MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
RIP11

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2004 GSXR 600 track

Send a message via AIM to RIP11
friday track day

its been a few years since I've had a bike and been to the track and i finally got another bike and was thinking about going to TWS (Texas World Speedway) in october with LSTD. Ive never been to a friday track day, is it any different from any other day because of the CMRA going on the days after?
RIP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Yes, this is a very different track day. Two of the groups are for novice and expert racers. The street group is comprised of non racers and racers on light weight bikes. The street group is not for new riders. If you have not ridden in a few years I would recommend that you wait for a regular track day.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Those light weight guys have no mercy hahah
Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

LSTD track days before race weekends are intense. Since LW is now in the "street" group, it is basically 3 racer groups.

This is also the last LSTD day, and maybe the last race weekend at TWS (Texas World Speedway), so it will be packed

Like Ek said, perhaps wait for a Ride Smart day....
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

I really like Friday track days. I prefer LW group on Fridays (riding street bike), than some A- groups on other days. It's not really that crowded. Going to be there in October for last LSTD...
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
Those light weight guys have no mercy hahah
^^THIS^^
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

It won't be packed because we're not going to compromise safety. There will be our traditional cap on riders in the "Street" group.

The "novice" and "expert" racer groups will be fast, way faster than a regular track day with very close passing.

The "Street" group will be fast too, more akin to our "A" group. It's not for beginners, it's for seasoned track day riders who have lots of track days under their belts. If you're a level 1, or 2 rider at ride smart, it's not for you. It's going to be much faster than ride smart level 3. We also may ask people to leave if they don't fit in to the group. We take safety seriously.

See y'all there!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
RIP11

Bike(s):
2004 GSXR 600 track

Send a message via AIM to RIP11
thanks for the info, I'm going to pass on the friday track day this time around until I'm back up to speed.
RIP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
Mace
Wisdom

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

you're doing the right thing . The best track days I've ridden have been on Friday with LSTD , no passing rules and them 250 haul though the turns . I'm old so I needed an SV650 to keep up. Hope they enjoyed it as much as me.
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
ConcordEagle

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP11 View Post
its been a few years since I've had a bike and been to the track and i finally got another bike and was thinking about going to TWS (Texas World Speedway) in october with LSTD. Ive never been to a friday track day, is it any different from any other day because of the CMRA going on the days after?
The key difference between lstd and Ridemsart are the passing rules. Unless you are a licensed racer you will register in the "B-Group/Intermediate Street" level, which does allow inside passing. This is a combination of what Ridesmart would consider Level 1,2, and 3 (non racer) riders, except they do allow 250cc racers in B group. I've had the most fun and recorded my fastest laps in the LSTD B group, you will love it, just come with an open mind and be prepared to get passed (a lot) and learn from trying to catch faster riders.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about from the previous LSTD event at TWS (Texas World Speedway):

ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcordEagle View Post
T

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about from the previous LSTD event at TWS (Texas World Speedway):

]
Did the dude flip you off at the end, in T3?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
Did the dude flip you off at the end, in T3?
Lol, that would have been awesome, but I think he was acknowledging his pass was too close for comfort even for lstd standards. Him and Tommy were killing it on the 390s that day, those things are fast on corners. I want one!
Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
castrolr1
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
R1 followed me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP11 View Post
Don't sweat it, and don't miss out on the last track ride there. I've been out for 4 years but i'm going..Don't be scared
castrolr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #14
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
It won't be packed because we're not going to compromise safety. There will be our traditional cap on riders in the "Street" group.

The "novice" and "expert" racer groups will be fast, way faster than a regular track day with very close passing.

The "Street" group will be fast too, more akin to our "A" group. It's not for beginners, it's for seasoned track day riders who have lots of track days under their belts. If you're a level 1, or 2 rider at ride smart, it's not for you. It's going to be much faster than ride smart level 3. We also may ask people to leave if they don't fit in to the group. We take safety seriously.

See y'all there!
With all due respect, if that is the case then why sell intermidiate street group level B slots.

Sounds more like the entire day should just be A group / racer practice and the street group should just become a lightweight category.

Would not be good form to turn people away for not being A level or fitting in with racers after they signed up for B level street group slots with no racers taking part.

I know you guys run a great program and I'd expect you'd offer a credit for anyone that legitimately didn't fit, but tow money and more importantly people's time are things you cannot cover or recover.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcordEagle View Post
Lol, that would have been awesome, but I think he was acknowledging his pass was too close for comfort even for lstd standards. Him and Tommy were killing it on the 390s that day, those things are fast on corners. I want one!
They're fun. I was filming Dave and yeah, he was "apologizing" for the pass. Sometimes it's tough to remind yourself that the rules are different when riding those things!
The "B" group rules for passing are (were) 6', inside or outside passes. Basically giving room and respect. Sometimes we eff'd that rule up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
With all due respect, if that is the case then why sell intermidiate street group level B slots.
Sounds more like the entire day should just be A group / racer practice and the street group should just become a lightweight category.
Would not be good form to turn people away for not being A level or fitting in with racers after they signed up for B level street group slots with no racers taking part.
I know you guys run a great program and I'd expect you'd offer a credit for anyone that legitimately didn't fit, but tow money and more importantly people's time are things you cannot cover or recover.
Great points. This October 7th is our last event, but I'll try to explain what the thoughts were when we started doing Friday pre-CMRA practice events.

Basically, the "Expert" and "Novice" groups historically did not get too full. MOST of the racers utilizing those events only came for the afternoon sessions and chose the half-day option (which probably may not be available this event if things stay consistent with pre-registration). In order to help defray the costs of providing the events, we sold the "Street" group to those who wanted to have a track day but aren't racers. We have more A/B group riders than C group alone, so it made sense to have an A/B group and call it "street" group.

We published the qualifications, there's not anything more we could do to help folks sign up/ not sign up to events. It's unfortunate that people spent the money to travel, but ultimately, we couldn't hold everyone's hands when the sign up- the onus is ultimately on them to sign up for the appropriate group. It's a business model that has worked for 16 years very well. We're the first provider in Texas and had a great run at it!

There are/ were other providers who don't seem to mind letting riders sign up and ride in the improper groups or over filling groups; we chose not to create that business model. If it happened with us, we'd simply give them a credit to another event and thank them for their business. Since this is the last ever event for us (unless someone buys the business I guess... ) then that's just not possible. I guess we'll end up giving refunds

But anyway, the "Street" group has actually become the lightweight group on Fridays. Regardless, the pace will be fast and it's not for those who are new to track riding. Only those who are experienced and fast enough to normally ride in the A or fast B group riders should sign up for the Street group.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #16
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
This October 7th is our last event, but I'll try to explain what the thoughts were when we started doing Friday pre-CMRA practice events.
I didn't know it was the last event for the company! Totally understand your explaination. I road with you guys last time out at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and have to say I was very impressed with your org and it will certainly be missed. It must seem like a life's work coming to and end after 16 years. Thanks for your efforts and for spoiling us while it lasted.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
It must seem like a life's work coming to and end after 16 years. Thanks for your efforts and for spoiling us while it lasted.
Thanks!

There's the rub though... it became a "job" and we just don't have the time to keep this up really. It's a lot of work and other things just keep pushing the track days further down the priority line (family, kids, work... ).
Old 10-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #18
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

For those of you unable to make it Friday, here's what you missed. As always, LSTD puts on the best track days and I love their format and flexible passing rules, they will be missed..

There was only one lowside the whole day even though the group was PACKED with all levels of riders, including licensed racers and TWS (Texas World Speedway) first-timers, plus I logged a new PB of 2:10, evidence the B rules work and a model to follow for other trackday promoters.

Enjoy:

Here are all my recorded sessions of the day:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...OTyZr861of9Ath
Old 10-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #19
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

Great videos. Had alot fun on the track (I was also running in Street Group). Eventhough it was crowded (more than normal for Fri track day) it was really fun and crashes were minimal (except the Expert group crash that closed the track for almost an hour later in the evening)
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #20
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Anyone have a video of the T4 endo in expert? Asking on behalf of the crashee as all he has is a grainy cellphone-of-a-computer-screen video.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote