MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #21
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

One thing I ALWAYS look at when I see a car stopped at a light, sign or whatever is their wheels...not the driver...when the wheels move the car moves...and hopefully not out in front of you.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What can I expect? 91stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 08-26-2011 09:02 PM
THEY EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THIS Badzx14r The Circus 56 01-26-2011 02:35 PM
Is this the Change we can expect? FKNA The Circus 19 08-28-2008 02:16 PM
Expect the UNexpected FKNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-30-2008 01:28 PM
problems are getting worse and worse CarbonJames Off Topic 30 09-03-2005 09:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
I ride as if I am playing Dodgeball. Checking out my opponents (cagers) and trying to anticipate their moves and try to avoid them.

If a car is sitting at a driveway fixin' to exit, I immediately put my finger on the brake and come off the throttle a bit just to be ready in case they pull out in front of me. I also always keep my eyes on what's going on behind me. Things like that. Riding in traffic really stresses me out because you have to be so frigging alert on the bike.
I like to use the freeway as a moving slolam course, but that is another subject..

Some good habits I have developed over the years, and a lot are mentioned in the tacked thread..

When I am on city streets or in traffic, I always have one or two fingers on the brake and clutch. That second of time to move off the grip could save your life. And most any bike but a cruiser will do a stoppie with two fingers. You may have better feel with 4 fingers like they teach in MSF, but after 30+ years 1 or 2 is second nature.

Any time you are around cages, watch the front wheel. That is your first indicator of what is going to happen next.

Don't ride in blind spots or alongside cages. Speed up or slow down, just get away if you can.

Don't worry over trying to anticipate their moves, just assume/know they don't see you and plan YOUR moves.

Learn to "scan" and look down the road, not 10 feet but a couple blocks.

Scanning is the habit of always keeping your eyes moving, and "tagging" things as to whether they are something important. I run a little circle constantly with my eyes.. down the road, up and down from the road right in front to as far as I can see.. then right mirror and side.. down to gauges.. left mirror and side.. back to front and repeat.

You learn to take notes of road surface, car down there in the drive way.. truck I just cleared on the right.. speed is good.. oh, cop on the left.. back to front that wasn't a pot hole after all.. ok that car down there is gone.. over and over. See something? Focus for a sec, then move on.

See what I mean? I do it as an unconscious habit now and people riding with are amazed that I am seeing stuff 1/4 mile ahead, long before we ever get to it.

And once you start doing this, you'll start seeing everyone else that ISN'T, the ones I call hood drivers because they don't see anything past the end of their hood..

woo.. that was long winded.. sorry! :confused2
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #23
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i act like i'm invisible also. when i speed by a cop going triple digits, i pretend he didn't see me, and i twist the wrist even more. :laughing6

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #24
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy"zx6 View Post
i notice that when you are riding your bike if you expect the worse from the people around you ,you will be better, point being is if you going to an intersection have your mind ready that the guy on the car is not going to stop or is going to come out in front of you,also while driving between cars expect the car in front of you to cut you off or just brake suddenly, if you expect the worse from the rest you will be safer and wont be surprice by their stupid moves that people pull on a daily basis .just my 2 cents and own experience
THATS ABOUT IT, THAT IS HOW I RIDE , HOPE FOR THE BEST AND EXPECT THE WORSE!

Advertisement