MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Springer's homer in 11th gives Astros 5-4 win over Diamondbacks

George Springer has been on quite a roll since moving into the leadoff spot.

Springer homered with two outs in the bottom of the 11th inning to give Houston a 5-4 win over Arizona on Wednesday night for the Astros' fifth straight victory, and third in a row against the Diamondbacks.

George Springer said that was his first walk-off home run of his life. We think it was worth the wait. #VoteSpringer pic.twitter.com/g4HglvcpGo</p>-- Houston Astros (@astros) June 2, 2016

Springer hit the first pitch he saw from Tyler Clippard (2-2) off the facade in left-center for his 13th home run of the season and first career walkoff shot.

"It was awesome," Springer said. "I knew that I had hit it well and obviously for our squad right there it's a big hit. I was happy to help us win."

Springer is batting .450 (18 of 40) with five home runs and 10 RBIs in the nine games since being moved to the first spot in the Astros' lineup.

"He's locked in," manager A.J. Hinch said. "Him being able to do damage and at the same time draw a walk, hit a double, throw a runner out, he runs the bases well. He's an extraordinary player."

Michael Feliz (4-1) pitched two innings for the win.

"It's an emotional win after a punch in the gut with them able to post three runs in the ninth," Hinch said. "Again, I think our guys continued to battle, continued to compete."

Michael Bourn hit an RBI double to cut Houston's lead to 4-2 in the ninth before Jake Lamb hit a two-run homer off Luke Gregerson to tie it.

"It was more a team effort," Lamb said. "We battled back and then we just didn't come through with the win. We're getting close. We're playing fairly solid defense. We're playing good baseball. That's a frustrating one, that's a tough one to lose."

Carlos Correa had a two-out RBI single and Evan Gattis followed with a homer off the facade in left to give the Astros a 3-1 lead in the fifth.

Tony Kemp added a sacrifice fly in the eighth for Houston, which won for the eighth time in nine games and gave Hinch his 200th career victory -- 89 with the Diamondbacks and 111 with the Astros.

"I think we're playing good baseball," Springer said. "I think that we've shown not only to the other team but to ourselves that we've been down in every game so far and we've come back and scored some runs. That's obviously big for us and we've got to continue to keep playing good overall baseball."

Mike Fiers allowed one run and four hits with a season-high seven strikeouts in six innings.

Brandon Drury scored on a wild pitch in the third to give Arizona a 1-0 lead.

Robbie Ray allowed three runs and six hits with six strikeouts in five innings. The left-hander has not made it through the fifth in his last three starts and six of his last eight.

Springer20homerun 1464871086129 6646104 ver10 1280 720

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement