MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #181
2slo

Feedback Rating: (0)

How does someone just "fall off"? I was riding in a straight line, had a seizure and just "fell off" According the the riders behind me it looked like I had fallen asleep and tipped over (the bike continued on it's path!!).

As to the 600cc bike debate. I started on a 600F4i and didn't have too many problems mainly because I took private riding lessons and never took the bike over 40 mph until I had about 200 seat hours. However, when I switched to a more track appropriate SV650 (which many people think is a good first bike) i had all kinds of problems with throttle control. Riding a motorcycle is a learned skill but if you have no natural talent (like me) no matter how many track days and how much seat time you have you will always have difficulty.
Just my .02. Deb
2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will I be disappointed by a 600cc bike? schulz General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 07-05-2013 11:45 AM
1st bike need help KDEE General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-28-2011 02:40 PM
Need a good book on sport bike/600cc engines DaConfusion General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-12-2009 10:21 PM
Best 07 600CC bike RojerLockless General Discussion (Moto Related) 86 07-04-2007 02:36 PM
want a 600cc sportbike for your first bike? RACER X Safety Corner Main 4 04-30-2005 08:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #182
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
How do you just fall off a bike?

My insurance adjuster is a cool guy and I like it whenever he comes by. He had someone stating they got on the bike, rode down the street and fell off the bike. It was beyond his comprehension. We couldn't help him either.

Anyone know how one can just fall of a bike?

...my old man used to talk about a bike nicknamed the 'water buffalo'.. If i understand it was an old 750 two stroke? The gist was, if you weren't holding on and hit the power... you'd be sitting there, falling to the ground watching the bike sprint off into the distance. :0)
Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #183
level5
moving chicane

Man, this thread turns ugly.

This was supposed to be why not a 600SS as a first bike and everyone took this personally.:eh:
1. Will someone list an advantage and disadvantage of owning a 600SS as a first bike?
2. For the one that started out on a 1000 or 750 at least tell us why you started out that size?
3. what motor size would you reccommend a first time buyer?
This will end all that finger pointing here and there and personal involvement.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #184
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
..The gist was, if you weren't holding on and hit the power... you'd be sitting there, falling to the ground watching the bike sprint off into the distance. :0)
:laughing6
Old 08-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #185
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5571
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #186
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
...my old man used to talk about a bike nicknamed the 'water buffalo'.. If i understand it was an old 750 two stroke? The gist was, if you weren't holding on and hit the power... you'd be sitting there, falling to the ground watching the bike sprint off into the distance. :0)
http://www.motocarrera.com/gallery1.htm
Is this the buffalo? Look at the hill climb dirtbike! That thing looks bad .
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #187
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10 View Post
:laughing6:laughing6

so, you rode trials or trails?

This would be trials....

http://www.gasgas.com/photos_co_07.htm

They have come a long way since I had a Montesa 360... :confused2
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #188
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dubya View Post
It didn't answer any question that I have posted.

Everyone was jumping the gun and I am curious as to their comments.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #189
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Offhand I don't know the bike, but I'd hazard that any 600cc+ race bike is too much. Any 600 with a peaky or sensitive throttle could be an issue... I've got an FZ6... all in all not a bad bike, but I'd say the rough clutch in the lower gears and the throttle aren't something I'd want someone completely fresh trying to deal with.

Simply because the bikes for the most part, are NOT forgiving... and with the 600s+ anything can go real wrong too fast.

As people want to demonstrate themselves as, or show...there are exceptions... and of course 'everyone' wants to be 'special'. The reality is we can only accurately speak in regards to the mass majority. 'Exceptions' are just that... all the data, information we have deonstrates the reality of what some of us say. Sure, some may 'feel' Racer is too negative...but mayb it's his negativity that makes a better point...or sticks in the mind better for the new guy, than someone coming along 'I started on a 1k..'. Because when it comes down to the wire...odds are the fresh squid somewhere in the back of their skull is likely thinking their that next 'exception' to the rule. Then they go out, get in over their head...and we get another notice about fresh calamari.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #190
t.dubya
Senor Member

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
It didn't answer any question that I have posted.

Everyone was jumping the gun and I am curious as to their comments.
just around....

Personally I dont care what kind of bike a newb gets.

IMHO all bikes are dangerous, expensive, and in general just kinda asking for trouble. However they are lots o fun so screw it.

Do what u want, just don't take anyone else out.
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #191
Skid

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

For me, this statement sums it up the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNBULLET View Post
…YOU CAN EITHER RIDE OR YOU CANT! it doesn't matter what bike you get you either have respect for the throttle or you dont! I dont care what bike you have the moment you dont respect it you lose it!

I am not going to say starting on a SS600 is the best way to go either. I started on a 2000 VFR800 and I did end up dropping it. I was headed down a gravel road that was so bad that I probably wouldn’t travel down it again on anything less than a dual sport. I just couldn’t find my way out and the road kept getting worse and worse. I really didn’t have another way to go. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that it was 8 months and 12,000 miles after buying it.

Even though Faylaricia is my girlfriend, I don’t think it is fair comparing horses to motorcycles. Sorry Sweetheart! Although I see the logic behind it, there is one major difference. Horses have mind of their own and bikes don’t. The little I have seen and dealt with horses I notice like most animals they can follow instruction well, but have the ability to disobey at any moment and with their physical size, it could become very dangerous. Bikes on the other hand will only do what you tell them to whether it is right or wrong. This puts the sole responsibility in the rider hands.

My issue with saying that everyone needs to start on a 250 primarily lies with the fact that most of them are antiques (25+ year old design) and mediocre quality at best. To me they compare to learning to drive tri-five shoebox. They look ok in styling but are very dated, the headlights suck, the suspension is way too soft and the brakes are down right scary by today’s standards. Now, I’m not stating that everyone needs to learn to drive in a vette (although they can and few do), but there needs to be some middle ground between performance and safety. FWIW, I learned to drive in a ’29 Model A. If I learned anything from that it is don’t assume you know the performance (or lack there of) of any vehicle when you first get in it. It could be a deadly assumption.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #192
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

:-) another train (of thought)...

Anyone know the 0-60 time and 1/4 mile time & speed of the following?
(All stock)

250 ninja
ex 500
600 Cc standard
600 race
1k race
Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #193
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:

This was supposed to be why not a 600SS as a first bike and everyone took this personally.:eh:
1. Will someone list an advantage and disadvantage of owning a 600SS as a first bike?
As a first bike the only advantage would be you wouldn't have to step up later. And you would look cool.
Disadvantages have been listed ad-naseum.. responses (steering, braking, acceleration) are too hair trigger for the average newbie. The new 600/1000 bikes are race bikes with lights. Same reason you don't take drivers ed in an Indy car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
2. For the one that started out on a 1000 or 750 at least tell us why you started out that size?
Have nothing for this since I don't know anyone living that did so. Know a couple that tried and failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
3. what motor size would you recommend a first time buyer?
250-500 cc, or an older 600, depending on the riders size and riding history (dirt bike, bicycle)
Old 08-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #194
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
This would be trials....

http://www.gasgas.com/photos_co_07.htm

They have come a long way since I had a Montesa 360... :confused2
I'm sorry, I forgot to post back. Yeah I know trials quite well. Been a fan for many years now and think it's absolutely awesome. I've wanted a gasgas since about '98. They just look like so much fun!
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #195
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
I'm sorry, I forgot to post back. Yeah I know trials quite well. Been a fan for many years now and think it's absolutely awesome. I've wanted a gasgas since about '98. They just look like so much fun!
Riding a trials bike well will teach you everything you will ever need to know about balance, throttle and bike control.

Not to mention amaze people with the places you can get with it.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #196
level5
moving chicane

3 seconds?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #197
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:

3. what motor size would you reccommend a first time buyer?
1. If rider has no previous riding experience (dirt or other) then no advantage is present. Disadvantage....injury/death.
2. I started on a 900 (zx-9r) It was my step dad's bike and he thought I could handle it. My first 2 stroke dirtbike was an RM465 so I learned throttle control quickly! And I took it quite easy for a while on the street.
3. If this is their first bike EVER...(no dirtbikes before or anything) I say 250 - 500cc
Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #198
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Riding a trials bike well will teach you everything you will ever need to know about balance, throttle and bike control.

Not to mention amaze people with the places you can get with it.
That is no lie!!!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #199
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
My first 2 stroke dirtbike was an RM465 so I learned throttle control quickly!

I still have a nice scar from the rear tire on a YZ495.. that one hurt
Old 08-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #200
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

The first sport bike I ever road was a Ninja 250, I 17 years old, drunk in Panama City with my friend's mom's brand new Maxima up for collateral (becuase we rented them). We drove those things like a bunch of idiots. Zooming past each other, in between, no look lane changes, whatever...We all made it out alive that day.

I will say this...after riding a 600 for some time now, if we had been on 600s that day I can almost guarantee one of us would have died.:confused1

We were young and dumb...I quess what I am trying to say is that mental awareness and maturity play a large role in what size bike someone can handle. And like Brooklyn said...respect the throttle and learn your bike, even if it takes years. It's worth it because in one milisecond you can be splattered on the road or a tree or another obstacle...

anyone can get on any size bike and haul but what are you gonna do when you come into that turn way too hot and have no idea how to pull it out?

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement