MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #21
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i have never owned any bilt or sedici products. the quality looks like it has improved since i first saw cycle gear pushing them a few years ago. i dont feel all that tempted to make the plunge yet. i tried on some sedici leather jacket and it felt like . i dont know.
After his recent low side, my buddy was looking to replace an older Shoei and wanted a bluetooth helmet. Didn't listen when I tried to talk him into a nicer helmet with a BT add-on (or even an even pricier integrated unit) and went with a Bilt helmet. Think it lasted two weeks before it started falling apart on him. I can't remember what he ended up with, but he spent the money the second time around for something decent.

I think the only CG-house brand gear I've ever had is a pair of kevlar lined cargo pants, and they did their job when I hit an oil slick coming up to a stop light, but no idea how they'd hold up under a "real" slide.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New helmet? Miloman General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-22-2013 11:08 AM
I WANT THIS HELMET!!! Meaner-n-u Off Topic 38 04-23-2009 11:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i had a good laugh the other day when i was looking at helmets. i found a dual sport helmet i wanted to look a little closer at and the picture they had on the cycle gear website shows the helmet, which has a peak on it, with small insert that appear to pop into place.. no glue or screws... they just push in. anyways, this picture has a shot of the side of the helmet, and you can see one of those panels isnt all the way in. it has a tab hanging out in the picture. that's some pretty quality.
even mcdonalds' menu has good looking pictures of their burgers.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #23
Truckin_Thumper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Over the last 8 or so years, Cyclegear has become a ghost town no matter where I live.

90% of the stuff they have is junk. As for prices, I have seen them steadily rise to Dealership prices.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #24
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

my new scorpion helmet arrived. i like it so far, but have a couple of items on my list. i'm really not good at being content with what i have...
the sizes apparently run small. i wear an xl with just about every helmet i have ever worn. this is really tight on my cheeks. i need to get some xxl cheek pads or something. also, the first indent on the visor is way more than venting. this draws the air right to your eyeballs. it opens about an inch.

the helmet is really light for a modular, but still has metal connections where the face closes. there is some flex to it, and the outer visor feels a little cheap. maybe it's just because the visor mechanism is very different to what i'm used to. the inner visor is nice. i didnt have much need for it this morning, though. the real test will be when i'm riding home west at sunset :P
the paint on this helmet is really nice! the black has a metal flake to it. not quite bass boat, but it's noticeable. the helmet matches my hi viz mesh joe rocket jacket, without being a complete eyesore.
i got mine for about $180 because the box had some damage (i didnt notice any). i'm glad i got it. i think the normal retail is about $230ish. good luck finding one. i looked at about 20 different online stores that only had sizes like xs and xxxl. i found my cheap one on amazon.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #25
lizzardman

Bike(s):
Suzuki gsx650f

I have a shoei GT Air for $375. Bascially new. Size XL. It has an internal visor but is not modular. I bought it from a guy on CL, but he lied about the size so if you fot an XL you could buy it. Like New
lizzardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #26
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i appreciate the offer, but i'm good. i ordered some different pads, so my head wont feel like a zit under pressure any more
Old 07-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #27
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

here's an update. i've probably put around 600 miles on the scorpion lid.
i really like the modular feature, and the drop down sun visor is a nice thing to have as i drive west on my ride home in the evening. even with the xxl pads all round my melon, it can feel like it's going to pop. the ventilation isnt that great, compared to my mid range hjc. i feel like i was a better rider in general, while i was wearing the hjc. visibility in the scorpion isnt as good in the peripheral range, like when i check my mirrors. i'm going to move my sena smh5 to my hjc and see which i like better.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #28
HoustonHD

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

good to hear about your positive experience with going modular. I have a nolan n104 that I liked. Recently bought a Shoei Neotec that I REALLY like. I can't imagine ever going back to a standard full face.
HoustonHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #29
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

lol, actually the most positive thing about the modular was the price i bought it at. i got this lid for $180 due to some damaged packaging, which i didnt notice when i got it. i think retail on this is $230.
the helmet feels a lot less rigid than i am used to. in slower traffic, i like to ride with the face flipped up. that's more because the pads on the cheeks are still pretty tight, and it gives some relief. one of the big appeals to me for this helmet, was that it came with some nice graphics. i didnt want to look as old as i feel. still thinkng about ordering some xxxl pads lol. idk if i will ever be 100% happy with this lid.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #30
Truckin_Thumper

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
lol, actually the most positive thing about the modular was the price i bought it at. i got this lid for $180 due to some damaged packaging, which i didnt notice when i got it. i think retail on this is $230.
the helmet feels a lot less rigid than i am used to. in slower traffic, i like to ride with the face flipped up. that's more because the pads on the cheeks are still pretty tight, and it gives some relief. one of the big appeals to me for this helmet, was that it came with some nice graphics. i didnt want to look as old as i feel. still thinkng about ordering some xxxl pads lol. idk if i will ever be 100% happy with this lid.
It took mine about 600-800 miles before the cheek pads "broke in". Now, after 2K miles, its pretty nice. I did a lot of just having the face barely lifted while in the break in period.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #31
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

I ride with the face all the way up at lower speeds, but figure it's really unsafe to leave it just cracked open.
Still waiting on the xxl cheek pads from revzilla. Idk why it's taking this long.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #32
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

the xxxl pads finally came in. i think i'm done about this helmet now. these pads fixed my issues. *sigh of relief* there wasnt a bigger size, and i didnt think my head was this big.

Advertisement