MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #181
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Crack down on the manufacturers not the citizens...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those Wacky Cyclists Bevo Off Topic 10 10-12-2012 01:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #182
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

The mfrs army misusing fones, citizens are.
The fones are doing what they are deigned to do. Let's make people responsible for their actions and not punish the folks that give us cool gadgets.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #183
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

It's not really a punishment to enable software that already exists to prevent folks from "misuse".
The GPS/dash screen in my girls infinity already has that feature installed.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #184
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
distracted driving makes you about 25x more likely to be involved in an accident

that being said, we don't need any more laws.
I agree. Should not have a law against shooting texting drivers in the face.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #185
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

I mean really why the push for tickets and getting the government involved in everyone's life on a local level?
Enable the software and be done with it...unless it's that you don't REALLY want to quit using YOUR phone while driving...just want everyone else to...then I could see your logic.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #186
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Look who's passing out Darwin Awards. Get yours today!

Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #187
kenup283

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
Let's keep in mind that the topic here is to address bicycles getting doored while riding in the bike lane.
In which case it is simple. The bicyclists are going to fast to react to their environment. I stoped reading after a couple pages so in case it was not covered already here are the definitions you seek:

Motorcycle riders survive by expecting everyone they encounter to do the wrong thing at the wrong time to cross their path.

Bicyclists expect to survive by assuming everyone they encounter does the right thing all the time to avoid crossing their path.

Motorcycle riders put their trust in themselves and hold the responsibility for what happens to them.

Bicyclists put trust in others above thier own judgment and expect the law to hold others responsible for what happens to them.

Speaking of voting polls.. I bet each also votes, democrate or republican, as you might expect from how they ride.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #188
rccarlson22

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
In which case it is simple. The bicyclists are going to fast to react to their environment. I stoped reading after a couple pages so in case it was not covered already here are the definitions you seek:

Motorcycle riders survive by expecting everyone they encounter to do the wrong thing at the wrong time to cross their path.

Bicyclists expect to survive by assuming everyone they encounter does the right thing all the time to avoid crossing their path.

Motorcycle riders put their trust in themselves and hold the responsibility for what happens to them.

Bicyclists put trust in others above thier own judgment and expect the law to hold others responsible for what happens to them.

Speaking of voting polls.. I bet each also votes, democrate or republican, as you might expect from how they ride.

I agree with most of this, except a bicyclist does have the mentality similar to a motorcyclist's. However, in this situation pertaining to dooring, a bicyclist does not have enough time to react and brake effectively nor do they have the option to abandon the bicycle lane and merge into regular traffic. So I don't think it's hard to understand a reasonable request of environmental awareness from drivers that can potentially door bicyclists.
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #189
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

I can't wait until we have the option to go cyborg. I'll be all over it with glass eye implants for optical enhancements and ear audio implants. Get me a self driving car and life is good.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #190
kenup283

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
However, in this situation pertaining to dooring, a bicyclist does not have enough time to react and brake effectively nor do they have the option to abandon the bicycle lane and merge into regular traffic. So I don't think it's hard to understand a reasonable request of environmental awareness from drivers that can potentially door bicyclists.
That's just it. The bicyclist who gets doored is going too fast for their surroundings.

When left with no outs, you have two choices; slow down to the point you can react and stop for anything, or pick a speed that you are prepared to crash from. The bicycle rider in that video on the link choose the latter..

Could it have been avoided by the person getting out of the car, absolutely, but don't count on it. Don't even expect it.

If you want to make a positive change, then ask the question why are bikes in the road with cars in the first place?

They should be sharing the sidewalks not the roads. Better to have them up on a curb separated path and widen the sidewalk than to put them down on the road.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #191
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
They should be sharing the sidewalks not the roads. Better to have them up on a curb separated path and widen the sidewalk than to put them down on the road.
Sidewalks can sometimes be more dangerous because it puts you in a position where you are crossing multiple side streets.

When I first started bicycling, I thought the sidewalk would be safer on main roads. After a couple near misses where cars were turning off the main road from behind without using their turn signal (and ironically enough, on the phone.) I switched tor riding on the main road on the far right. It just makes more sense. People can see you a lot easier.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:48 AM   #192
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
That's just it. The bicyclist who gets doored is going too fast for their surroundings.

When left with no outs, you have two choices; slow down to the point you can react and stop for anything, or pick a speed that you are prepared to crash from. The bicycle rider in that video on the link choose the latter..

Could it have been avoided by the person getting out of the car, absolutely, but don't count on it. Don't even expect it.

If you want to make a positive change, then ask the question why are bikes in the road with cars in the first place?

Yeah that's true. Flying 20-25 mph in city traffic is likely to end bad for any vehicle.

I don't ever run the risk of being doored because I ride in suburban/rural areas, but I see where people have a concern come from
Old 10-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #193
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

These 'cyclists' are like queers. Nobody is happy when they show up in large numbers. They always make demands. They cost the taxpayer far more than they pay in. They dress funny and nobody likes them. Should the motorcyclist demand their own traffic lane? They should be ticketed the same rates motorized vehicles are for breaking similar laws. Not wearing a helmet, going the minimum speed limit, ect.

― Steve Sailer
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #194
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the gent View Post
Nobody is happy when they show up in large numbers.
Please don't group yourself with "everyone". There aren't too many that are full of your kind of hatred Jimmy/Pinball/Toe.

I see plenty of happy onlookers at CM events. People are tired of living 5 miles from their job and it taking 40 mins to get there.

I also wear a helmet, do well over the Min. speed where the max I ever see is 30mph and I find it much safer to ride on the road....this is all from experience, not hatred spewed by the ignorant.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #195
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
I see plenty of happy onlookers at CM events. People are tired of living 5 miles from their job and it taking 40 mins to get there.
I suppose now that they have no more "baby killers" in wheel chairs to spit on these "CM Events" and making motorists miserable is all they have left to be happy about.

― Steve Sailer
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #196
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the gent View Post
I suppose now that they have no more "baby killers" in wheel chairs to spit on these "CM Events" and making motorists miserable is all they have left to be happy about.
Spew on bro.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #197
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Please don't group yourself with "everyone". There aren't too many that are full of your kind of hatred Jimmy/Pinball/Toe.

I also wear a helmet, do well over the Min. speed where the max I ever see is 30mph and I find it much safer to ride on the road....this is all from experience, not hatred spewed by the ignorant.
If you wear gear, follow the rules of the road, and don't impede traffic or do things that off motorists, why do you group yourself in with those that do just the opposite?
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #198
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
If you wear gear, follow the rules of the road, and don't impede traffic or do things that off motorists, why do you group yourself in with those that do just the opposite?
What group is the opposite?
Everyone keeps using the word "cyclist", which is extremely broad.

Or do you mean critical mass? Because a vast majority of the people there are decked out with gear and lights. In fact a lot of people who visit the event for the first time leave wanting to get headlights/tail lights because that's what everyone seems to have there.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #199
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
What group is the opposite?
Everyone keeps using the word "cyclist", which is extremely broad.
The majority of the hate for cyclists is due to the actions of a certain kind of cyclist. See below.

Quote:
Bicyclists cause most of their own problems, especially when it comes to not signalling for lane changes or turns, and not stopping at stop signs. Bicyclists need to learn to accept the risks of their chosen mode of transportation and quit expecting motorists to cater to them.
Quote:
I have zero issues with bicyclists that follow the rules of the road. Unfortunately, I haven't run across many that do.
The only place I've seen cyclists consistently use hand signals is in the Austin area, and they seem to be very aware of their surroundings. We came up on a few during Sol's hill country ride. They heard us coming, moved to the side before we got to them, then signaled us around. This was on a one lane road. If cyclists around here made half that effort, animosity towards them would drop drastically.

As for "dooring," a few pages ago I commented on how I haven't seen a bike lane in the Houston area that would put cyclists in danger of getting hit by a driver's side door. In other words, I haven't seen a bike lane that runs between curb parking and flowing traffic. Not saying there aren't any, but all the ones I've seen are right along the curb. Was in Dallas yesterday, and it was the same (from what little of the city I saw). This means that for a cyclist to get "doored," they have to be splitting traffic. Until a lane splitting law is passed, it's pretty unreasonable to want drivers to look behind them for something that's not supposed to be there in the first place. For the record, I want lane splitting in this state and think it should apply equally to cyclists.

The Texas Motor Vehicle Code says that cyclists riding abreast may not impede the reasonable flow of traffic. That's pretty much verbatim. The code also says that vehicles must leave enough room between them to allow another vehicle to safely enter the space. Since cyclists are capable of allowing the space between them, they are required to do so. Cyclists riding up each other's single file prevent other vehicles from working their way through and eventually passing the group.

Quote:
Or do you mean critical mass? Because a vast majority of the people there are decked out with gear and lights. In fact a lot of people who visit the event for the first time leave wanting to get headlights/tail lights because that's what everyone seems to have there.
Do people still drink while riding in CM? Lights are required by law for riding a bicycle at night, so I guess it's good that newcomers want them. I really think CM would be unnecessary if cyclists would just do what they're supposed to in the first place.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #200
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
The majority of the hate for cyclists is due to the actions of a certain kind of cyclist.

The only place I've seen cyclists consistently use hand signals is in the Austin area, and they seem to be very aware of their surroundings. We came up on a few during Sol's hill country ride. They heard us coming, moved to the side before we got to them, then signaled us around. This was on a one lane road. If cyclists around here made half that effort, animosity towards them would drop drastically.

The Texas Motor Vehicle Code says that cyclists riding abreast may not impede the reasonable flow of traffic. That's pretty much verbatim. The code also says that vehicles must leave enough room between them to allow another vehicle to safely enter the space. Since cyclists are capable of allowing the space between them, they are required to do so. Cyclists riding up each other's single file prevent other vehicles from working their way through and eventually passing the group.

Do people still drink while riding in CM? Lights are required by law for riding a bicycle at night, so I guess it's good that newcomers want them. I really think CM would be unnecessary if cyclists would just do what they're supposed to in the first place.
I don't wear a bicycle helmet. I always thought it was obsolete. I've witnessed 2 bicycle accidents and heard about numerous more, their helmets didn't do . all the rash and cuts were on their face and side of their heads.

But I do use hand signals and always use the most right hand part of the lane. Most people around here don't mind sharing the lane with me bc they can still pass with plenty of room on both sides between me and the lane of oncoming traffic.

I did encounter some bonehead that ran a flashing yellow arrow turning left almost into me.

And CM guys are 99% dickheads. "Hey lets make sure to off evryone downtown once a month so they know that people ride bicycles"

Who the thought clogging traffic for cagers would make them more open to you being on the road with them?
Liked this post:

Advertisement