MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #21
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertrophyy
I have a few questions that might go good with this thread....... what is the deal with the DOT Dunlops.......why are they so freakin expensive and are they worth the bang for the buck?
As the former CMRA Dunlop dealer, IMO, one word: NO!

Quote:
I've heard great reviews on the BT-002 Pro's from many sources and have yet to run them.
Great tires IMO.

Quote:
I understand how setup and riding style effects tire performance. Right now I'm more focused on speed and traction.
Good plan!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 07-30-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so what tire are people using this year. paniro187 Taking it to the Track 9 04-01-2015 01:04 PM
SW people: tire service tustah General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 06-28-2013 05:33 AM
Tire question.. (my tire people where you at?) floyd600 Taking it to the Track 81 07-02-2012 12:41 PM
question people. S_M_J82 Off Topic 6 08-21-2006 06:14 PM
Question for the people staying Zapata Off Topic 12 09-22-2005 01:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 AM   #22
ChemiKaze

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

Hey Tam.. Sorry that I made the wrong turn on the way back if that was you!

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #23
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

The new tires will work with any year model bike as long as the proper wheel widths and clearances are taken into account. Tires are developed on a number of bikes, so there are not developed around any one machine.
Most people just take off one brand and go to the next without making any changes to the bike. Keep in mind if your getting on Bridgestones from a different brand, have a suspension guy look at the bike. Tires are your only connection to the track, If you change that connection, then adjustments may need to be made.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #24
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
The new tires will work with any year model bike as long as the proper wheel widths and clearances are taken into account. Tires are developed on a number of bikes, so there are not developed around any one machine.

John

(Thanx for the info Pat.)

I have a question between say the 207's and 208's between what you guys are telling me.

I understand that tires are universal. The shape of the 207's vs the 208's are diff. Which should mean that they will handle slightly different, right? That's why I popped the question... of "Whats new now might not be fastest for what I'm riding..." I only plan to run this bike for a few more months. Right now I'm just trying to get some seat time in. I just want to get the best understanding possible on the new stuff. Any direction on reading material would be great! :icon_smil
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #25
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

I'm sorry, am I not making any since?

Last edited by hypertrophyy; 07-31-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #26
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
no whats new now IS faster than the old stuff. but you need to change the suspension up a little to help increase the potential of the bike/tire combo.

even if you run the old stuff you should have your suspension tweaked

did that clear everything up?
Romeo36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 PM   #27
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertrophyy View Post
(Thanx for the info Pat.)

I have a question between say the 207's and 208's between what you guys are telling me.

I understand that tires are universal. The shape of the 207's vs the 208's are diff. Which should mean that they will handle slightly different, right? That's why I popped the question... of "Whats new now might not be fastest for what I'm riding..." I only plan to run this bike for a few more months. Right now I'm just trying to get some seat time in. I just want to get the best understanding possible on the new stuff. Any direction on reading material would be great! :icon_smil
get the bridgestone bt002 pros. you won't regret it. i'm running 120/190's (medium front, hard rear) on my 600rr...."turn in" is fast and smooth, very predictable. compared to power race rubbers.....i'll stick to the bt002's for now.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #28
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

michilins run the soft front and the pr5 or get the endurance tire. you have to specifically ask for the endurance tire but it will last pretty good for slower riders, fast riders will get a good 4 stright hours out of the mediem soft
Old 07-31-2007, 09:48 PM   #29
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Unfortunately there's no real "reading" material for tires, other than the propaganda the mfr's put out, or the magazine tests, which are often time biased due to advertising dollars.

Lastly tires are one of those subjective things;

As I've said in many posts before, all of the major mfr's. offer a competitive tire currently.
The biggest difference is their characteristics, triangular vs neutral profile, turn in, traction traits when worn, etc.

A lot of these things wind up falling into the category of personal preference, your style of riding and whether you trust the tire.

When I was racing, I picked tires based on price, longevity, feedback, turn in quality and technical and finacial support, not necessarily in that order.

Support of the tire distributor, both in terms of contingency payouts, and in terms of the vendor knowing his product, as well as the various tuners familiarity with tuning for the tire, mean a lot to me.

I know I asked as many questions as answered, but I hope this helped some

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 PM   #30
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

OK what about those of us who are slow as ? Would a BT002 Race/Street be acceptable to sprint on??? My skill is still far below what these tires are capable of... I don't need race shoes... yet. But I do wanna be safe out there.

I just gotta get my two race weekends in, then I'm buying a newer bike, warmers, DOTrace tires, etc...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #31
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
if you trust the tires.....it's all that matters. although i would recommend you upgrade to DOT's after you're done with the current set you're on right now. your skill level is improving quick....might want to back up the skill with proper rubber.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #32
K5GSXR1000

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000 & 06 636 For Sale

so far everyone I talked to love the BT002 vs power race. I'm not fast but not slow. Did 2 track days one at msrh and TWS (Texas World Speedway) ( missed 3 session) and not really pushing 100%. these power race are gone. Med/Soft compound
Maybe the soft has something to do with it :laughing6 Bridgestone here I come. Also who ran or runs 190/55 on a 600? Any inputs? As you can see I'm looking for traction and turn in ability. o it seems that the power pilot street tires turn in better then the power race, why is that or is it me?

Last edited by K5GSXR1000; 07-31-2007 at 11:31 PM.
K5GSXR1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #33
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
OK what about those of us who are slow as ? Would a BT002 Race/Street be acceptable to sprint on??? My skill is still far below what these tires are capable of... I don't need race shoes... yet. But I do wanna be safe out there.

I just gotta get my two race weekends in, then I'm buying a newer bike, warmers, DOTrace tires, etc...
Sorry but you have answered your own question.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #34
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

When I was racing, I picked tires based on price, longevity, feedback, turn in quality and technical and finacial support, not necessarily in that order.
That's the way I race too. Price and longevity are high on my priority list since my bike is a track day bike, and I don't sprint.

For those reasons, I have been made a believer of the 'Stones when Pete Martins had me try the "new" 090 DOT tire for the SV. I did run Dunlop 207/8 prior to that, and thought the Dunlops were very good. Much better than I was capable of using them. I tried the Bridgestones once and was hooked.

We run the Bridgestone slicks on our class winning SV, and have run 3 8-hour races (winning one, finishing 2nd and 3rd in class in the others) on one set (each race obviously).

I can run a 4, 5, or 6 hour race on a set of the Bridgestone slicks and still get 2 good track days out of them afterward.

I do have some observations and feedback on other brands because I have tried most of them.

The long and short of it is, just about any tire is a good tire these days.

As far as compounds go, I just use whatever John gives us. The trackside vendors know the most about the tire and what works in what conditions at each track. They are your best source of information.

It's almost useless to talk to most racers about tires. Just like Bubba loves his Michelins for his SV, I am equally as enthusiastic about the Bridgestones. Tire "wars" can get rediculous.

The Bridgestones are the best priced, give really, really good feedback and are predictable. Not to mention they last forever.

The Pirellis are sticky and work well, but when they're worn, or getting worn, they let go pretty un-predictably. They don't last very long either.

The Michelins (for us, YMMV) did not last very well, and didn't work well in the high speed corners. I've been able to carry much more corner speed with the 'Stones, but that was comparing the Pilot Race with the 090. The Michelins vs the Bridgestone slicks is no comparison.

The Metzlers plain sucked. We tried them in a 4 hour race, and didn't make 2 hours with them. We ended up putting some Dunlop take-offs on our spare wheels just to finish the race.

I like the Bridgestones, they work really well for the average track day rider to a podium winner in a club race. They are priced right, John gives superior track side assistance, and they last so long you would think that you got 2 for the price of one set of tires!

Try some different brands, make sure your suspension is set up well, get some seat time, and then make up your own mind.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #35
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

lap times tell the story
Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #36
level5
moving chicane

Okay, I have a question. If you are exiting a corner and the rear tire slipped, is that a sign of being worn or needs replacing? Are these tires supposed to slip at all under moderate to heavy acceleration in mid corners? Is the tires suppose to slip, period?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #37
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Okay, I have a question. If you are exiting a corner and the rear tire slipped, is that a sign of being worn or needs replacing? Are these tires supposed to slip at all under moderate to heavy acceleration in mid corners? Is the tires suppose to slip, period?
All tires lose traction at some point under acceleration.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody

Last edited by Moody; 08-01-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: lose, loose... hard to tell the difference
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #38
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post

ANY tire can lose traction / spin up exiting a corner.
Typically it's because you're getting on the gas too soon / too hard.
Several other factors can come into play though; body position, suspension set up, and tire pressure.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #39
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

I was surprised that David didn't offer any help?? He has always bent over backwards to help me. I have to agree with Chris on the Michelins because they have worked well for my riding style and setup for my SV. I can get several races out of my tires at most tracks except Oak Hill which seems to be more abrasive. Something else needing to be considered about tire wear is not just the amount of tread left but also the amount of heat cycles the tire is exposed to and the date of manufacture. I asked why Michelin didn't manufacture slicks for the SV's and David said that they put all their technology in the DOT tires. I can't personally compare the Stones with the Michelins but I understand they are working very well for top endurance teams. The link below is for our Michelin rep.

http://www.bibmen.com/
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #40
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Pat/Tom... thankyou for your in depth feedback.

Most of my question's have been answered but at the same time its funny cause other guys here are comming up with some good ones too.

I have always used a 180 on the back of my 600's but a 190/50 on my 1000's. So "PAIN" says he uses a 190 on his 600 and I probably know why already. The 180's turn on a dime.....fast....very fast. A 190 (though slower turn in speed) should be easier to control and have a bigger contact patch. If I were to use a 190/55 on a 600, would that defeat the purpose of the more controlable handling? Woudn't a 190/50 be more predictable?

On my R1, I love that 190/50. I can slam that thing into corners as hard as want (Not as fast as a 180..but its smooth and predictable). I haven't takin it to a track. On the street, if I know the corners, I'm almost fearless . I will come outta the corners and dirt-track that sucker.

In a way many of my questions have been answered but now I feel like more have just popped up, lol. Looks like I have aloooot of testing to do.

(My wrecks are 95% losing the front end in corners). Actually, I have only lost the back once. It was in the wet in turn 6 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I know it will happen again.....hopefully not soon.

Advertisement