MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
criticalerror

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL
Rat bike (work in progress) Iron Head Sportster

"If you ride you slide"

An old saying i've heard a lot. True in my case unfortunatly. After all that work a did to my Lowrider a frackin Nissan Pathfinder hit me on July 24th on my way home from work. He pulled over into my lane without seeing me, clipped me pushing me into the lane to my left which had slower traffic. Not sure on the details at this point as I hit the back of a Surburban and then hit the road. Not even sure how long I slid before coming to stop. I remember staring up at the sky asking to keep the other cages from running me over which he did. After realizing I was still alive I picked myself up off the road and went to my bike which was a bit up the road from where i stopped. Seems the bike landed on my right leg when I hit the ground and slid 1 way and i slid the other.

GEAR: Riding boots (damaged), Leather jacket (damaged), backpack (damaged), finger less gloves (no damage), and blue jeans (shreaded). No helmet.

Injuries: Right side of body bruised and swollen, minor concussion, sprained right ankle, cracked rib, minor cuts and road rash.

I believe the backpack saved my life. Because of its foam padding and thickness it kept the back of my head from skinning down the road.

So yeah, I had an Angel riding with me that day. Bike is in the shop for 6-8 weeks. My new exhaust, pegs, and controls all have to be replaced. Front end and front wheel have to be replaced along with all the sheet metal. Because my bike is 100th anniversary, the shop has to send in the damaged tank and fenders with the emblems and a copy of my title before Harley will send new parts.

All in all I am 1 luck boys! I doubt i will continue to commute to work on the bike and I wont ride again without a helmet. No since in pushing my luck eh!

I'll post pics of the bike tomorrow. Today is my first day back to work in a week and 1/2.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W Saturday Morning Ride " IN" Ride 12/01/2012 (Noob Friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 193 12-05-2012 09:38 AM
Good Bye "Habeas Corpus", Hello "Enemy Belligerent Act of 2010" CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 70 03-12-2010 03:22 PM
Friday fkn 50 ride for all you "gangsta's" that like to ride street & lots ANTISOCIAL Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 35 05-02-2009 05:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

good that you made it out alive.

One of the first things I do when I buy a new cage is put blind spot mirrors on it. I see so many people dont have them and alot of drivers dont even look. Some people dont even know what a blind spot is, it ****ing me off when I am riding with someone and they dont check their blind spot. **** people, you have to look.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Dude I hope you make a quick recovery. The Lord was indeed with you that day .
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
ninjathatcould
UHD BPOC 241

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 EX250
(Totaled 08 XB12R)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to ninjathatcould
It's unfortunate that it takes something like this to make you realize you need a helmet. I'm glad you're ok, but save your brain and wear a lid.

ninjathatcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
level5
moving chicane

Glad that you are alive and well to tell the story.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Glad your okay

Sorry to hear about the shredded jeans :laughing6 j/k hope you get well soon and resume your riding don't let this one bad thing keep you off your bike. If this guy did not see you he probably would not have seen your car either. Always good to hear people say that they will wear their helmet
I am sure that your Family is glad to hear that you are okay as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

ya gotta watch for that !!! Cagers are hungry bike eaters and will stop at nothing to get you!!

Seriously though, glad you made it. Keep an eye out for that every time you ride/drive. Cagers making left turns and lane changes....seriously deadly there.
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Hoguer
Hoguer

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda VTX 1300C
Honda VTX 1300C

Dud!!!! That is crazy. has a something for you to make it out of that one. Good luck stay safe.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

Glad you made out of it.
Shame about your bike tho...
Ride safe
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
Glad you alright man

where are the pictures?!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

I'm glad you survived. You are one lucky guy to not be damaged too bad. Must have been the fingerless gloves that saved your life! Traffic is bad here, not sure why peeps here don't like to use mirrors or turn signals but it is a fact of life. Heal up quick!

This one had it coming - This one found a vein
This one was an accident, but never gave me pain
This one was my fathers and This one you can't see
This one had me scared to death,
[U]But I guess I should be glad I'm not dead[/U]

Yes I am made of scars
That's what I'm made of!![/CENTER]
Dub_B83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #12
gixxerbill

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Glad you are ok and this a really cool thread with alot people giving credit to for sparing your . is Good. MAybe there is hope for this country yet with all the evolution and being taught in schools.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

wow man. glad you made it out with such minor injuries. things coulda been reeeal ugly.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #14
blaqqwarrior
R.I.P. Coach....

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
02 cbr 954rr

Send a message via Yahoo to blaqqwarrior
dayum bro, really glad you made it out with your life. just like azylum stated, it really could of gotten very ugly.
blaqqwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #15
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
Dude I hope you make a quick recovery. The Lord was indeed with you that day .
+1 to that indeed, so many don't get another chance, its a good thing to have with you, sometimes he serves as a frame slider for humans to keep you from major harm, mebbe just enough to learn a lesson somewhere in the mix. Even with all my ways, he still chooses to ride with me, amazing grace indeed.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #16
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub_B83 View Post
I'm glad you survived. You are one lucky guy to not be damaged too bad. Must have been the fingerless gloves that saved your life! Traffic is bad here, not sure why peeps here don't like to use mirrors or turn signals but it is a fact of life. Heal up quick!
:laughing6

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #17
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Glad you are ok and this a really cool thread with alot people giving credit to for sparing your . is Good. MAybe there is hope for this country yet with all the evolution and being taught in schools.
yup to the first part and :laughing6 to the last part:laughing6

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #18
Seth
F T W

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

Send a message via AIM to Seth
Aww, is someone not familiar with the multi-quote feature?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #19
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
Aww, is someone not familiar with the multi-quote feature?
not that at all, just to old to care, I read, I respond via quote.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #20
criticalerror

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL
Rat bike (work in progress) Iron Head Sportster

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for your concern and support. I totally give it up to . I retract 2 previous statements. It wasnt the backpack that saved my life, it was the voice that told me to wear it that morning (i've never wore a backpack to work before and had to dig that 1 out of a closet). Also, when I said I am 1 lucky . What I meant is that I am 1 very fortunate .

I still believe that wearing safety gear may or may not increase your chance of having postive quality of life after an accident but the decision of life or death still rest in the hands of .

My opinion is this: when its your time, its your time. Dosent matter if you are riding, driving, flying, walking, standing, ect.

Oh yeah, pictures! I only have a few at the office and most are real close ups of the damage. So, here is 1 and i'll have to post a more later.

DSC0069deleted

I guess when I hit the back of the suburban it twisted the front forks so hard to the right that it broke the fork stop and the forks turned in and crushed the gas tank. The bolt that is circled is what caused the hole in the gas tank, also circled in red.

I'll post some pics I have of the entire right side of the bike. It surprisingly doesnt look that bad. If I had to guess, I would say i hit the back of the suburban at 30 -40 mph. I ride wrist up naturaly so when the guy cliped me on the right it turned my wrist down and I accelerated into the other lane. I do remember slamming the brakes before impact which may have helped some. Again, just writing about it ... man ... the bike and me = very fortunate.

Be safe out there guys. Personally I can't wait to get back on 2 wheels. 6 more weeks of physical therapy on my leg and neck and i'll be back in the saddle (granted Harley has my parts ready by then).

Advertisement