MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
ATWA327

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
N/A

What intrigues you about riding?

Here we go. Long post. Almost a blog.

My friends have recently asked me why I decided to get serious about riding (legally). Mostly from my wife. When I first started, I was 18, reckless and angry at the world. All the wrong reasons for riding. I stopped for a while and caught AMA racing every once in a while on the Speed network. I noticed something while watching AMA racers and ever since I know why I want to ride so bad. Balance. The whole act of riding is Zen-like in that all aspects of being a good rider and enjoying the experience of riding rest on the foundation of balance. Too harsh with the throttle? You crash. Too timid with your riding style? You become a danger to yourself and others on the road. But find the balance of respect for the machine, balance of where and when to open the throttle and test your limits, and you have an experience that not many in life will choose to undertake.

Even the ability to ride requires balance with so many different components. Centrifugal forces need to be in balance to ensure proper turning. The act of being upright is balance. And then their is the balance of knowing your limits and the balance that is associated being in control at speeds where most are clearly not. I love that there is balance in knowing where to focus your attention. You really want to see where your friend is as you blow by them on the track or on the back road twistys, but you have to discipline yourself so that you don't lose your focus and fly off the cliff or into turn 12.

So what do you love about riding, or what intrigues you the most about riding?

PS - Sorry for the ridiculously long post.
ATWA327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issue with Shirt Riding Up While Riding ddgtomahawk General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 08-04-2015 11:26 AM
Any riding tonight, not sitting, riding? Colonel Events, Meets and Rides 15 04-17-2011 06:47 PM
Destination Riding VS Leisure riding. Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 09-07-2009 10:00 PM
night riding Vs Day riding Bricksta General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 05-14-2007 09:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S

Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
THE ADRENALINE RUSH AFTER A CLOSE CALL OR CRASH. UNDESCRIBIBLE!
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
Seth
F T W

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

Send a message via AIM to Seth
Everything about it. The friend's you get from it, the rush you get from it (yeah, even on a 250), the freedom. Oh and the girls. duh
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
Cody_Rules
this.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
the chance of getting arrested for doing something that gives you a rush is a good rush until you get arrested
Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
blaqqwarrior
R.I.P. Coach....

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
02 cbr 954rr

Send a message via Yahoo to blaqqwarrior
I totally agree with with what everyone here is stating, especially Seth. But to me, riding is like being a fighter pilot. You have this unbelieveable freedom, can go where you wanna go, swooping and soaring. And then as your flying, another pilot cruises by, turning his helmet, the sun gleams off his visor as he turns to look at you as he too soars. What kind of look did he give you? One of a fellow ace, or one of challenge and rivalry? You choose the latter as you ignite afterburners and give chase. He sees you coming and hits his right before your next to him, accelerating, flowing smoothly in right behind you. Rapidly, you approach mach one speeds, your engine's siren song screaming, your focus narrowing...

This gentlemen, is why I ride.

dee
blaqqwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
Gigolo Jason

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

It's fun
Old 08-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
njay1984
3 for 11

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 Yamaha Warrior
03 SV650 track hoe

There is not much left to add. You have all hit the nail on the head. But I do have one thing to throw in...

"the Look"
Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I've never been a "city" person. I hate being enclosed. I grew up in Hawaii where you never rode a car with the windows up, and no mater where you were you were always surrounded by nature.

Being on a bike is like that. Surrounding yourself with nature and just being out there. Flip up that visor and feel the wind, feel the sun.

And a side benefit that I never even once considered before getting the bike was the friendships ... the instant membership to the club ... anyone on two wheels you meet on the road is a friend ... dude, that rocks.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #9
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

it's healthier than crack!

.... well kind of
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
Seth
F T W

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

Send a message via AIM to Seth
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaqqwarrior View Post
I totally agree with with what everyone here is stating, especially Seth.
:icon_bigg
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Tango1300
Banned

Bike(s):
2005'ish HayaBOOsah

User is banned

Tango1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

the acceleration and G forces... 0-100 in under 5 seconds is one of a kick in the pants
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
I totally agree with with what everyone here is stating, especially Seth. But to me, riding is like being a fighter pilot. You have this unbelieveable freedom, can go where you wanna go, swooping and soaring. And then as your flying, another pilot cruises by, turning his helmet, the sun gleams off his visor as he turns to look at you as he too soars. What kind of look did he give you? One of a fellow ace, or one of challenge and rivalry? You choose the latter as you ignite afterburners and give chase. He sees you coming and hits his right before your next to him, accelerating, flowing smoothly in right behind you. Rapidly, you approach mach one speeds, your engine's siren song screaming, your focus narrowing...

dee
+ 1 i like to think i'm ridin like a fighter pilot
lbjasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I enjoy learning something new everytime I go out at the track. The affect of putting weight on the inside/outside pegs, hitting that apex in one smooth sequence of events(rare occasion but its happened), coming through on the outside of riders and passing them like they are standing still, jamming a bad song on a "hot lap", getting buzzed by much faster riders going man I got to practice... sweet!

I love this freaking sport!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #15
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:

dee
+1, i thought I was the only one who thought this....
but I also like to ride because it is a stress relief, a time to myself (only when riding sans the woman), speed, there are other reasons.... the women, I dont know, hasn't worked for me... maybe I need to try posin' harder??? :dontknow:
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #16
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

I love the "hot lap". I will get out of bed in the middle night and take off on a hot lap.

I think what makes it so addictive is the fact that when you are riding all your senses are engaged, from seeing to hearing to feeling, to smelling, they are all working in unison to keep you alive and out of harms ways. Much like that of a animal that is constantly being hunted. You have to stay alert or you won't be here tomorrow.

and the friendships and bonds that seem to magically appear once you get on two wheels...

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement