MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
TxVrod

Feedback Rating: (0)

Close calls? Post them up!

I'm talking about the ones when you made it without laying it down or crashing otherwise.

I've only had a couple of close ones - all my fault, too, from following to close to the rear of a cager. I locked but was able to stay up. All were check-the-drawers scary, too.
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
close calls.... PinkBtch General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-29-2012 12:04 PM
Close calls on your bike??? RSIXER02 Off Topic 20 12-02-2011 10:50 PM
close calls? Motogp05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 08-21-2006 08:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
nels

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

Re: Close calls? Post them up!

not too long after I started riding, happened on Bissonnet right after the Beltway. Traffic was flowing, I was in the left lane, the one that merges. The car in front of me broke hard cuz the car in the median had a little bit of his rear in the lane. I proceeded to brake, ended up locking the rear, wobbled a lil, then to avoid hitting the car, I had to squeeze in between that car and the turning car. Heart was beating fast rest of the way home. My fault for assuming the car in front of me was just gonna nudge over to get past that turning car.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Iv'e done a couple of em, ones that make your heart beat like mad afterwards.

one was when I was on the HOV coming from downtown heading south, heading into the s curves at the intersection of 610 and I went into the turns to fast, the bike was leaning so hard and the tires were skipping across the road treads towards the concrete wall. I did the serious lean and held on and made the turn. whew.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
st3ph3n

So far, only one comes to mind.* I was riding through an intersection and a BigMexicanWoman in a purple Blazer decides for what reason I don't know to slam on her brakes.* I then had to hit my brakes quickly so I wouldn't ram her from behind.* It was a little wet from previous rain so I almost ate but managed to keep it up.* I then pulled up beside her window because it was open and put my middle finger right in her face and yelled at her "What the are you doing?".* I then went on my way.
st3ph3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
AdamC

I bought a used bike and right after buying went for a ride, accelerated fast, then slowed down to Uturn.
Well the mechanics at the shop had stripped the oil drain plug and when I accelerated earlier it the oil came pouring out while riding covering the back tire.

Needless to say , it was not a fun Uturn. The back came around and stayed that way through the turn.

I had to pull over and smoke while waiting for a truck to come and get me.
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

Send a message via AIM to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via MSN to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via Yahoo to UrMyStlkAl

that sounds scary, hopefully I don't go down hard when I start riding
UrMyStlkAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
SE_Ryder122

Bike(s):
2001 R6 Champions Edition (Sold)

i was riding down the feeter of 45s and was following a semi. i accelerated to pass up two cars in the left lane and then proceed to change lanes, but when i did the car in front took off too. this lead to the gap for me to change lanes to close, so i had to get on the brakes hard to keep from crashing into the back of a the semi. locked up the back brakes and was sliding faster than the semi was moving. probably came within 5 feet of the truck before it started to pull away and was able to keep the bike up.
SE_Ryder122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3ph3n
So far, only one comes to mind. I was riding through an intersection and a BigMexicanWoman in a purple Blazer decides for what reason I don't know to slam on her brakes. I then had to hit my brakes quickly so I wouldn't ram her from behind. It was a little wet from previous rain so I almost ate but managed to keep it up. I then pulled up beside her window because it was open and put my middle finger right in her face and yelled at her "What the are you doing?". I then went on my way.
r u sure thats what u told here??? or " u made me wet my pants "
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
st3ph3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHITO
r u sure thats what u told here???* or* " u made me wet my pants* "
Great, another troll. :eyesoff:
Old 07-13-2005, 03:23 AM   #10
cytukyl

Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)

Member Garage

my fault completely but i was heading down 59 after the 45s exit where 59 turns into 2 lanes instead of 3, i was riding to work and i hate to be right next to cars when i am on the freeway, usually i try to stay behind them or in front of them anyhow, i had to switch lanes due to someone breaking hard in front of me and needles to say i wasnt watching my right side when i switched lanes i noticed a truck wanting to switch into my lane but it was to late, he didnt hit me but i was going about 80 and the truck came withing about less than 1 ft of hitting me but other than that all ive had is a couple of tank slappers at low speeds by hitting the front break to hard :biggthumpup:
EITHER.

cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:10 AM   #11
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i was ridin the F2 one morning to work on a back road following a truck. he was going too slow for me so i decide to pass him, well once i get somewhat beside him he decides to turn left, i paniced and rode into the ditch,, got a slight head shake but was able to pull it together and ride it out of the ditch back onto the pavement and i was outa there,
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #12
PB125

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

I usually work from 6am to 2pm when I'm not on light duty and work out in the morning. So, I'm headed to work and it's about 430am on a Saturday morning. I'm on 59 headed south and ahead I can see some "weavers". ('Usually drunks trying to make it home) Anyway, I think to myself, "Self, why don't ya down shift and blow right by? After all, I'm hauling major already". I was already moving at about 100 mph. There's no one on the road - what the . SO. I downshift to fourth and yank the throttle. The bike surges and before I know it I really moving and about to pass the truck when the driver decides that most important place to be is in MY lane. I hit both brakes and the tail end starts coming around. I immediately let off the rear brake and stay on the front - doing my best to hug the tank and swerve just missing the truck's rear left quarter panel. He pulled to the side of the road and so did I. I looked back, thought better of the confrontation (couldnt see inside the truck) and sped off. I got to the light to turn onto US90 and stopped. It hit me and I couldn't stop shaking. I rode nice and easy the rest of the way to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
they say you drive like a mad man
PB125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Lets see.... the first time I ever road my first R6 down Hwy a woman pulled across the road right in front of me. I had to swerve to miss her car nearly tagging the bumper. Also I was out for a cruize on the 954 one night because the weather was so nice and as I came around 610 to get onto I-10 west there was construction and everybody was forced to go onto I-10 east. Needless to say a car in front of me was late to respond to this and slammed on their brakes. Well I had no exit so, slam on the brakes I did too. My first stoppie ever and I realized how how well the brakes work on 954's and how quick you can shut the bike down. right:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 AM   #14
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

the only close encounter ive ever had was in a parkin lot. I pulled out of Katy Mills parkin lot and gave it too much gas and I even think I his a greasy spot cuz my rear tire spun and I almost highsided. I was able to control it and be fine. Havent had any other close encounters yet.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #15
st3ph3n

i guess poopSHITo never had any cus hes a pro
Old 07-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #16
Stone_618

Bike(s):
'03 ZX6R 636

Send a message via AIM to Stone_618 Send a message via MSN to Stone_618

i have at least one close call everytime i ride. in 3 and half years riding, ive probably had about 5 extreme close calls. i don't remeber them off the top of my head cuase i try not to let them phase me.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:23 AM   #17
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
i think he just hasnt ridden enough yet..
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #18
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
Quote:
i think he just hasnt ridden enough yet..
i did down a bike last summer doing a tight turn on gravel...
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #19
JoeRider

Member Garage

Just had one last Sunday...

Out for the usual ride with a few bikes, we come into the first corner and apparently my brain just wasn't there yet so I just kept looking in front of the bike and the bike kept going wider and wider in the turn (target fixation). Fortunately, (kinda like a mantra - I always keep saying to myself "dont abandon the turn, dont abandon the turn" when going thru turns) I was able to put in more lean angle and ride the yellow stripe out of the turn just inches from the gravel. It wasn't a fast or a really tight turn. Brain was just not functioning. After that little embarrassing wake up call I rode much better.

Advertisement