Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Patients go to Astros game to assist with rehab

Lewis Reyna is 52 years old and an Astros baseball game is his biggest motivator and opponent.

Reyna had a stroke a week and a half ago. He's already out to the ballgame because Quinton Mease Hospital pushes patients to get comfortable in real life situations as soon as possible.

"Working on skills such as walking, walking in crowds, walking on uneven surfaces," recreational therapist, Amy Parker, Harris Health System said.

Wednesday seven people are on their first public outing since being confined to a wheelchair or walker. Some of these patients are exhausted just going into the gift shop.

"Some of these patients have been in a bed so their endurance is really, really low," Parker said.

For every person, bump and high reach is a new adjustment.

Even as an advanced patient, Reyna feels frustration from the exercise.

"You can't do it anymore, it's pretty hard but I have encouragement from family and friends, from these people that I met and it's so needed you know?" Reyna said.

He says it's needed because even as he manuevers through Minute Maid less than two weeks after his stroke, he's got his mind made up on walking through here again someday.

"Even if I could ever get 100 percent use of my body, I'll never forget people like this, organizations like this that help people," he said.

Harris Health System says this exercise is possibly through the Astros' charity tickets.

They say every year the team gives them enough tickets to bring patients to a few games.

Astros20game20rehab20pic20160622223334 7172102 ver10 1280 720

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote