MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Sponsorship / Support

I was cleaning out my file cabinet the other day and I found something I wrote.

I wrote this many years ago, albeit from the other side of the coin, as an aspiring roadracer looking for help.

Many years later, in the early '90's when I owned a shop that primarily built racebikes, I reworded it.

After finding it again, I've added to it / refined it, but the gist is still there.

Sponsorship / Support

As a sponsor, whether it be for a person (racer or stunter), or organization MH, CMRA, etc., we have a responsibility to the entity we're sponsoring; Provide the best support we can. Whether it be monetary, tuning, wrenching or answering tech questions, we must strive to provide the best services, give the best answer to questions / provide advice, regardless whether we profit from it or not.

If we're sponsoring a rider, racer or stunter, we must try to EXCEED the expectations of the contract, if there is one, in order to provide a platform for the sponsored entity to succeed.

On the flip side, the supported / sponsored entity also has responsibilities / obligations.
Chief among these are positive representation, referrals, and last but not least LOYALTY.

Sponsorship is a two way street that many on both sides of the business lose sight of.
There needs to be a relationship built on the trust that each side is at the least, abiding by the terms of the agreement, and hopefully each is striving to exceed the terms of the agreement.

However, in my experience, that doesn't necessarily hold true. People call to get advice on an item, and then purchase it online or somewhere else to save $5 or $10.00.

Sponsored riders put your sticker on their bike, but then represent another shop, refer others to another shop, or just don't even try to refer people to the sponsors shop.

The whole thing makes me sick.

There are 3 things in my life that I hold in the highest regard; the truth, ethics and loyalty.

Unfortunately, I, as well as many others in this sport, are let down / betrayed on a regular basis; we extend a hand to help, only to have it or shat on.:eh::BangHead:

I've become a bit callous from being taken advantage of.

I find that if I have been betrayed / taken advantage of, I typically will do to do anything I can to ensure that the person that did it has any chance for future sponsorship by anyone minimized, sort of a "blackballing" if you have it.

Call it vindictive, but until you've stood in my shoes, you can't begin to understand.

Believe me, other sponsors pay attention as well; if you fvck me, you will probably fvck them too.

With so many talented up and comers, why would a potential sponsor waste time, effort and money on someone that takes it for granted or fvcks you?

Why do I keep doing it then you might ask?

Because I love this sport.

Because SOMETIMES people do the right thing.

Because long ago I was helped and have never forgotten it.

Because even today, people / organizations help me and I do not forget it.

Because people who are loyal to me receive my loyalty in return, in spades.

Some of the tone of the original letter has changed, initially from naiveté' and enthusiasm, to realism tinged with a bit of cynicism.

In the end, if you find yourself in a position where someone offers to help you, don't take it for granted.

As usual, my 2 cents, YMMV.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newenough sponsorship RACER X Taking it to the Track 3 01-09-2008 12:08 PM
TMGP Sponsorship hotnanas Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 04-30-2007 12:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO PATRICK AND HIS GUYS FOR GETTING ME THE ITEMS I ASK OF AND ORDER FROM THEM ASAP, I MEAN THAT I GOT THING FASTER FROM PATRICK THAT I COULDNT GET DRIVEING TO WALMART YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
RESPECT TO THOSE WHO DESERVE IT!

SORRY FOR ANY SPELLING!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

I truly appreciate your words!

Please understand though, my purpse for posting tihs is not to "troll" for props, but to shed some light on how things are.

Thanks!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

wow ... very insightful. Loyalty is a hard thing to keep. Shouldn't be ... but it is. I ride 90 miles round trip to see Patrick ... I wouldn't do that if I didn't have faith in him and his shop. I "could" save a few dollars here and there buying stuff online like he said ... but where would I get the service and the advice? How much is that worth?

I've always made it a point to try and support the locals ... even when the locals were 45 miles away ... regardless of my hobbies ... R/C vehicles, guitars or motorcycles, I've always looked for a way to keep the money in the neighborhood ... it's just good karma.

I know I'll never be in a position to get Motorcycles Unlimited's support (as a sponsor), but they'll have mine... it's a matter of principle.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

Yes i do understand and i was not implying that you were fishing but , i think well i can understand that this post hold alot of truth , i am no shop owner nor am i a racer but i have as you say been fvcked and mostly by family and that sucks, i think that mh is doing a great job and the fact that this is a family venue and we have the luck of sponcers and discounts that we should app. that and show some loyalty to those that help us in our every day problems, teck or otherwise.

any way thanks
Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Thank You!!!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 08-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Patrick and his crew @ Motorcycles Unlimited have been there for me from day 1.
From repairing my bikes after get offs to answering complex & simple questions over the phone so I can complete a task myself.
For this support I feel honored to purchase 99.9% of all of my motorcycle needs from him and his crew.
Patrick, I cannot thank you enough for everything you have done over the past few years. I wear the Motorcycles Unlimited Stickers on all of my bikes proudly and refer everyone I can to the best shop in Houston.

Keep up the great work :
Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Badzx14r
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
kraelo
Love Breaks up Families

Bike(s):
None

This brings up a topic , I can't even find in 'search' .... where do I get stickers ? My bike is pure black and i'd like to break that up a bit with an Motorcycles Unlimited sticker and MH.com sticker somewhere. I'll buy them, not looking for freebies or anything.

-daniel
Dear Friend, First i must solicit for your strictest confidence in this transaction and I pray that my decision to contact you will be given genuine approval considering the fact that we have not know each other before. Your urgent response is highly needed. -Kraelo
kraelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Patrick, you and your crew are great and you guys are the only place I will take my bike, I will say though if I had the money I would be there alot more:icon_bigg
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
patrick you know you put yourself out there for people day in and day out , offer you advice even if they may not like it and stand up for your word. Everyone should respect you for that and show you the respect you give them.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
Cody_Rules
this.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
the only person I know that is sponsored by you is Joe and I know he is loyal to your shop even when he might have friends at other places he still remains loyal to you. I am curious where does this all stem from? I am confused...
Old 08-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
kraelo
Love Breaks up Families

Bike(s):
None

It's just something he found and wrote a LONG time ago, maybe he's just venting

-daniel

p.s. he's not attacking anyone or anything like that ...
Dear Friend, First i must solicit for your strictest confidence in this transaction and I pray that my decision to contact you will be given genuine approval considering the fact that we have not know each other before. Your urgent response is highly needed. -Kraelo
kraelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
good write up, i know ill be looking for some sponsors soon since this raceing thing is getting expensive but i do try and get most my parts and service from Motorcycles Unlimited and tell people about Motorcycles Unlimited. Sure i may not have a sticker on my bike and im not nesscessarly looking for money but jst advice and some help with the stuff i dont know about. Id consider Motorcycles Unlimited a sponser his crew is always hooking it up and patrick is there to give advice. I know im going to be there as soon as i get my new rear shock put on to get my suspension set up, it feels bad right now needs some work. +1 to Motorcycles Unlimited
Old 08-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Hey Pat you KNOW I can relate, this is a tough business.
Loyalty in this industry is rare, but I know were we both stand on that issue.
Truth & ethics.....even rare...er.
Throughout my 2 years of partnership with you, I think I learned alot about business and how to run a business, honestly and with integrity.

That I can't thank you enough for

Peace Bro
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #16
Javi
Siempre positivo..

i dont think someone would bite the had that feeds them that would be stupid.. and in that case blackballing isnt gana fix anything losing a friend would be more than enough... :confused1
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:05 AM   #17
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
i dont think someone would bite the had that feeds them that would be stupid.. and in that case blackballing isnt gana fix anything losing a friend would be more than enough... :confused1
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #18
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

Javi, I know you haven't been in the business long, and hopefully you may be one of the lucky ones who will never have it happen, but believe me, it does regularly.:BangHead:
Even if it's just to the extent that people are your friends that weren't before, just because you have a shop. (I'm not implying that about you or yours, just making a general statement.)

Heck, there was even a similar thread several months ago on the CMRA website about the very same thing.

Unfortunately it happens.

Hutch / kawijm knows what I'm talking about. It was a shock to him initially several years ago when he got into the biz.

Anyways, I found the paper I wrote all those years ago, and I thought it was something I'd like to share, and, I felt the need to vent as well.

Take care sir!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #19
Htown1000
Bleed the Block

Bike(s):
Red and Black Gixxer 1000

I hear what your sayiing Patrick and that is important.. Last time i needed work on my bike we rode all the way to your shop from katy.. while up there we saw swift E and Rob78... That says alot to me because all 4 of us were on 1960 from katy.. You will continue to get my business so when i get a chance my bike will be there at 10k..
thanks bro!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #20
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage