Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #41
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
All those analogies you made are no different than asking people to look behind them when they open their car door. It's a whole of a lot easier for me to look back before opening my door than it is to not use my phone AT ALL for three hours a day while in my car.
Your commute time was your choice. Zero sympathy there.

The analogies are very different, in that banning cell phone use would benefit more people than looking before opening a door would. In fact, looking behind would only really benefit one group (motorcyclists would benefit, to a degree). While you may not think it benefits you as a driver, well...you've always thought you were special.

Quote:
I'm willing to take the risk of someone hitting my car in order to retain my right to use my phone in the car...and I think I speak for the majority when I say that
One, you have no right to communication via cell phone. Two, you have no right to use a cell phone in a car. The phone is a luxury, and driving a car is a privilege. Both can be taken away.

The majority of people on this forum drive cars/trucks as well as motorcycles, and most of those that have chimed in on the topic want cell phone use in vehicles banned. I know it's a small sample size, but you don't speak for the majority here.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those Wacky Cyclists Bevo Off Topic 10 10-12-2012 01:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #42
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Again it does not benefit me in my honest opinion and I think o speak for the majority when I say that.
Your personal benefit isn't my concern. The benefit to others by getting you off your phone, however, is.

By your thinking, you won't put down your phone because it's an inconvenience. Well twisting around to look behind me is an inconvenience to me. Looking back takes more physical effort than putting down a phone (or just not picking it up). I won't be physically inconvenienced for a minority group.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #43
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Your commute time was your choice. Zero sympathy there.

Likewise I have no sympathy for you getting upset about me on my phone. You're not my father and talking on the phone is my decision. If you are too scared to get on the road because you know I'm on my phone, you have every right to take the bus.
Now, if I hit your car as a result of talking on that phone, then you have a right to be upset, but that's only IF.

The analogies are very different, in that banning cell phone use would benefit more people than looking before opening a door would. In fact, looking behind would only really benefit one group (motorcyclists would benefit, to a degree). While you may not think it benefits you as a driver, well...you've always thought you were special.
Doing the dutch reach would actually benefit you in that you won't be inconvenienced by some dude on a bike damaging your car door, police report, off liberal, ect...basically every benefit that you listed, that you think I care about by hanging up my phone...yeah it's the same benefits when it comes to the dutch reach.

One, you have no right to communication via cell phone. Two, you have no right to use a cell phone in a car. The phone is a luxury, and driving a car is a privilege. Both can be taken away.
It's legal for me to use my phone in the car. That's the point.

The majority of people on this forum drive cars/trucks as well as motorcycles, and most of those that have chimed in on the topic want cell phone use in vehicles banned. I know it's a small sample size, but you don't speak for the majority here.

So now we're moving the goal post? Do I need to redefine "everyone" for you? I'm pretty sure the people on this forum aren't "everyone".
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #44
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
So now we're moving the goal post? Do I need to redefine "everyone" for you? I'm pretty sure the people on this forum aren't "everyone".
At least I have a sample size to work with. You just keep saying, "I believe." Oh, and your beliefs are wrong. There are numerous polls from the past few years that show a majority of Texans support the ban.

As for the cyclist hitting my door? That won't cause any more damage than a runaway shopping cart, and another door ding won't bother me.

Legal and being a right are two completely separate things, BTW.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #45
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Funny thing...except at intersections, I don't recall seeing any bike lanes in the Houston area that would put a cyclist in the position to get hit by an opening driver's side door.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #46
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Whatever bro I'll read all that later. Im posting this from gridlocked traffic.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #47
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Btw who is voting on these polls? I certainly don't care enough to vote. If the majority wants to outlaw it how come I look around and everyone's on their phone?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #48
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Btw who is voting on these polls? I certainly don't care enough to vote.
The people that do care enough to vote, obviously. Houston isn't the only city in the state.

Quote:
If the majority wants to outlaw it how come I look around and everyone's on their phone?
Well, it's statistically unlikely for everyone you see to be on their phones. You also can't see every driver on the road because you spend so much time digging on your phone.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #49
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
The people that do care enough to vote, obviously. Houston isn't the only city in the state.

And What opinion do those people who care enough hold? It's quite obvious that the people who are super passionate about this are going to be the ones trying to change the law AKA people trying to make a statement by doing things like filling out surveys. They certainly don't represent everyone.

Well, it's statistically unlikely for everyone you see to be on their phones. You also can't see every driver on the road because you spend so much time digging on your phone.

You're right I don't generally make an effort to look at other people while I'm driving down the highway. Maybe if you minded your own business a little more often too, you could be a safer driver
Old 10-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #50
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
You're right I don't generally make an effort to look at other people while I'm driving down the highway. Maybe if you minded your own business a little more often too, you could be a safer driver
I mind my business until distracted drift into my lane.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #51
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

So take it out on them. I maintain a lane while using my phone there's no need to ruin it for everyone.
Failure to maintain a lane is illegal but you don't see that stopping them do you?

Stupid is as stupid does... Or something like that. I think you catch my drift
Old 10-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #52
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Let's say someone is on their phone for a mile, and they drift at mile 0.5. If there's no officer there to see the drift, nothing is done about the failure to maintain. If phone use is banned, however, and there's an officer parked at mile 0.0 watching traffic, he can catch the phone user then and prevent the drift at mile 0.5. This would work well on on the Sam Houston Toll, where officers stage 1-2 miles apart in the mornings.

Already a state law that prohibits cell phone use in school zones. Local ordinances all over the state banning use in certain city limits. Only a matter of time before it's expanded to all public roads. I can't wait. You should be mad at the other drivers that are ruining it for you.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #53
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Let's say someone is on their phone for a mile, and they drift at mile 0.5. If there's no officer there to see the drift, nothing is done about the failure to maintain. If phone use is banned, however, and there's an officer parked at mile 0.0 watching traffic, he can catch the phone user then and prevent the drift at mile 0.5. This would work well on on the Sam Houston Toll, where officers stage 1-2 miles apart in the mornings.

Already a state law that prohibits cell phone use in school zones. Local ordinances all over the state banning use in certain city limits. Only a matter of time before it's expanded to all public roads. I can't wait. You should be mad at the other drivers that are ruining it for you.
If the officers parked at 0.0, I'll be picking up my phone at 0.1.
I may get a ticket once in a while and just like those who speed on backroads endangering others, I'll continue to do so because it's worth it.
I don't take anymore toll roads, so cops aren't much of an issue anyhow.

You're welcome
Old 10-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #54
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

In other words you enjoy your nice little 1 dollar per mile "that's what it cost's to maintain a road you liberal" police state highway that in spite of already generating billions a year, they still feel a need to generate revenue on cell phone tickets every 1-2 miles...and I'll enjoy my free road with all the rest of the "losers" who are still getting away with horrible crimes like talking on their phones and driving down the road without paying by the mile.

Last edited by Flip Flop; 10-11-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #55
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

One mention of toll roads and you automatically think the whole thing is about money. Your bias is showing.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #56
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
One mention of toll roads and you automatically think the whole thing is about money. Your bias is showing.
Regardless of what it's about, that's the only thing it's going to end up doing is generating money and eroding away more of our liberty.

Unless you consider burdening our understaffed police departments as an accomplishment, then there's also that.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #57
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

You can drive down the streets of sunny side where people are getting raped, murdered and mugged right there on the street in broad daylight...not a cop in sight.
Head over to BW 8 though and watch your tax dollars hard at work every 1-2 miles, every daY collecting...more dollars for politicians pockets.
If it were really about keeping people safe we would have 10 fold the amount of police cleaning up areas like that, but there's no money in that.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #58
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
You can drive down the streets of sunny side where people are getting raped, murdered and mugged right there on the street in broad daylight...not a cop in sight.
Head over to BW 8 though and watch your tax dollars hard at work every 1-2 miles, every daY collecting...more dollars for politicians pockets.
If it were really about keeping people safe we would have 10 fold the amount of police cleaning up areas like that, but there's no money in that.
Your confusing your jurisdictions. Can't get mad at the Constables for not patrolling HPD territory.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #59
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Your confusing your jurisdictions. Can't get mad at the Constables for not patrolling HPD territory.
Why would I be upset with a law enforcement officer doing their assigned duties? It's the people cashing in on them that need to burn.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #60
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Why would I be upset with a law enforcement officer doing their assigned duties? It's the people cashing in on them that need to burn.
Because they're out there generating money for politicians and HCTRA. If they didn't agree with what they are doing, they'd quit and work elsewhere. Instead, they're in on it, too. Heck, they probably volunteered for toll road duty.

Advertisement