Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Sugar Land's Steven Lopez to compete in fifth Olympics in Taekwondo

This Friday is when one of the most well-known local Olympians, Steven Lopez, will compete in Taekwondo.

Steven, and the Lopez family from Sugar Land, have been dominant in the sport of Taekwondo for more than a decade.

Each kick, each step, brings Lopez closer to his shot at another Olympic medal. The 37-year-old, who already has three Olympic medals, is sparring and working out each day for his competition Friday in Rio.

"A lifetime worth of work and it comes down to a few days, or it comes down to a day for me. And I'm just really excited. My body is feeling good," Lopez said.

KPRC 2 caught up with Lopez, his coach and his big brother Jean at one of the U.S. Olympic training centers in Rio. Also on his team is younger brother Mark, who himself has a silver Olympic medal. He's Steven Lopez's sparring partner.

"I can tell you by holding paddles for him, holding equipment and targets for him, I can feel his strength definitely. He's looking great. He's looking at the top of his game.," Mark Lopez said.

Believed to be the oldest competitor in taekwondo at these Olympic games, keeping Steven Lopez's body in shape with acupuncture, ice baths, and massage techniques have been key to his training. But Team Lopez plans to use experience as well as skill and strength to earn another medal on Friday.

"He's definitely the oldest guy. But physically I think I've known Steven and we've trained together for 25 years. I think he's at his peak physically now," Team USA Taekwondo Assistant Coach George Weissfisch said.

"The fans back home in Sugar Land and Houston, Texas, you guys have been there for me and my family since 2000. And I just ask for you guys to send me your positive vibes, your prayers, and great energy and I promise I'll go out there and do the very best to represent you guys," Steven Lopez said.

Lopez20family20pic 1 1471474468263 7741552 ver10 1280 720

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote