Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
Track_Graphics

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

I'm sure you have an opinion on ABS

So a car pulled out in front of my kid. He was riding a 2006 CBR1000RR in town at 40mph or so. He already made up his mind "This is GOING TO HAPPEN. I'm going to hit the rear fender." because the car driver had some kind of weird panic thing going and actually hit the brakes. Stopped right infrunna him.

Had the car driver simply kept going it prolly woulda just been a near miss. In reality it actually did turn out to be a near miss (touch) because the rear tire on the bike locked up and he did a little fishtail and slid sideways right up to the rear fender and just touched against it with the right rearset. He said it really surprised him that he wasn't picking himself up on the opposite side of the car.

With ABS something would have been bent.

So - has ABS ever been a pro or con for you?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABS Vs. Non ABS FowleR6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 98 10-06-2012 01:10 PM
abs modules pwned Off Topic 1 12-05-2011 04:29 AM
Fiberglass or ABS Infinite General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-06-2010 10:41 AM
Fiberglass or ABS Dreamer!? General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 02-09-2010 01:40 PM
ABS Test Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-04-2009 07:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Are you saying if he had ABS he would have hit the car? You understand a locked up tire takes a longer amount of time to stop right?

I am not sure ABS would ever be a bad thing to have unless you are on the track.
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Are you saying if he had ABS he would have hit the car?
Yup, sliding tires won't stop you quicker than rolling tires. But - in this case, with ABS he would have continued straight into the car. When it locked up it cause the bike to slide sideways stopping just as the rearset touched the fender.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

For me I don't like ABS. I like to slide the rear end sometimes Iit's fun especially on the track and in the paddock around.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
Yup, sliding tires won't stop you quicker than rolling tires. But - in this case, with ABS he would have continued straight into the car. When it locked up it cause the bike to slide sideways stopping just as the rearset touched the fender.
However, if his wheel wasnt locked up he would have stopped shorter

I understand you probably have developed an opinion but I think 99 times out of 100 he ends up in a better outcome with an ABS bike vs. not. He is very lucky regardless and should probably purchase a powerball ticket.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
FastLife1K
Howdy

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 DR-650
'07 gsx-r 1000 (Sold)
2008 Ninja 250 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR (sold)
'09 GSXR 600 (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to FastLife1K Send a message via Yahoo to FastLife1K
Glad he is okay and I think each (no ABS or having ABS) has a situation where the other would be better.

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
FastLife1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Haven't tried ABS(actually needed it when riding a bike that had one) but I'd imagine not being able to skid the rear tire would be kind of lame.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
So a car pulled out in front of my kid. He was riding a 2006 CBR1000RR in town at 40mph or so. He already made up his mind "This is GOING TO HAPPEN. I'm going to hit the rear fender." because the car driver had some kind of weird panic thing going and actually hit the brakes. Stopped right infrunna him.

Had the car driver simply kept going it prolly woulda just been a near miss. In reality it actually did turn out to be a near miss (touch) because the rear tire on the bike locked up and he did a little fishtail and slid sideways right up to the rear fender and just touched against it with the right rearset. He said it really surprised him that he wasn't picking himself up on the opposite side of the car.

With ABS something would have been bent.

So - has ABS ever been a pro or con for you?
You're able to steer with ABS, plus had he used full braking on the front he might have stopped short.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
chase
LOCTITE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

If you can threshold brake, non-ABS is always better. Abs only pulsates brake pressure, you lose braking power.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #10
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
If you can threshold brake, non-ABS is always better. Abs only pulsates brake pressure, you lose braking power.
ABS is always better in real world situations when it's unexpected, especially on the wet.

Can an expert rider brake better on a test track with non-ABS, heck yeah, but most riders encounter cars on the street. That's like comparing apples to elephants.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
Haven't tried ABS(actually needed it when riding a bike that had one) but I'd imagine not being able to skid the rear tire would be kind of lame.
it sux it really does. I love sliding the rear not soo much the front.(grabbed way too much front brake once in the wet when I saw a cop radaring. it skidded from now on i am just gong to get the ticket or run or something.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
Track_Graphics

Well - I promise, ABS really sucks in the snow.
Of course, I wasn't riding the bike, but I don't have any problem knowing the limit of my brakes and if road conditions would put that in question I'd ride even more cautiously.
It's only my little opinion, but if you are a rider and put your safety in the confidence of such things as ABS, traction control, collision avoidance and other gmmic paraphernalia to cover your lack of talent - sell your bike.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #13
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Of course, I wasn't riding the bike, but I don't have any problem knowing the limit of my brakes and if road conditions would put that in question I'd ride even more cautiously.
It's only my little opinion, but if you are a rider and put your safety in the confidence of such things as ABS, traction control, collision avoidance and other gmmic paraphernalia to cover your lack of talent - sell your bike.
There are plenty of riders that had more than enough skill before ABS was invented that now ride bikes that have it.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
Reaper81
Keyboard Racer

Bike(s):
Harley sportster 1200 (sold)
CBR 600rr (sold)

I have never rode a bike with abs so i cant give a real opinion on it. My sportster like almost all the harley motorcyles only had one disc in front and rear which was not near enough brakes for the bike. Honestly i when i started looking at bikes earlier this year abs was something i was interested in because i feel like you can never have enough braking power
Reaper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
I love this mindset, its almost like you actually believe you can turn off your human instincts to grab a handful of brake lever if hit the fan.

And to start the conversation off with a biased example of how your son would have had an accident if he had a bike with ABS shows theres no amount of words that could help you form a better opinion.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #16
Shuhboogie
IS AFK

No abs on my bike. Within two weeks of buying it I had a van do a u-turn in front of me while I was accelerating off an intersection. I locked up the rear and slid it sideways both directions. In the midst of the second slide I was able to change direction enough to whip around the back of it and keep going like nothing happened. I'm not sure abs would have rendered the same result. Without the ability to slide I'm quite sure I would have hit it.
Shuhboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #17
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

ABS can be a life saver on wet roads. No doubt about that. I wouldn't buy a bike without it these days though. ....as long as it can be turned off when I don't want it.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #18
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail View Post
ABS can be a life saver on wet roads. No doubt about that. I wouldn't buy a bike without it these days though. ....as long as it can be turned off when I don't want it.
Most can be disabled by pulling a fuse. All SS's should have a selector switch for track use similar to the power mode selectors. Or have a track feature that disables abs and provides the least amount of intrusion from TC as possible.

Seems like manufacturers are finding more electronics to put into these bikes than necessary. They are probably just trying to appeal to new riders and using these features as selling points vs other manufacturers.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
I love this mindset, its almost like you actually believe you can turn off your human instincts to grab a handful of brake lever if hit the fan.

And to start the conversation off with a biased example of how your son would have had an accident if he had a bike with ABS shows theres no amount of words that could help you form a better opinion.
Opinion are like . Everybody has two and they both stink.... I'm open to change. I now have two bikes with ABS and traction control, A,B, & C power settings. Also, they're turned off. Not because I refuse to use them, I just never turned them on. The opinion of that last statement was to say that if you "rely on these systems for your safety" because you don't have talent enough to handle a bike (and I don't mean it as a slur, just as a fact) then you really were just a target for a salesman.

"Dood, I'm scared of the power."
"Don't worry, our safety devices will cover you. Go ahead and buy it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuhboogie View Post
No abs on my bike. Within two weeks of buying it I had a van do a u-turn in front of me while I was accelerating off an intersection. I locked up the rear and slid it sideways both directions. In the midst of the second slide I was able to change direction enough to whip around the back of it and keep going like nothing happened. I'm not sure abs would have rendered the same result. Without the ability to slide I'm quite sure I would have hit it.
A few years ago I was riding with Colonel (if memory serves) and he just bought the new BMW with wheelie and traction control. A car ran the red and almost t-boned him. He nailed the trottle and the bike baaaaarrreeely accellerated. JUST missed getting his rear end tagged.
And of course, I wasn't driving his bike either so I really don't know how hard he hit the gas. What ever happened to him anyway?? Last I saw him was a few years ago at JCI on Westheimer.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #20
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
A few years ago I was riding with Colonel (if memory serves) and he just bought the new BMW with wheelie and traction control. A car ran the red and almost t-boned him. He nailed the trottle and the bike baaaaarrreeely accellerated. JUST missed getting his rear end tagged.
And of course, I wasn't driving his bike either so I really don't know how hard he hit the gas. What ever happened to him anyway?? Last I saw him was a few years ago at JCI on Westheimer.
I guess he would have been dead on a Grom

Advertisement