MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
hoonedhonda

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
mz baghira
Honda magna
Honda cr250r

Question The tmax challenge

So tmax and I have a friendly wager he thinks I can't do a 1300 mile road trip I think I can so I will be leaving Friday night to avoid traffic if I leave around 10 pm the GPS says it will take 20 hours so I should win any one have any comments or tips to win
hoonedhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For TMax darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 09-03-2013 12:01 PM
For TMAX Rael General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 10-19-2011 08:29 AM
TMAX WAS HERE! r6gal Events, Meets and Rides 35 04-14-2011 06:46 AM
ban TMAX? The Trav Off Topic 32 04-14-2011 06:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
trunxgp1224

You wont make it in 20hrs.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #3
hoonedhonda

Bike(s):
mz baghira
Honda magna
Honda cr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
You wont make it in 20hrs.
Do you think it can be done im taking extra gas for less fuel stops
Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
trunxgp1224

The distance can be done. But you're going to lose at least 15min per fuel stop. When I went to Cali I was getting 160-190 per tank divided by 1374 miles. So that was nearly 2 hours just stopping for fuel which puts you at 22hrs. The easiest way to make up time is by speed. Going 10 over, only saves you 3 minutes on your daily commute which is why it's stupid; however, over 1300 miles that's a 2.5 hour difference.

So if you want to make it under 20 hours your only shot is to go 10mph over, stop no more then 8 times for fuel, and don't forget about sleep, bathroom, and food.

I'm not sure where you're going but dehydration is an issue this time of year, you may not notice sweating but I assure you, you are. The 70mph wind is simply evaporating it faster then you think your sweating. So factor in time to drink water and . The heat WILL drain you and you'll get hungry, so when/ where are you going to eat? Even with music you'll be extremely bored out of your mind on most highways. On top of heat exhaustion, you'll have lack of sleep and your attention will suffer. This means the fine line between boredom and in attention may blur.

This is where your little bet takes a serious turn. If you haven't done extended motorcycle trips like this before and haven't planned accordingly you're putting yourself in danger. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I've done this multiple times on bikes and trucks. Driving straight through on a bike is a whole other animal than a vehicle.
Liked this post:
Old 07-27-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
hoonedhonda

Bike(s):
mz baghira
Honda magna
Honda cr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
The distance can be done. But you're going to lose at least 15min per fuel stop. When I went to Cali I was getting 160-190 per tank divided by 1374 miles. So that was nearly 2 hours just stopping for fuel which puts you at 22hrs. The easiest way to make up time is by speed. Going 10 over, only saves you 3 minutes on your daily commute which is why it's stupid; however, over 1300 miles that's a 2.5 hour difference.

So if you want to make it under 20 hours your only shot is to go 10mph over, stop no more then 8 times for fuel, and don't forget about sleep, bathroom, and food.

I'm not sure where you're going but dehydration is an issue this time of year, you may not notice sweating but I assure you, you are. The 70mph wind is simply evaporating it faster then you think your sweating. So factor in time to drink water and . The heat WILL drain you and you'll get hungry, so when/ where are you going to eat? Even with music you'll be extremely bored out of your mind on most highways. On top of heat exhaustion, you'll have lack of sleep and your attention will suffer. This means the fine line between boredom and in attention may blur.

This is where your little bet takes a serious turn. If you haven't done extended motorcycle trips like this before and haven't planned accordingly you're putting yourself in danger. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I've done this multiple times on bikes and trucks. Driving straight through on a bike is a whole other animal than a vehicle.
I'm going to west Virginia so it will be cooler as I head north for the water im using a 3 litre camel bak with extra bottles to refill it for food I will have meal replacement supplements I plan on sleeping that day so I wil be awake for the night and have been doing 2 to 300 mile rides for practice I know it's not as far but riding all day in the texas heat should help for a warm up my limiting fctor seems to be my fuel t tank/consumption I have a 2.5 gallon tank and get round 60 miles per tank and would need 20 stops so thats what the spare tank is or to save on stop times so I could go 180 miles before needing gas with out using my reserve at all
Old 07-27-2016, 12:50 AM   #6
flypunk
it doesn't matter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

I did 872.6 miles in 13.5 hours, in September. Trip included only lunch stop (30-40 mins). My gas stops were quick and just for fuel. If you do the math based on a similar trip, you would be looking to make about 1292 miles in 20 hours however I have a 145 mile range on my tank, that alone will more than double your gas stops.

On open roads (not crossing towns) I was doing about 90, so not really slow but the stops and crossing towns with lights/stops and reduced speed limits will slow you down.

After hitting a storm for 2 hours of rain with no rain gear, I was dead tired when I got home.

Its not impossible but it will be rough, might be easier if you can ride standing up on that dual than it was on my cruiser with a comfortable corbin seat. Start overhidrated or you wont be able to catch up once you start needing it.

This last weekend there were 4 of us who rode a bit over 200 miles on sat and then again on Sunday morning (some of us are 42 some 34), and we were exhausted when we got back, the heat was a killer once it hit noon.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #7
hoonedhonda

Bike(s):
mz baghira
Honda magna
Honda cr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypunk View Post
I did 872.6 miles in 13.5 hours, in September. Trip included only lunch stop (30-40 mins). My gas stops were quick and just for fuel. If you do the math based on a similar trip, you would be looking to make about 1292 miles in 20 hours however I have a 145 mile range on my tank, that alone will more than double your gas stops.

On open roads (not crossing towns) I was doing about 90, so not really slow but the stops and crossing towns with lights/stops and reduced speed limits will slow you down.

After hitting a storm for 2 hours of rain with no rain gear, I was dead tired when I got home.

Its not impossible but it will be rough, might be easier if you can ride standing up on that dual than it was on my cruiser with a comfortable corbin seat. Start overhidrated or you wont be able to catch up once you start needing it.

This last weekend there were 4 of us who rode a bit over 200 miles on sat and then again on Sunday morning (some of us are 42 some 34), and we were exhausted when we got back, the heat was a killer once it hit noon.
I will be taking all highway to avoid towns and im comfortable standing as I ride to stretch I always have my rain gear and am 22 so I feel I have the endurance to go and the heat wont really be a problem working outside all day im pretty used to it my main concern is gas and the distances between stations along the highway
Old 07-27-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Bring me back a six pack of coors from texarkana!

Eastbound and Down.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:20 AM   #9
Morgstang

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Biggest question is your bike in shape to make it?....did you get your fueling issue fixed?....good luck...

I say you should stick to riding with us...lol
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 AM   #10
JAXPOTD
X 610 mat rempit

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
z1000

long riding

carry a large tube(s) of Prep H and a box of prep H wipes ... carry a few pieces of discardable underwear ... avoid fast food or candy .... eat fruit and /or vegetables ... peanut butter ... no energy drinks .... GOOD LUCK !
Old 07-27-2016, 05:03 AM   #11
flypunk
it doesn't matter

Trackdays: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonedhonda View Post
my main concern is gas and the distances between stations along the highway
Map the gas stations with distances and have a backup that you can get to.

I had the gas stations mapped at about 120 miles (don't like the bike sucking fumes).

What I didn't count on was the one gas station in the tiny town that was under renovation. I coasted my VTX deadstick into the gas station on the next town, I got lucky, pushing 900 pounds would've sucked.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:44 AM   #12
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
If you keep it over 100mph the whole way, you can do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #13
hoonedhonda

Bike(s):
mz baghira
Honda magna
Honda cr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgstang View Post
Biggest question is your bike in shape to make it?....did you get your fueling issue fixed?....good luck...

I say you should stick to riding with us...lol
Yes it is nailed this time I let someone with more experience rebuild the carbs I did it wrong
Old 07-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #14
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

The wager must be pretty good to make it worth all this trouble. I'd like to get in on this.
I'm betting TMAX wins.

My prediction is, you will either do the smart thing and give up when you become so fatigued you can't see straight OR you will push yourself to the point of exhaustion and be forced to stop.

I drove from just north of Denver back to Pearland stopping only for gas. I was so exhausted that even as I was doing it, I knew I was being stupid. I was a danger to myself and other drivers.
It took 23 hours. I was going well over the speed limit but not 100mph.

That was in a truck with the A/C blowing and a nice, quiet, comfy cabin. On a bike, I don't think so.
Maybe if you were on a Goldwing...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 07-27-2016 at 06:52 AM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #15
SilverBullet

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Do you have a time limit?
Higher speed saves time but increases fuel consumption and stops. Do some test runs. I get 45mpg at 75mph but only 35mpg at 85-90mph. Carrying fuel increases your range but wont save time. Plan your route with fuel stops using only your main tank range.

1,300 miles straight through you will be riding at night. Does your bike's lighting support the speed you plan to travel?

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #16
hoonedhonda

Bike(s):
mz baghira
Honda magna
Honda cr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Do you have a time limit?
Higher speed saves time but increases fuel consumption and stops. Do some test runs. I get 45mpg at 75mph but only 35mpg at 85-90mph. Carrying fuel increases your range but wont save time. Plan your route with fuel stops using only your main tank range.

1,300 miles straight through you will be riding at night. Does your bike's lighting support the speed you plan to travel?

_
Yes the time limit is 24 hours and out I get 60 miles a tank and I believe my led headlights will do fine at 85-90
Old 07-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
SilverBullet

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
The wager must be pretty good to make it worth all this trouble. I'd like to get in on this.
I'm betting TMAX wins...

Quote:
Yes the time limit is 24 hours and out I get 60 miles a tank and I believe my led headlights will do fine at 85-90
Wow only a 60 mile fuel range. Money in the bank for TMAX. If you're allowed switch to another bike. Maybe he'll let you borrow his C14 then you'll have at least a fighting chance.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #18
Shuhboogie
IS AFK

Quote:
So tmax and I have a friendly wager he thinks I can't do a 1300 mile road trip I think I can so I will be leaving Friday night to avoid traffic if I leave around 10 pm the GPS says it will take 20 hours so I should win any one have any comments or tips to win
If anyone could do this it would be you. Just don't put yourself in a situation that will get you dead.
Leaving at night means your fuel stops are more limited. Make sure you map out truck stops as well if you haven't already.
Everyone is saying you will need to run above posted speeds. But you are leaving at night. That's when the creepy crawlies come out.
You know here in Texas you need to watch for deer, hogs, and the occasional drunken armadillo. Even if you survive hitting the armadillo you still have to worry about your tires vs. his beer bottle.
Be safe and we will see you when ya get back.
Shuhboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #19
trunxgp1224

First part of the year I was driving 10k a month across the country, I have 100gal tank so I when 'I' need to. I've done multiple N. Arizona to Texas without stopping and its killer.

When I did my first straight through ride to Cali it was November with highs in the 70s I was 19 and running marathons, the heat still snuck up on me. The fatigue from road and wind noise eventually beats you down. The first 4hrs was an awesome adventure, after that it slowly degraded into exhausting torture. It can be done, all I'm saying is prepare to stop and nap because dying isn't worth a bet or riding fatigued.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Save yourself the hassle and just pay him bro

Advertisement