2 reasons. 1) in city limits you endanger innocents on high speed chases and 2) a guy who knows how to ride and has a bike that is anything more than a 600 can out speed and out corner any cruiser... He told me that they can tell the "new guys" in blue when you hear on the radio "I'm in a high speed pursuit with a motorcycle" ... dead silence, then "the motorcycle is gone".

Out in the country but still in county limits though you will get road blocked or pit manuvered just because they can do it.

DISCLAMER*** NOT RECOMMENDED, just have all the propper paperwork on you at all times and don't try to race cops.

This one had it coming - This one found a vein
This one was an accident, but never gave me pain
This one was my fathers and This one you can't see
This one had me scared to death,
[U]But I guess I should be glad I'm not dead[/U]

Yes I am made of scars
That's what I'm made of!![/CENTER]
Dub_B83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

I would think even a 600 will leave a cop behind, whats a cruises top speed? 130?
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Yeah I used to manage at the knife shop in the baybrook mall for over a year or two and got to talk to cops all the time and 90% of them said "if i hit the lights on a guy going 100+ and i see him exit and shift his and lean his knee i just turn my lights off and turn around.. but if i see him slam on the breaks and turn then speed up... I know i have him.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskale View Post
I would think even a 600 will leave a cop behind, whats a cruises top speed? 130?
I think it depends on the age of the 600. But yes, my '05 636 would be capable. I meant that statement to be 600 and up on the other post.

I'm not sure if a 600 cruiser could do it though.

Yes I am made of scars

Last edited by Dub_B83; 08-09-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
Yeah I used to manage at the knife shop in the baybrook mall for over a year or two and got to talk to cops all the time and 90% of them said "if i hit the lights on a guy going 100+ and i see him exit and shift his and lean his knee i just turn my lights off and turn around.. but if i see him slam on the breaks and turn then speed up... I know i have him.
Yeah, I was told something like that but it was more like "I'll just wait until they wreck if it looks like they can't ride". Seems they see a few of these ballsy rtards every so often.

Yes I am made of scars
Old 08-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Send a message via AIM to Urandaman
id rather pay a ticket than a medical bill if someone pulled infornt of me if i for some reason ran...
Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

If you're speeding and you see the cop turn on his lights then you might as well assume that he's after you. Slow down and wait for him to catch up.

The 'fleeing and eluding' police thing is what bothers me. I'm afraid that one day I'm going to get pulled over by a bike-hater and told "I've been chasing you for the last 2 miles". In his mind he's chasing but in my mind I'm riding along minding my own business.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
Question, just curious. How long do you think it takes a cop sitting still on the side of the road to catch up to someone that is doing say 135+. From 0-135 maybe a mile, and how far ahead would the bike/car be by then ??? Not that I condone running or anything like that, but seriously how long would it take, maybe the biker/car didn't see the cop and just kept steady speed and then came up on his exit and got off and never got caught.
Well if you assume that because an impala can get to 60mph in 15.5 seconds that it can get to 130 in about 34 seconds then you are looking at the motorcycle being 1.25 miles ahead of the cop before he gets to 130mph (again assuming he can even reach that speed and the bike doesnt accelerate)

its the distance they cover after the cop reaches that speed that becomes a problem, how much faster can that cop go and how much faster can that car go

personally, Id be more inclined to run from a cop in my corvette than on my bike, but I havent even passed 80 in that thing in a long time.
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Hmmm I would like to check you figures but I dont want to do any math right now good answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zampano View Post
Well if you assume that because an impala can get to 60mph in 15.5 seconds that it can get to 130 in about 34 seconds then you are looking at the motorcycle being 1.25 miles ahead of the cop before he gets to 130mph (again assuming he can even reach that speed and the bike doesnt accelerate)

its the distance they cover after the cop reaches that speed that becomes a problem, how much faster can that cop go and how much faster can that car go

personally, Id be more inclined to run from a cop in my corvette than on my bike, but I havent even passed 80 in that thing in a long time.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 08-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #15
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

if for some reason i was doing 130 and passed a cop and he turns on his lights, i'm already going to jail for doing that so might as well keep going and hope he stops
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
level5
moving chicane

When you are doing high speed run, you don't look in the back. Focus what is in front of you. Doing this will earn you a ticket to jail and evading charges and loses your bike, guaranteed. Especially at night time.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #18
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post
The 'fleeing and eluding' police thing is what bothers me. I'm afraid that one day I'm going to get pulled over by a bike-hater and told "I've been chasing you for the last 2 miles". In his mind he's chasing but in my mind I'm riding along minding my own business.
Yeah, that's exactly what I worry about... not that I ride that fast, but... I worry about them already having a preconceived notion about me, just cuz I'm on a bike.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

is lane splitting/lane sharing allowed in a chase? or is that stuff banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badzx14r View Post
the other advantage i know is if you run down the highway with the cop in tow... now with the cop's lights flashing siren blazing traffic will get out of his way.... but you will be stuck maneuvering around traffic.. how long before you get stuck behind 18 wheelers blocking lanes....thats the biggest reason not to run ..
Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #20
Scotsman

Or you could wind up like this very lucky girl:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34466

Read the post on the 2nd page on how they hit a pole while running from the police.

Last edited by Scotsman; 08-10-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement