MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Marlon

Feedback Rating: (0)

Ride to the Grand Canyon

Hello everyone,

so due to work (military) I have been away from home for 1 year and that also means away from my bike. my assignment is coming to an end and I will be home in a few days and I am very excited.

I have always wanted to do a road trip on the bike and so I have decided to go from Houston to the Grand Canyon. I believe some of you guys have made this trip before and I wanted to ask for advice such as road to take, places to stop etc. of course I will have to do maintenance to my bike before i go and do all the regular checks.

bike:
2003 Honda 919
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Canyon Stricken55 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-01-2014 09:33 AM
W Planning to go off to the Grand Canyon scubalizard Events, Meets and Rides 7 06-23-2011 06:29 PM
Help me plan my Grand Canyon road trip! zombiejesus Off Topic 1 08-09-2010 08:57 PM
Street Ride at meet at Grand Prix hooligansETL Events, Meets and Rides 22 07-31-2006 08:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

When are you planning on going? Ive got some Nelson Rigg saddle bags snd tail bag I am not using any longer if you are interested.

Make sure to have
Fresh tires
Oil changed
Clean airfilter
Chain cleaned lubed
Lube chain at the end of every other day

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
mrapplecastle

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
ktm 690 enduroR
r1200gsa

I plan on riding out to cali early july, probably gonna go through flagstaff, a detour to the grand canyon wouldnt be that far out of the way, depending on when you were leaving.
mrapplecastle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

When I went out there we took what was left of rt. 66 starting in Oklahoma. While there is some cool stuff to see along the way, unfortunately most of it has been swallowed by interstates.

Also, I don't know if you're planning on camping, but if you find yourself in Flagstaff, AZ, I kind of liked the teepees at the Flagstaff KOA. Kind of a fun experience. https://koa.com/campgrounds/flagstaf...nique-lodging/
Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Go around June 24th and catch the 100th running of the PPIHC in Colorado Springs. Avoid anything south like I-10. Go north to the mountains.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Txagharrison
Highsida 50

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2006 Suzuki V-Strom
2006 Honda 919

I also have a 919.

A windshield may make the trip more comfortable for you if on the interstates.

Check out National Cycle brand for the 919.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Marlon

sorry guys, its been a very busy couple of days for me and I have limited access to internet. thanks to everyone for their comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
When are you planning on going? Ive got some Nelson Rigg saddle bags snd tail bag I am not using any longer if you are interested.

Make sure to have
Fresh tires
Oil changed
Clean airfilter
Chain cleaned lubed
Lube chain at the end of every other day
thanks Byrdman, im already planning on doing the maintenance as soon as i get home. if I could borrow the saddle bags that will be awesome, I will PM you when i get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplecastle View Post
I plan on riding out to cali early july, probably gonna go through flagstaff, a detour to the grand canyon wouldnt be that far out of the way, depending on when you were leaving.
hmm.. July sounds like a reasonable time for me. how many times have you done this trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
When I went out there we took what was left of rt. 66 starting in Oklahoma. While there is some cool stuff to see along the way, unfortunately most of it has been swallowed by interstates.

Also, I don't know if you're planning on camping, but if you find yourself in Flagstaff, AZ, I kind of liked the teepees at the Flagstaff KOA. Kind of a fun experience. https://koa.com/campgrounds/flagstaf...nique-lodging/

that was my original plan, go to Amarillo and catch route 66 from there. so would you say that there is nothing to see anymore ? I was looking forward to some vintage stuff, old towns etc. I will make sure to check those teepees. thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Go around June 24th and catch the 100th running of the PPIHC in Colorado Springs. Avoid anything south like I-10. Go north to the mountains.
I didnt know about the PPIHC, I just looked up and it seems like something I would be into. as I plan my route I will take it in consideration. thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txagharrison View Post
I also have a 919.

A windshield may make the trip more comfortable for you if on the interstates.

Check out National Cycle brand for the 919.
do you have a windshield on yours? what is your longest trip ? thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Depending when you head up, I live about 45 minutes from Pikes Peak and you are more than welcome to crash here.. even if I am offshore the wife is home.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
paniro187

Want to throw in there.

Thanks for your service.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

July...in Az? Why not.

I would go due west out of Houston.....San Anton, Del Rio, Alpine,(Big Bend if you can swing it), Pecos, Carlsbad, Roswell, Ruidoso, Show Low, Flagstaff, and then to the North Rim. North Rim is much better. Then circle around, to the south rim.

THen Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglas, Then find 9 to El Pisso, Hwy 20, to I-10 to 90. 90 all the way home.

Ive done this route, and once you get out of Tejas, its FUN.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Depending when you head up, I live about 45 minutes from Pikes Peak and you are more than welcome to crash here.. even if I am offshore the wife is home.
thanks Texlurch, I will keep that in mind.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #12
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
July...in Az? Why not.

I would go due west out of Houston.....San Anton, Del Rio, Alpine,(Big Bend if you can swing it), Pecos, Carlsbad, Roswell, Ruidoso, Show Low, Flagstaff, and then to the North Rim. North Rim is much better. Then circle around, to the south rim.

THen Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglas, Then find 9 to El Pisso, Hwy 20, to I-10 to 90. 90 all the way home.

Ive done this route, and once you get out of Tejas, its FUN.
wow that really helps alot, thank you. so do you recommend route 66 ?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #13
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
Want to throw in there.

Thanks for your service.

thank you for your support Paniro.
Liked this post:
Old 06-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #14
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
wow that really helps alot, thank you. so do you recommend route 66 ?
why not, when riding its not if it is feasible or if there is any rationale to it....you do it because you can.....

When I did my ride-a-bout, people would ask me "where ya going?", I liked saying ..."dunno, west I 'spose"
Old 06-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #15
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
that was my original plan, go to Amarillo and catch route 66 from there. so would you say that there is nothing to see anymore ? I was looking forward to some vintage stuff, old towns etc. I will make sure to check those teepees. thank you
There's still stuff to see, you'll just find yourself on a lot of interstates in between. What's left of 66 is usually something like an interstate "business" loop through a town or something similar. I'm sure there are maps available that will show you where there's still stuff to see.

I did the trip myself in July (wedding we rode to/from was July 13th in Vegas), make sure you have a Camel Back or something similar. I think I was going through about a liter of water/powerade every hour or so and never had to stop to pee.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
There's still stuff to see, you'll just find yourself on a lot of interstates in between. What's left of 66 is usually something like an interstate "business" loop through a town or something similar. I'm sure there are maps available that will show you where there's still stuff to see.

I did the trip myself in July (wedding we rode to/from was July 13th in Vegas), make sure you have a Camel Back or something similar. I think I was going through about a liter of water/powerade every hour or so and never had to stop to pee.
thanks, I am looking a the maps now and you are correct. I will make sure to get on it anyways. at least on the way there and may change the route on the way back.

thanks for the tip on hydration, trust me i know how important that is and i do have camelbak gear so i will make sure to bring it.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #17
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

@Marlon If you come through DFW, I'll ride with ya a ways, depending on what day you head out.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
mrapplecastle

Bike(s):
ktm 690 enduroR
r1200gsa

I've never done the trip on a bike, only by cage. Northern arizona wont be as bad as phoenix area, but camel backs will be a must. I havent decided what bike I will be making the trip on, but I'd like to do it my 690.
mrapplecastle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

The east side of Arizona u absolutely can not miss! US 191 from Clifton to Alpine, Az is a must ride if you are anywhere near it....

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #20
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
...thanks for the tip on hydration, trust me i know how important that is and i do have camelbak gear so i will make sure to bring it.
Over hydrate and you stay more alert and gain energy. I've logged over 35K miles the past year and drink water constantly while riding. My tip for you: pack Camelback with as much ice as possible before adding any water. Each gas stop, as required I almost never add water but top off Camelback with ice instead. Every gas station, c-store or fast food joint has a drink fountain machine and I've yet to find one that didn't allow me to get free ice. Ice machines are filtered water (or good enough for me) so I have a constant supply of cold, filtered drinking water as ice melts quickly and without spending $2 for a bottle of water each fill up.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote