MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #21
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Smooth and predictable. That's all

My point was what you think should be L3 pace, and what's appropriate from a business prospective don't come close. Most of the guys that run at the front half of a novice race and almost all experts don't do that many trackdays. Vis a vis the laptimes you think should be the minimum to get into L3 would normally result in a trackday that had...........about 4 bikes in L3.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH from above! HawkinsYZF Taking it to the Track 9 09-16-2013 07:43 AM
MSRH Race Prep Course - Dec 11, 2010 @ MSRH Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 12-07-2010 12:24 PM
MSRH tiatool Video's and Photo's 21 09-21-2009 02:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #22
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
My point was what you think should be L3 pace, and what's appropriate from a business prospective don't come close. Most of the guys that run at the front half of a novice race and almost all experts don't do that many trackdays. Vis a vis the laptimes you think should be the minimum to get into L3 would normally result in a trackday that had...........about 4 bikes in L3.
Gotcha. That makes total sense.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #23
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Shouldn't there be an arguement that 1:50 guys probably shouldn't be on the track with a guy doing 3 minutes no matter how predictably slow one is?

But what do I know? I don't have the time or $ to race.

*kicks dirt*
Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #24
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Gotcha. That makes total sense.
If you want to run with the group of guys that doesn't do trackdays, if you think you have that pace, sign up for the novice racer group on one of LSTD's pre-CMRA friday trackdays. Just be prepared for some I'm-pretty-sure-that-dude-paved-new-track-on-the-inside-to-make-that-happen close passes.

Surprises me on occasion even after years of racing.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Liked this post:
Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #25
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Shouldn't there be an arguement that 1:50 guys probably shouldn't be on the track with a guy doing 3 minutes no matter how predictably slow one is?

But what do I know? I don't have the time or $ to race.

*kicks dirt*

As someone who is a back-of-the-pack novice racer who has done races where there's experts on the track, it's not an issue all that often. I actually ask the fast dudes if my pace is an issue, never heard anyone say it held them up in the slightest.

CMRA #302
Old 08-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #26
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
If you want to run with the group of guys that doesn't do trackdays, if you think you have that pace, sign up for the novice racer group on one of LSTD's pre-CMRA friday trackdays. Just be prepared for some I'm-pretty-sure-that-dude-paved-new-track-on-the-inside-to-make-that-happen close passes.

Surprises me on occasion even after years of racing.
I don't have that kind of pace. I am still very much a novice. I am very comfortable though, and would benefit from being allowed to inside pass as well as be passed on the inside.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #27
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
I don't have that kind of pace. I am still very much a novice. I am very comfortable though, and would benefit from being allowed to inside pass as well as be passed on the inside.
I was never a fan of Ride Smart' passing rules either. Always seemed like the progression was

Ride Smart L1
Ride Smart L2
????????
Ride Smart L3

CMRA #302
Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #28
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I was never a fan of Ride Smart' passing rules either. Always seemed like the progression was

Ride Smart L1
Ride Smart L2
????????
Ride Smart L3
I'm probably in "????????" because of total inexperience with inside passing but L3 in terms of pace. So yeah, I agree
Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #29
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

I have never done a L3 trackday ever.. and I race (slowly.. probably slowest out there) but I am comfortable being passed closely. What they say is true is a different feel. In my second race ever Kris Lillegard passed me on the inside and we traded paint and technically we were on the same team he was just riding the other team bike...

That being said I only ride ULW bikes these days so I will never see L3

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #30
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

I like ulw in level three. I can ride faster than most in the turns but on the straight there is no chance of me keeping pace.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #31
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
I like ulw in level three. I can ride faster than most in the turns but on the straight there is no chance of me keeping pace.
Says the guy that ran low 1:50s on a 300

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #32
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Interesting. Quan knows which bike i run and it just seems L2 is all over the place. I do not have a lap timer but looking at videos before putting the better tires, I ran 2:00 clockwise and recently the other direction, 2;20 at TWS (Texas World Speedway), and just under 3:00 at COTA. I feel more comfortable in close situations and recently rode with Kris at a private session. He helped on body position and I moved controls to stop dragging hard parts but was curious. Might try 2A if they will let me move up at COTA next week and see how I feel. I run well in tighter stuff but loose out to the bigger bikes on the straights. Thanks guys for the input. I will get Dean, Doug or PaPa to follow me next week.
side204 zpskyxjegzg
rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #33
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz500guy View Post
Interesting. Quan knows which bike i run and it just seems L2 is all over the place. I do not have a lap timer but looking at videos before putting the better tires, I ran 2:00 clockwise and recently the other direction, 2;20 at TWS (Texas World Speedway), and just under 3:00 at COTA. I feel more comfortable in close situations and recently rode with Kris at a private session. He helped on body position and I moved controls to stop dragging hard parts but was curious. Might try 2A if they will let me move up at COTA next week and see how I feel. I run well in tighter stuff but loose out to the bigger bikes on the straights. Thanks guys for the input. I will get Dean, Doug or PaPa to follow me next week.
side204 zpskyxjegzg
Lol I figured it was you just wasn't sure. Why don't you do an ARC class at one of our local tx tracks? Cota is such a big track and so many long straights
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #34
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Might do that. I will get instructors to follow me.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #35
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Off this subject you might suggest to help get everyone out faster after class room that the stickers be passed out during class instead of after. Everyone is just standing in each others way trying to get out. Thanks to all you guys for help and patience with us as we try to become safer riders.

Advertisement