Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

looking for a new helmet

i have a cl-17 victory right now. its an ok helmet, but when you close the visor all the way, it whistles, and i hate that. i'm thinking for my next lid, i want something with a drop down visor and maybe modular. i also like the looks of adv helmets. the icon variant has always been a cool looking design to me. scorpion has a nice looking modular adv with a drop down visor called the exo-at950 that wont break the bank. i'm thinking about getting that.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-neocon-helmet

since it's not out yet, i'm guessing nobody has any rider feedback with one.
if anyone does have some input on adv helmets with bells and whistles, i'd like to hear about it.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New helmet? Miloman General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-22-2013 11:08 AM
I WANT THIS HELMET!!! Meaner-n-u Off Topic 38 04-23-2009 11:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
HoustonHD

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

some recent observations I've made. Modulars tend to be bigger overall (outside dimensions) than a traditional full face. My nolan n104 in particular is one of the larger ones. Still comfortable but if you look at it compared to a trad full face, its MUCH bigger. Shoei neotec is an alternative modular to consider as well.

what I really hate is the lack of places to try them on around Houston. You'd think that in a city the size of ours that it would be easy to find a decent selection. Unfortunately most of the local shops seem to cater to the cheap $200 helmets only. Even when I DO find one local and try it on, I notice the price is significantly more expensive than online. Thus I'm near forced to buy online. For example I found Honda on 290 NW carried the Nolan I wanted. Went and tried it on and was willing to pay a little more since it was local. Figured I'd support local business. Then I saw the nolan I wanted for $75 cheaper on revzilla. I asked them to price match (or even come close) and was told they couldn't come off at all. :(
HoustonHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

so right. i want to try one on before i buy it, and i live out in dang montgomery. cycle shack north has an ok selection. if i want to look at something they dont carry, the next closest place is cycle gear on west road.
i'm kind of split on what i want. i would love that bell star helmet that had the wood grain design. i think it was an rsd design from several years ago, but i also want something touring friendly.
there's a bell helmet, i think called the bell revolver, that is a modular and looks like the star's retarded, older brother.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

I just picked up the GT-950.Pretty solid lid. I can wear most HJC, so the Scorpion is probably a good shape for you. I am seriously thinking about the new AT950 for use on the WR. I have a couple of months before it is done, so maybe they will come out with cool colors.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I've had a Bell Revolver and it never fit my head right, really narrow oval fit (or so it felt to my fairly neutral-oval head).

I've got a Fly dual sport style helmet and I love the way I can block the sun with the visor, but it catches some serious wind resistance once you get up over about 70-75 mph.

Currently I'm wearing an RPHA Max (HJC, modular) that I really like. I got mine on a recent clearance sale around $225, but you'll have to be quick if you actually find one around that price in your size. The current price range I'm seeing on a quick google search is $300-460.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i had this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...Hm1BoCbWDw_wcB
but that was during the 'loosenoose's project of the quarter' phase... i dont think i ever want above 30 or so in it.

i would like a dual sport helmet, but one where it either has an internal drop down tinted visor, or you can swap the shield out easily and quickly. i work 12's, so the sun is waiting for me on near the horizon when i get off work.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
HoustonHD

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i had this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...Hm1BoCbWDw_wcB
but that was during the 'loosenoose's project of the quarter' phase... i dont think i ever want above 30 or so in it.

i would like a dual sport helmet, but one where it either has an internal drop down tinted visor, or you can swap the shield out easily and quickly. i work 12's, so the sun is waiting for me on near the horizon when i get off work.
drop down internal sun visors often dont really come down far enough and split your field of vision. my nolan n104 does so bad, that feature is worthless to me.

just sayin dont get too excited ab that feature. maybe some are better tho
Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
lmindmoto

I don't have experience with modular helmets, but I spoke with the lady at Gulf Coast BMW (who really seems to know her stuff) and she uses one. She told me the key to modular helmets, when shopping, is to make sure the closing apparatus on the side is metal, not plastic. The plastic ones can break in a crash, exposing your head as the bottom part of the helmet would break off. I realize you're not close to the dealership, but if you're seriously shopping modulars, I'd HIGHLY recommend you speak with her. She's an older lady, platinum blonde - forgot her name. Raspy smoker's voice. Extremely knowledgeable.
lmindmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
HoustonHD

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmindmoto View Post
I don't have experience with modular helmets, but I spoke with the lady at Gulf Coast BMW (who really seems to know her stuff) and she uses one. She told me the key to modular helmets, when shopping, is to make sure the closing apparatus on the side is metal, not plastic. The plastic ones can break in a crash, exposing your head as the bottom part of the helmet would break off. I realize you're not close to the dealership, but if you're seriously shopping modulars, I'd HIGHLY recommend you speak with her. She's an older lady, platinum blonde - forgot her name. Raspy smoker's voice. Extremely knowledgeable.

How is their selection of helmets? Used to be that Honda on 290 and West rd seemed to have the best selection in town but the other day it seemed like they have reduced selection a lot.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
skelator
Just US Racing

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GT Performer

Shoei rf1200 ftw
Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
Go over to the BMWMOA, or the BMOA, ADV, FJ forums.....I dont think I have ever seen a crash report where one broke off in a crash......not saying it has not happened, I just have not seen much.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i said it last night and ordered a scorpion exo-gt920 satellite
it looks like a good helmet, has what i want. looks safe and not too heavy for a modular. seems to be well reviewed.
i tried on helmets at a few places yesterday and couldnt find anything worth buying. i almost bought a sedici or bilt something. i'm glad i didnt. the scorpion was hard to find in stock in an xl size. i probably looked at around 20 websites with no success, before i found one on amazon with a good discount because of damaged packaging. woot!
i think it was $180 for my brand new helmet, which should arrive tomorrow
i'll be sure and let yall know my thoughts about it after ive got a couple hundred miles on it
Old 06-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
i said it last night and ordered a scorpion exo-gt920 satellite
it looks like a good helmet, has what i want. looks safe and not too heavy for a modular. seems to be well reviewed.
i tried on helmets at a few places yesterday and couldnt find anything worth buying. i almost bought a sedici or bilt something. i'm glad i didnt. the scorpion was hard to find in stock in an xl size. i probably looked at around 20 websites with no success, before i found one on amazon with a good discount because of damaged packaging. woot!
i think it was $180 for my brand new helmet, which should arrive tomorrow
i'll be sure and let yall know my thoughts about it after ive got a couple hundred miles on it

Good deal...MotoLiberty here in DFW has them in stock. Thats where I got mine.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
lmindmoto

Quote:
How is their selection of helmets? Used to be that Honda on 290 and West rd seemed to have the best selection in town but the other day it seemed like they have reduced selection a lot.
Selection won't be anywhere near that of Cycle Gear. I'd say around 25 different styles or so?

Really wish Houston had something like a Revzilla or Aerostich.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

do revzilla and aerostitch have brick and mortar shops? i would love to go through a jc penny style gear shop, trying on gear until i find something i cant nitpick.
this scorpion helmet i got looks great, but i'm sure i'll find something to about in the first 2 weeks of riding with it, lol
Old 06-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Quote:
Cycle Gear.
i have never owned any bilt or sedici products. the quality looks like it has improved since i first saw cycle gear pushing them a few years ago. i dont feel all that tempted to make the plunge yet. i tried on some sedici leather jacket and it felt like . i dont know.
Liked this post:
Old 06-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #17
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
do revzilla and aerostitch have brick and mortar shops? i would love to go through a jc penny style gear shop, trying on gear until i find something i cant nitpick.
this scorpion helmet i got looks great, but i'm sure i'll find something to about in the first 2 weeks of riding with it, lol
the Closest you will find is Motrocyclegear.com (NewEnough.com).

Its a trek, but a good weekend ride if you leave mid day friday (oops I lied....better leave on a Monday as they are not open on the weekends)

7916 Private Road 5960, Shallowater, TX 79363
Old 06-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #18
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
the Closest you will find is Motrocyclegear.com (NewEnough.com).

Its a trek, but a good weekend ride if you leave mid day friday (oops I lied....better leave on a Monday as they are not open on the weekends)

7916 Private Road 5960, Shallowater, TX 79363
dang man... that is a ride.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
dang man... that is a ride.
Is that not why you have a motorbike?
Liked this post:
Old 06-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #20
lmindmoto

Regarding Cycle Gear - I'm not a fan of Bilt or Sedici stuff, in general. I think it's $hite. They DO carry Astars & Dainese, among others. But it's obviously MUCH pricier. Ya get what ya pay for. Might sound "not good", but I usually go there only to try on something, then buy it online later. I've found that, even when Cycle Gear has "sales", most times I can find it online cheaper. In some cases, as much as 75% off.

Regarding brick & mortar: Both Revzilla and Aerostich do, but you're looking at a plane ticket as they're quite far. But, if fit is important to you, it might be worth it. Aerostich is incredibly pricey and, most people, especially the younger crowd, will give you grief over how ugly some of their gear is. Make no mistake though - their stuff works and MANY people have crash-tested their gear with EXTREMELY good results. Klim, Olympia, Giant, Astars, Dainese, Black, Aero, Spyke and, if you're feelin' crazy, BKS Leathers in the UK are probably among the better brands of gear, from my experience.

For me, fit has always been the priority so, even though you might find an awesome pair of Astars boots on Craigslist, I'd suggest ALWAYS trying on gear before you drop your hard-earned dollars down. This is ESPECIALLY important when it comes to helmets. Just had a discussion with my sister the other day about this and she didn't realize she shouldn't be able to twist her head around inside the shell. I explained why it matters and pros/cons of various brands with her so she said she'd go shopping soon after.

Guess I didn't realize NewEnough were so close. Thanks for the heads up Thumper. Definitely going to check that out.

Advertisement