MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
TxCountryBoy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Becoming a New Rider and First Bike

So I joined about a year ago on planning that I was going to get a bike very quickly, complications came withe work, military, and a wreck just wanna know some of the groups that are around the spring area just to ride around with some good guys and gals but just anywhere is great too. 19yr old just looking to have fun but not worry about to much trouble but have a great day out riding

also looking at 3 different bike standards to choose from some sort of dirt tracker bobber, stunter 600cc or just regular middleweight sport bike or naked middleweight, or a 450cc supermoto kept going back to the supermoto but still on the edge for the right bike for less then 4500$
TxCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rider or bike bueller Taking it to the Track 22 05-21-2010 01:40 PM
its the rider and not the bike RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 10-04-2009 12:44 PM
Rider Chases Bike bumblebee General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-24-2008 10:43 AM
New rider....which bike? Spanish Fly General Discussion (Moto Related) 74 03-16-2007 10:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
Shuhboogie
IS AFK

Experience: 10+ years

The title says you're a new rider and looking at your first bike. If you have little to no experience on a bike I would start with something smaller than a 600. Gain the experience dealing with traffic on something small that you can maneuver quickly in the event of an "OH " moment. I rode my cbr250r for a year and a half before moving to something bigger. I had plenty of those moments. Almost totaled my 800 within the first two weeks when some guy decided to do a U-turn from the right lane with no warning.
Hopefully we will see you out and about soon. Check out the NW meet on Monday nights. Take a look at the Rides/Events section, there is usually something going on.
Shuhboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
TxCountryBoy

Prefer to get more of a naked street fighter over full Supersport and I want to keep the bike for awhile without upgrading on power and also going in with riding with the respect that whatever bike I ride can still buck me off without expecting it
Old 05-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCountryBoy View Post
Prefer to get more of a naked street fighter over full Supersport and I want to keep the bike for awhile without upgrading on power and also going in with riding with the respect that whatever bike I ride can still buck me off without expecting it
It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. If you also have a healthy instinct for self preservation you will be fine on just about any bike. Most of the styles of bike you are mentioning would not be too powerful. I have never subscribed to the idea that you have to start on a 30HP bike.

If you are a crazy MFer with no instinct for self preservation. Start on a 50 for stunting or a 250 for street.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
TxCountryBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail View Post
It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. If you also have a healthy instinct for self preservation you will be fine on just about any bike. Most of the styles of bike you are mentioning would not be too powerful. I have never subscribed to the idea that you have to start on a 30HP bike.

If you are a crazy MFer with no instinct for self preservation. Start on a 50 for stunting or a 250 for street.

Looking about a fz-07 or 09 the Honda cbr500f or the Honda 450f/Yamaha 450f
Old 05-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
Shuhboogie
IS AFK

Find whatever you feel the most comfortable on. Stay patient, stay sensible, and you will stay alive.
Shuhboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCountryBoy View Post
then supermoto it is.

if you ever upgrade, you'll still want to keep the supermoto.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuhboogie View Post
Find whatever you feel the most comfortable on. Stay patient, stay sensible, and you will stay alive.
This ^^^

Don't listen to all the comments about engine size, that don't matter... they all accelerate the same if you twist the throttle back really fast and dump the clutch. Find one that fits you well, where you feel stable and comfortable, and then learn to ride it. Riding can get expensive, so piece your gear together over time before buying the bike. If you buy the bike first and then have a small fund left over for gear, look in the classified section under motorcycle gear. Right at the top there should be a sticky that's named gear give and take, there you can find second hand gear that will protect your skin until you can afford to buy what you want. Good luck and welcome back to MH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #9
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

I have found that most riders are not being legitimately honest with themselves when they tout the self control not to go crazy on a supersport while they are still learning. I, myself, am one of those people. I bought a 300 and got a feel for it, then went crazy. If I had started on a supersport, I'd probably be dead. And I was absolutely convinced that I was a responsible, safety-conscious kinda guy. Anyone that knows me would agree. And yet I'm still very glad I started on a 300. Just my $.02. I'd buy a 250 and sell it for what you bought it for in a year from now and get whatever you want.
Liked this post:
Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #10
Oskar_Z28

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

Get an SV650. I learned to ride on one in 2001. Still have one in a garage as a really fun track bike.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement