Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Busa Chairman of Posing
Feedback Rating: (2)

If you like driving. Get off your mobile phone. It's killing people.

I'm the Motorcyclist You're Probably Going to Kill Chris Cantle October 7, 2016

Just for the sake of clarity, it'll probably be me you kill. Remember the massive uptick in deaths on American roads? The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration tells us it's come primarily at the expense of pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists. And around The Drive offices, that's me.

I could almost feel this latest data set in the wind. The roads feel more dangerous. The close calls are more frequent than they used to be—so frequent I hardly even think about them afterwards. My last two came in quick succession. The first was on a highway in Orange County.

It was a badass truck, big Chevy C10, all matte black and lowered, so I admired the thing as it pulled alongside me. And I felt the rumble of its exhaust reverberating off the concrete wall to my right, and took some pleasure in it, then turned my attention back to the traffic ahead of me. I don't know if the driver of the Chevy signaled before he swerved into my lane, but he didn't slow, so when he hit me it was a hard broadside. Some animal instinct and peripheral vision told me he was coming. Nowhere to go. I stood up just a little on the footpegs, the same animal instinct said maybe I'd have a little more control. And I loosened up as best could, the same animal instinct said that any panicked control inputs would only make for more trouble. Then I let the impact just firmly shove me a few lateral feet.

I took most of it on the leg, and the rest went into the bike’s crash bars and saddlebags. If you let them do their work, motorcycles have an amazing knack for straightening themselves out. This one did, and I stayed up. Mostly, I stayed lucky. Luck is important.

The driver was the nicest guy in the world, kinda guy I'd have a beer with. Kinda guy that would have showed up at my funeral. He gave me a giant hug as if to feel that I was still whole and I could feel him shaking from the adrenaline. I'm certain he was as surprised to hit me as I was to be hit. I'm equally certain he was on his phone.

A month later it almost happened again on my walk across Los Angeles. A big, new Ford pickup ran a stop sign as I sauntered through a crosswalk in Los Feliz. I jumped back. The guy missed me by inches. Me and my big straw cowboy hat. Me and a fluorescent yellow backpack. I couldn't have been more visible, but you have to look in order to see, and this was buried in his mobile phone.

Stand at any intersection as cars back up behind a red light. One after the other, necks crane downwards, faces light up in that blue-white glow. Indifference has become our routine. While the head of the NHTSA calls this latest increase in traffic deaths a crisis, I call our lack of attention a pandemic. We have to do better. Better at driving, but better at living too.

Or, in my case, I won't get to do either.

If you feel like you've earned the responsibility of controlling a 4000-lb metal bludgeon at 80 miles an hour. If you give a about reading motorcycle stories. If you think it's unfair that the spike in fatalities is coming at the expense of the least protected of us–the pedestrians and the bicyclists and motorcyclists–while modern cars coddle and protect their negligent drivers. If you find 17,775 traffic deaths in the first six months of the year offensive. If you like driving. Get off your mobile phone. It's killing people.
Originally Posted by melissa claire View Post
Busa club. why did you not mention that? that makes things all nice and peachy
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
t-mobile phone help southtexasgirl Off Topic 1 11-08-2009 08:11 AM
I Need A T-Mobile Phone !!!! lanzer913 Off Topic 9 08-14-2009 08:13 AM
Which T-mobile data phone to get? The Sooz Off Topic 15 06-14-2007 10:21 AM
Old 10-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

I was behind and almost and I mean inches head on collision on 149 just an hour ago.

Oncomming driver was certainly on his phone and he drifted over the double yellow in a corner.

I pulled up next to the driver and shook his hand. I thought for sure all 3 of us were gonners.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Was on the Beltway this morning and was waiting to change lanes because of an oncoming motorcycle. The car behind me didn't signal and just moved over on top of the motorcycle. After the car was 3/4 of the way in the lane the motorcycle got by him by squeezing in along the divider wall.

Very close call, would have been very bad. Fully dressed cruiser with loud pipes that didnt seem to make a difference in the awareness of the cager.
Schooley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
3rd coast

Harley sportster 1200 (sold)
CBR 600rr (sold)

I see it all the time on the seawall. People staring at their phone and not what is in front of them. Ive had plenty of close calls in my truck from these phone zombie idiots. I want to be back on two wheels, but living down here makes it hard to justify when i cant enjoy just cruising around.
Don't fear the Reaper.
Im so slow i ride Harleys so i can atleast sound fast
Reaper81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Feedback Rating: (14)

1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

If you like driving. Get off your mobile phone. It's killing people.

I hate the fuggin govt, and govt intervention into our lives...but I stand behind banning the use of mobile devices while behind the wheel.
I understand the consequences of my actions prior to engaging in those actions. . .there are certain situations in life where the risk is totally worth the reward.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"
Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

You just don't get it. They don't give a fruck about driving or other motorist but the cellphones are an addictiion. They should be put on the DEAs schedule 1 lists.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly!
The BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #7

why do you think the biggest innovation in cars right now is is all the self driving bull ?- it will hit the brakes for you if you are not looking - it will swerve back in to your lane if you start to drift out - cruise control that will speed up and slow down automatically - all so you can fumblefuck with your phone instead of driving. the biggest thing the auto makers push now is the improved connectivity/sync/wi-fi, etc all so you can do even more things in your car other than worry about driving. don't expect it to get any better
1slomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #8

2006 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
HD Evo in Paughco Rigid Frame

I really don't know what the deal is but the driving in this city is just getting worse and worse and worse. My blood pressure is off the charts these days anytime I'm behind the wheel or on two wheels from slow, inattentive drivers who aren't paying attention. Doing 10-15 below the speed limit in a travel lane with your head slumped sideways drooling on your shirt is just as bad as having your face buried in your phone. I'm going to lose it one day and just not let off the gas and let the cummins do whatever it wants. Ready to get out of Houston and leave it behind for good. I have literally sat at intersections before where we sat thru the whole green light without anyone moving, without anyone blowing on their horns because they were all on their phones or just asleep. I just cant handle it anymore.

Last edited by FXDS1340; 10-11-2016 at 12:19 AM.
FXDS1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #9

A Few

Almost got side swiped going to the NW bike night yesterday. Jackwagon was coming off 249 onto 1960 and plowed all the way over to the left lane without looking.

He was promptly stoped at the red light. I pulled up in front of him, looked and beeped my horn. The wouldn't look up from his cell phone---no acknowledgement. Be careful out there.
HondaTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #10

2010 Triumph Bonneville SE
2007 Ducati GT1000
2010 Triumph Bonneville RIP

Saw this Hispanic fothermucker today on 59 in a beat up red pickup on 2 (two) phones. One phone in each hand and driving with his forearm.
RUPNOK is offline   Reply With Quote