MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Need opinions

Being a vet, I have the GI Bill as well as the Hazelwood Act. I've decided to go to school full time come Spring, but haven't decided what for yet. I was thinking about business management (how cliche), because I'd like to open my own martial arts academy in the future and there are a lot of things I don't feel confident in yet to do so.

However, I've been considering utilizing some time to get some motorcycle mechanic education under my belt so I can do all the basic upkeep of my bike as well as have a project bike (perhaps a bobber or something).

Combined, the GI Bill and Hazelwood is enough to do both. I just don't know if I should look into something like UTI or go elsewhere. Obviously, I'm learning as much as I can now with what resources are available to me. Aside from that, what are some of everyone's recommendations/experiences?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
opinions? twk 1000 Car Forum 14 10-12-2012 02:22 PM
Opinions BlackWidow Stunters Lounge 11 05-02-2009 11:45 PM
Opinions quicksaveme Cruisers Lounge 11 11-07-2007 08:58 AM
Need Opinions Somebody1010 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 03-06-2007 11:41 PM
Need opinions dbonezny General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 11-22-2006 07:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
JAXPOTD
X 610 mat rempit

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
z1000

Post education

MAXIMIZE your computer skills with your educational credits ... computer savvy is a universal plus in the job market ... don't niche yourself early and you won't regret it later
Old 07-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXPOTD View Post
MAXIMIZE your computer skills with your educational credits ... computer savvy is a universal plus in the job market ... don't niche yourself early and you won't regret it later
I did IT for the Army and got decent amount of certifications. This wouldn't be for a career. I've heard the job market is bleak at best for new motorcycle mechanics. It would just be for the sake of learning for personal use. I had just heard mixed reviews of the quality of education at UTI.
SCL_Official is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXPOTD View Post
Gorgeous dog, btw.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
trunxgp1224

Don't waste the bill on UTI if you'll never go past hobby. if you want hobby knowledge buy a trashed $500 bike and get the manuals to tear down and build up if you screw up you're out $500 and not $40K of your GI Bill.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
Don't waste the bill on UTI if you'll never go past hobby. if you want hobby knowledge buy a trashed $500 bike and get the manuals to tear down and build up if you screw up you're out $500 and not $40K of your GI Bill.
Fair enough. Can you recommend any basic maintenance courses around Houston?
Old 07-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Business management and Accounting. With an accounting degree, you can always get a job and you'll also be able to do your own books.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

School is overrated if you only plan on a mediocre trade.
Martial Arts or Mechanic.
Business management is really just "math" ...you must make more than you spend.

If you plan for higher education consider something like LAW.

A Martial Arts school is simple to open and inexpensive too.
You really don't need anything but a space to start. A Reputation wouldn't hurt though.

But as a motorcycle mechanic the opening cost would be more expensive, special tools and generally a pretty high overhead.

Neither would need a degree of any sort.

To be a small business owner is the ultimate. I wish you luck.

?Why martial arts?
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

go to school full time and find a shop to push brooms at. buy a cheap bike and do your own maintenance like whats already been mentioned. I am sure if you developed a good relationship with your shop they would let you borrow specialized tools that you might not own yet.

dont waste your benefits on something like mmi/uti. your goals may change later on
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
School is overrated if you only plan on a mediocre trade.
Martial Arts or Mechanic.
Business management is really just "math" ...you must make more than you spend.

If you plan for higher education consider something like LAW

A Martial Arts school is simple to open and inexpensive too.
You really don't need anything but a space to start. A Reputation wouldn't hurt though.

But as a motorcycle mechanic the opening cost would be more expensive, special tools and generally a pretty high overhead.

Neither would need a degree of any sort.

To be a small business owner is the ultimate. I wish you luck.

?Why martial arts?
All good points. Thanks! And martial arts/self protection has always been a huge part of my life. Teaching others has always been where I'm most comfortable. I'm passionate about self reliance, preparation, fitness, discipline, and camaraderie.
Liked this post:
Old 07-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
go to school full time and find a shop to push brooms at. buy a cheap bike and do your own maintenance like whats already been mentioned. I am sure if you developed a good relationship with your shop they would let you borrow specialized tools that you might not own yet.

dont waste your benefits on something like mmi/uti. your goals may change later on
I actually hinted at apprenticing for my mechanic and he didn't say yes, but he didn't say no. Lol
Old 07-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #12
MCCycles
MCCycles Turbocharged

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Turbo R1

Any time a UTI student comes in asking for work we just file away an application, because typically UTI just sends UnTrained Idiots. 😁

Your best bet is to do like suggested above, be a porter somewhere. I think Shane Stubbs is looking for a porter at Ks, and honestly, I can't think of anyone better to learn from.
MCCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
trunxgp1224

To add to that, The dealer I worked at back home had a porter, real nice guy. Cleaned bikes, swept the floors and uncrated the new bikes. After a few years I walked in the back to check on my GSXR recall and saw him doing it and asked when they started letting him wrench, found out he was actually a UTI/MMU grad this whole time.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
To add to that, The dealer I worked at back home had a porter, real nice guy. Cleaned bikes, swept the floors and uncrated the new bikes. After a few years I walked in the back to check on my GSXR recall and saw him doing it and asked when they started letting him wrench, found out he was actually a UTI/MMU grad this whole time.
Geez. Yeah, this is pretty much the consensus I've read about UTI grads. Just wanted opinions from everyone here. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

if you want to go to school, especially a university ask yourself "what would I do with that degree"

Look at the job markets for a job you think you may enjoy. Do find jobs? If not, and you seek eventual employment maybe keep looking.

Far to many people get degrees in that either almost no employers give a F about, or get a degree in something they don't really care about.

Ie,don't bother with an accounting degree if you don't like numbers and like that and don't waste you time with a degree in under water basket weaving if you think you want to make any money

finally, be prepared to be flexible

My suggestion is to first decide are you seeking a BA or BS. A bachelors of science requires more math & science usually. Then look at a college or university you think you would want to get that degree from. Find the degree plan. Now, take the core classes that are available at HCC and go there for the core. It will save you a ton of money and your C- in calculus won't transfer to your university GPA.

Finish at the university.

If you can't decide, choose Geology it has a little bit of everything and field trips.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Once again, I appreciate the advice. I was more or less wondering about the quality of education at UTI for personal use, not career wise. But I really do appreciate all the advice from everyone. Career wise, I'm definitely wanting to open up my own martial arts school. I just figured that, since I have enough to get a business related degree and have some left over, I would look into stuff to help grow me personally. that was pretty much it. I think I'm definitely going to look into being a porter once I get back in school come spring. That seems like the best route to take so far.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #17
albertinhouston

Feedback Rating: (2)

Martial Arts school isn't as easy as it sounds. When you finally decide to open the school think about something like this.
Offer a life time membership to 12 people at the cost of your overhead-mainly rent.
This will tie you over for the first year(which is the hardest). This will typically be about the same price as 1 years tuition. This will give you a year to get the enrollment up to sustain the business.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #18
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Those Martial arts schools seem like a cash cow with most of the cost being the service aspect of it.

awesome hours
hot single moms
paid monthly via direct debit
over charge on uniforms
get students to teach kiddos
stays winning

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #19
SCL_Official
@spacecityliving

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R
2017 HD Street 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertinhouston View Post
Martial Arts school isn't as easy as it sounds. When you finally decide to open the school think about something like this.
Offer a life time membership to 12 people at the cost of your overhead-mainly rent.
This will tie you over for the first year(which is the hardest). This will typically be about the same price as 1 years tuition. This will give you a year to get the enrollment up to sustain the business.
That's actually not a bad idea.

I've been helping teach a couple nights a week at Team Tooke out in Cypress. They were actually talking about having me do an apprenticeship/Instructor certification through them. I'm really fond of how they run the academy, and they have been pretty successful, so I'm thinking about doing it.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #20
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by green600 View Post
Those Martial arts schools seem like a cash cow with most of the cost being the service aspect of it.

awesome hours
hot single moms
paid monthly via direct debit
over charge on uniforms
get students to teach kiddos
stays winning
And every time a kid moves up a belt, more $$ in your pocket
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement