Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

James Toesland - Major Mistake?

From Superbikeplanet.com... personally I think it's a major mistake to sign with such an uncompetitive team!

Quote:
This just in from Yamaha:

Tech 3 Yamaha would like to announce that it has secured the services of James Toseland for the 2008 season. The British rider will begin his MotoGP career with the Yamaha factory supported organisation next year.

Toseland - who is currently leading the Superbike World Championship by 43 points - has already proved his racing credentials. He was the youngest ever World Superbike Champion in 2004 and is aiming to secure the title once again this season.

"I am delighted to have secured a rider of James' calibre and am looking forward to working with him," says Team Principal Herve Poncharal. "Procuring James is a major coup for Tech 3 Yamaha and for the MotoGP championship in extending our reach into Northern Europe. It is an exciting time for us all and I am certain that he will be an integral part of the team's future."

Further details, including James' team structure will be announced in due course.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Might have made a mistake crewchief Performance and Modifications 28 04-10-2012 10:38 PM
Where was my mistake???? TILLA THE KILLA General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 11-14-2006 11:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

They probably think he will be a good canidate for developing the bike and any ride in MotoGP is still... a ride in MotoGP.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
orchard

Feedback Rating: (1)

not a mistake at all Steve-O. They have been an uncompetitive team because they have had an uncompetitive rider. Toseland will change that. King James wants to take it to the top and this is his shot of doing that. It will be exciting to watch him next year.
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Gaston

Bike(s):
Husaberg FE450

I think this is not a bad move, and probably the best seat available to him in GP. He's in a bit of the same situation Colin was in 2002. He will most likely win his second WSB championship, and needs to move up to the top level. Colin moved up in the terrible Aprilia, but found his way to a Factory team within a few seasons.

It is crowded in GP, and most riders up there (if given the same equipment) would be fighting for top 5s. James is no exeption.

The Tech 3 team could be competitive given the right factory support (which they do have), and the right tires (Dunlops are not exactly setting the world on fire these days).
Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
I have my doubts, unless they drop the dunlops I don't see him having a good season.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Good for him!
I was kinda looking forward to seeing Toseland race MMS next year with WSBK. Guess I'll have to see him at Laguna or Indiana on his new yami.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
I'm not sure if it's a mistake, but definitely backtracking on his part. He said he would not make a move unless it was a front-line team that could win.

Tech-3's poor showing this year comes down to one thing. Dunlop tires. Sylvain Guintoli has had some amazing races considering it's his rookie season and all. Makoto Tamada has won a few races on Bridgestones, he's no gawd, but I doubt he has forgotten how to ride like a winner.

Interesting move for sure. Not a bad one if they switch tires, or if Dunlop pulls a miracle between now and the '08 season.

Marco Melandri had decent results with Tech-3 when he first moved up to the MotoGP class the same year as Nicky Hayden. Scored a podium before Hayden did. *shrugs* Should be fun to watch. :icon_bigg
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

From Eurosport.com as part of a Toseland interview...

Quote:
Despite speculation that the move would also bring a switch from Pirelli to Michelin tyres, Toseland said he did not yet know what rubber the Tech 3 team would use in 2008.

"I'm not 100 percent sure. All I know is that it's going to be a competitive tyre, we'll just have to wait and see which but it won't be a problem.

"I don't know which I would prefer. From one weekend to the next things chance, it's a bit of a lottery at the moment in MotoGP who has the advantage. It doesn't really matter."
If they stay with Dunlop, I think he's in trouble...
Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap View Post
From Eurosport.com as part of a Toseland interview...

If they stay with Dunlop, I think he's in trouble...
I think he just wants to play with the big boys now and could careless how he gets there.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
I think he just wants to play with the big boys now and could careless how he gets there.
Although that wasn't what he was saying before, I think he's taking Colin's advice and just getting there ASAP!!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
ChemiKaze

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

That is good that KJ is going for GP... it is important to go to GP as soon as possible; to learn the GP tracks and to learn to ride the lighter, more powerful GP machines.. riding a GP machine takes a different approach than a SB bike.. so good for him..
You know all this talk about factory only rides came from Dani and Casey... they all demanded factory rides but only Dani got it and did well in his rookie year too! But the path to factory GP rides have traditionally been with privateer teams and then moving up... Chris Vermi was lucky enough to get a Suzuki ride ... but most riders can't expect a factory immediately..

KJ being 26, prolly has about 4 years left to be ultra competitive... 27 to learn, 28 to fight, and 29 to win.. then it will be downhill from there...

, Rossi is just 28 and already I see Rossi's magic fading away as his mistakes are more noticable.

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED METAL View Post
I wouldn't turn it down....
+1

Old 08-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
They probably think he will be a good canidate for developing the bike and any ride in MotoGP is still... a ride in MotoGP.
I'm with u on this one. As long as its not a roberts
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement