Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Simone Manuel receives hero's welcome in Houston

Fanfare greeted Sugar Land native and gold-medal swimmer Simone Manuel when she arrived home in Houston on Wednesday morning.

Last week, Manuel became the first African-American woman to win an Olympic gold medal in an individual swimming event. She also won gold in a medley relay, silver in the 50-meter freestyle and silver in another medley relay.

Stepping out of baggage claim at George Bush Intercontinental Airport about 6:15 a.m., Manuel was welcomed by not only her family, but also a marching band, dancers, city leaders and adoring fans. Many were waving American flags and cheering.

Manuel smiled and thanked all the people who turned out to greet her.

"I'm completely humbled by the fact that (you all) think I'm an inspiration," Manuel said. "I'm just happy to be back in Texas."

Manuel said she hasn't yet soaked in all of her Olympic journey, but there's definitely something she wants to do right away.

"I would like to go to Shipley's," Manuel said, referring to the popular Houston-based chain of doughnut shops.

Manuel later tweeted a picture of her munching on a doughnut.

Happy! Happy! ??</p>-- Simone Manuel (@simone_manuel) August 17, 2016

Manuel, who said her medals were in her backpack, said her immediate plans include resting and preparing for her return to school at Stanford University.

simone manuel welcome 1471439939747 7738475 ver10 1280 720

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote