MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #61
HondaTrvlr
Just Like Herpes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
A Few

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBlackbird View Post
If you are presenting yourself as the Pied-Pier of a group ride, and as group leader you should lead by example......Whether it was a big group or a small ride,....
Racing on Public roads is not a good example for others to judge you by. Rewind a couple of years.....How did this Public road race turn out ?....Let's ask Jethro.....You still haven't learned have you..?
And now we have you standing up high on your "SoapBox", criticizing others for not being safe riders........
OH the Hypocrisy..........
Video Link.....
http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x...Video.mp4.html
attachmentphp?attachmentid202651&ampd1397841946
Guess I don't understand. Even private experienced group rides have off's. But it has always been a unwritten rule not to post the video's. I know first hand Kieth is good people. But does anyone here know you are? Can anyone voucher for you? Care to create a ride and invite people? I'll show.
HondaTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changes to my ride threads... Morgstang Events, Meets and Rides 76 04-24-2016 04:17 AM
Event ride/threads being moved to sponsors CaligoneTx Forum Updates & Feedback 21 07-21-2009 02:58 PM
two threads? 06fairedfz1 Off Topic 6 05-01-2009 05:33 PM
how many threads bunxx Off Topic 11 04-28-2009 12:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #62
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgstang View Post
I mention it to the group but havent singled the person out...guess i just dont want to ruffle feathers...we all have our ego's to uphold
You should contact that person and handle it on a one-on-one basis. You never know, it may go better than you think. Nothing wrong with positive criticism and giving someone the chance to correct their wrongs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #63
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
I mention it to the group but havent singled the person out...guess i just dont want to ruffle feathers...we all have our ego's to uphold
just do it.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #64
Morgstang

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
best thing to do is not respond. i think this has all been regurgitated before.
Your right...i will let you guys handle it like last time...
Old 09-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #65
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Your right...i will let you guys handle it like last time...
no prob.

Weekends in the fall are tough for me to ride becuase of UH Football and the TRF. but i'll be out soon. All has been taken care of since the last tinme we rode!!! LOL.

Also maybe you should make new riders who have not ridden with you ride behind the sweeper #1 (shuboogie), and behind them sweeper #2 (me).

Ive found having two sweepers works well.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #66
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Uh, you got the details wrong, but nice try.
Oh really.... He wasn't with you? He wasn't one of your Son's friends?

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #67
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by green600 View Post
Oh really.... He wasn't with you? He wasn't one of your Son's friends?
You got one detail correct, congrats

Here's another, he didn't show up reeking of alcohol
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #68
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
You got one detail correct, congrats

Here's another, he didn't show up reeking of alcohol
You would think he did the way he kept running off the road and endangering other riders.

Skillet doesn't drink but whatever you say.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #69
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
You would think he did the way he kept running off the road and endangering other riders.

Skillet doesn't drink but whatever you say.
Doesn't drink anymore or drink any less? What about the time Skillet showed up to the Shell/McDs on 242 & I-45?

The only rider he may have endangered was himself, which you should know, and obviously you don't know what I said to him.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #70
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Doesn't drink anymore or drink any less? What about the time Skillet showed up to the Shell/McDs on 242 & I-45?

The only rider he may have endangered was himself, which you should know, and obviously you don't know what I said to him.
You've got me confused dude I have never been to the PP spot. Sry hun

No he endangered others but he wasn't the only one riding with a death wish that morning in the fog. last MH group ride I did.

Next time I catch you at Kroger's I will introduce myself if I am not too drunk.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #71
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Next time I catch you at Kroger's I will introduce myself if I am not too drunk.
Sure you will
Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #72
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Sure you will
Promise.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #73
WABFZ1
Old Age Crazy

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1 (sold)
2009 Yamaha FZ1 (deformed)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750

Getting back on the original post topic; here are a few of my opinions:
* Sometimes you can see unsafe riding without question, and those are the ones who need to either be talked to, or stay home. If they would only listen and understand.
* Many people do not want to admit to others, or even to themselves that they are riding beyond their capabilities. The result is they are riding far out of their comfort zone, and if the least little thing goes wrong, then the rider goes down. (Don't ask me how I know this).
* It is almost impossible to patrol every individual in the entire group. The sweeper cannot observe more than maybe 3 to 5 bikes ahead. What if there are 15 in the group. The Leader cannot be looking back, and the rear view mirror is not good enough to see every action that others take.
* If everyone would leave lots of space between themselves and those ahead, that would help, but the group could get spread far apart. I usually leave lots of space, but many riders don't enjoy the ride doing that.
* Different riding styles as how to approach a corner will cause different riders to "accordion" together occasionally. For example:
1. Do you properly judge the speed for a corner and close the throttle at the right time, not using the brakes, so that as you start into the corner you are just at the right speed? OR
2. Do you approach the corner a little fast, then use the brakes before entering the corner to regulate speed. And there might be times where you apply the brakes really hard, because you start to panic about the corner. OR
3. Some might ride like they were on a track, where they stay on the gas till the last minute, then use the brakes heavily, and trail off into the corner.

* By mixing these different styles, then the rider behind may have to use the brakes, when he is already using all his traction in cornering, and goes down because of it.
* Some riders are just not very smooth in their actions, and this impacts those around him.
* And there are other times where a rider does things that are very subtle, that may upset those around him, but it is hard to identify or describe.
* If the pace is too slow, then some may get impatient and take chances.
PART OF THE PROBLEM, IS TO DESCRIBE EXACTLY WHAT THE RIDER IS DOING THAT MAKES IT UNSAFE. LET'S SAY YOU APPROACH THE RIDER AND TELL HIM HE IS APPLYING THE BRAKES TOO HARD BEFORE A CORNER. HOW HARD IS TOO HARD? NOT EASY TO INSTRUCT SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS, ESPECIALLY IF HE IS A KNUCKLEHEAD TO BEGIN WITH.
So unless the team is very well matched and experienced, then a Group ride is inherently prone to have unsteadiness. The larger the group; or the more unknown riders; and the wider the experience and skill level, the worse it gets. PERHAPS HAVING SMALL GROUPS OF PEOPLE WHO YOU KNOW THEIR SKILL LEVELS WOULD WORK, BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO: TELL SOMEBODY WHO HAS RIDDEN OUT 40 MILES THAT THEY CANNOT RIDE WITH THE GROUP? IT IS A VERY DIFFICULT PROBLEM, UNLESS THE GROUP IS REALLY RESTRICTED.

I believe that Keith has the right idea about having the faster riders up front, and the slower riders progressively toward the back - works well. But the problem is in gaining everybody's understanding of the system, and also realizing realistically where they truly fit into the skill spectrum. Too many egos get in the way. I don't have any answers, just observations. Sorry to be so wordy. I have trouble being brief.
1982 Kawasaki KZ750

Last edited by WABFZ1; 09-19-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Revise wording for better understanding of the message.
WABFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #74
BigMonkey
BigMonkey

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha VMax
2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650
2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure

OK. Here is my opinion if anyone cares.

1) Keith does a fantastic job of organizing these rides and keeping a pretty large group of different bikes and skill levels safe and having fun. Period. Week after week, consistently FOR FREE..He does it just out of the love of the ride.

2) ALL of the problems and potential problems are usually caused by "that guy" who changes from time to time. We have all been "that guy" at one time or another.

3) "That guy" is usually a new guy, with not enough (or any) gear, who has a new bike that is way beyond his skill level (Read GSXR 1000 or similar)
He has something to prove (ultimately to himself) That causes him to over ride his skill, and make all the other, more experienced guys nervous as he is too close, too fast, passing in corners or some such dangerous beginner behavior.

4) I think we should form a core group of experienced riders beginning with Keith, followed by his wife, and then per-certify who belongs in the group by group vote.
We have a kick group of riders that I LOVE to ride with. This needs to not be an open group. We vote in people (me included) that then can just join at any time.

5) we then take new prospects out on a couple of rides BEFORE they can just join up. We take 2-3 at the most on any given ride. We come up with a basic list of do's and dont's and make it clear before we ride what those are. Then we evaluate their performance and give detailed feedback after the ride. After a couple of "abide by the rules, wear your gear, and dont be a dummy" rides, they are then "certified" and then voted (or not) into the group.

I welcome feedback to any of these ideas. I hate all this in-fighting. We need to figure this out, get along, and have WAY too much fun (safely)
That ultimately leads to problems (crash) or death (see crash).
BigMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #75
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

I've never seen green drink. You sure you have the right guy Beev?
Old 09-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #76
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABFZ1 View Post
Getting back on the original post topic; here are a few of my opinions:
* Sometimes you can see unsafe riding without question, and those are the ones who need to either be talked to, or stay home. If they would only listen and understand.
* Many people do not want to admit to others, or even to themselves that they are riding beyond their capabilities. The result is they are riding far out of their comfort zone, and if the least little thing goes wrong, then the rider goes down. (Don't ask me how I know this).
* It is almost impossible to patrol every individual in the entire group. The sweeper cannot observe more than maybe 3 to 5 bikes ahead. What if there are 15 in the group. The Leader cannot be looking back, and the rear view mirror is not good enough to see every action that others take.
* If everyone would leave lots of space between themselves and those ahead, that would help, but the group could get spread far apart. I usually leave lots of space, but many riders don't enjoy the ride doing that.
* Different riding styles as how to approach a corner will cause different riders to "accordion" together occasionally. For example:
1. Do you properly judge the speed for a corner and close the throttle at the right time, not using the brakes, so that as you start into the corner you are just at the right speed? OR
2. Do you approach the corner a little fast, then use the brakes before entering the corner to regulate speed. And there might be times where you apply the brakes really hard, because you start to panic about the corner. OR
3. Some might ride like they were on a track, where they stay on the gas till the last minute, then use the brakes heavily, and trail off into the corner.

* By mixing these different styles, then the rider behind may have to use the brakes, when he is already using all his traction in cornering, and goes down because of it.
* Some riders are just not very smooth in their actions, and this impacts those around him.
* And there are other times where a rider does things that are very subtle, that may upset those around him, but it is hard to identify or describe.
* If the pace is too slow, then some may get impatient and take chances.
PART OF THE PROBLEM, IS TO DESCRIBE EXACTLY WHAT THE RIDER IS DOING THAT MAKES IT UNSAFE. LET'S SAY YOU APPROACH THE RIDER AND TELL HIM HE IS APPLYING THE BRAKES TOO HARD BEFORE A CORNER. HOW HARD IS TOO HARD? NOT EASY TO INSTRUCT SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS, ESPECIALLY IF HE IS A KNUCKLEHEAD TO BEGIN WITH.
So unless the team is very well matched and experienced, then a Group ride is inherently prone to have unsteadiness. The larger the group; or the more unknown riders; and the wider the experience and skill level, the worse it gets. PERHAPS HAVING SMALL GROUPS OF PEOPLE WHO YOU KNOW THEIR SKILL LEVELS WOULD WORK, BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO: TELL SOMEBODY WHO HAS RIDDEN OUT 40 MILES THAT THEY CANNOT RIDE WITH THE GROUP? IT IS A VERY DIFFICULT PROBLEM, UNLESS THE GROUP IS REALLY RESTRICTED.

I believe that Keith has the right idea about having the faster riders up front, and the slower riders progressively toward the back - works well. But the problem is in gaining everybody's understanding of the system, and also realizing realistically where they truly fit into the skill spectrum. Too many egos get in the way. I don't have any answers, just observations. Sorry to be so wordy. I have trouble being brief.
Bill brings up a good point about riding styles.

I myself like to be smooth and never use brakes, and some people like to park it in the corners.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #77
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I've never seen green drink. You sure you have the right guy Beev?
He must be a rider that never made an impression on me
Old 09-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #78
FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMonkey View Post
OK. Here is my opinion if anyone cares.

1) Keith does a fantastic job of organizing these rides and keeping a pretty large group of different bikes and skill levels safe and having fun. Period. Week after week, consistently FOR FREE..He does it just out of the love of the ride.

2) ALL of the problems and potential problems are usually caused by "that guy" who changes from time to time. We have all been "that guy" at one time or another.

3) "That guy" is usually a new guy, with not enough (or any) gear, who has a new bike that is way beyond his skill level (Read GSXR 1000 or similar)
He has something to prove (ultimately to himself) That causes him to over ride his skill, and make all the other, more experienced guys nervous as he is too close, too fast, passing in corners or some such dangerous beginner behavior.

4) I think we should form a core group of experienced riders beginning with Keith, followed by his wife, and then per-certify who belongs in the group by group vote.
We have a kick group of riders that I LOVE to ride with. This needs to not be an open group. We vote in people (me included) that then can just join at any time.

5) we then take new prospects out on a couple of rides BEFORE they can just join up. We take 2-3 at the most on any given ride. We come up with a basic list of do's and dont's and make it clear before we ride what those are. Then we evaluate their performance and give detailed feedback after the ride. After a couple of "abide by the rules, wear your gear, and dont be a dummy" rides, they are then "certified" and then voted (or not) into the group.

I welcome feedback to any of these ideas. I hate all this in-fighting. We need to figure this out, get along, and have WAY too much fun (safely)
That ultimately leads to problems (crash) or death (see crash).
Are you suggesting Keith start his own MC!? Sounds like a good idea. He can call it the Brenham RoadRunners. Patch me in! Keith will be the President and I'll be the Enforcer, who only enforces when the temps are 80 or below. lol
FZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #79
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45767

Its called "the pace"