MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Longnguyen

Feedback Rating: (0)

Chain length

I searched google,and yahoo on chain length and how it changes handling. None of the websites says "how" it changes it specifically or to what extent. Reason im asking is for every track i have different gearing, as im sure other guys on here do too.But my gearing varies tremendously, i can have a wheelbase difference of over 1 inch. And yes i know you can have multiplie chains to keep the distance constant but how much exactly does this affect handling and how.
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stock chain length on 09 zx6r? green600 Performance and Modifications 2 08-27-2011 03:10 AM
SAG NUMBERS... % OR LENGTH? Pre-K Taking it to the Track 12 09-02-2010 05:07 PM
3/4 Length Boots VenaSera Gear Talk 16 01-23-2010 02:27 PM
Chain Length? Pyrofallout General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 04-29-2009 09:35 AM
chain length/sprocket conv. Chris24 How To's and Q & A's 4 10-11-2006 12:21 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
rabbit pancake

:laughing6

are you going to cresson for cmra race next month?

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
if you add teeth to the back you are gonna be shorting the wheelbase, that will make it turn better but be less stable on the straights, and the oppisite for when you go with taller gearing
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Longnguyen

i might make cresson, but gotta corner work sunday so i cant sprint only maybe mini but then i dont know. Are you going to mini or race?
and yea short and lengthen wheelbase affects it but you still didnt explain how.
Just like when everyone talks about setting suspension theres some information like: increasing this will result in this etc. i havent read a good explanation.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Longnguyen

reason im wonder this is because my wheelbase does change of 1 or more inches depending on track and if this amount will have a great impact on the ride then i will look further into having multiple chains lengths to keep the wheelbase the same each time.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

It can/will change things, if your riding at a higher pace. Say at Cresson, If your running in the 1:30+ range, then no, I doubt you will really be able to tell the difference. BUT if your running in the 1:22 or faster range, then yes it might make a noticable difference.
I think you have to look at your riding realistically. If your just learning or starting out, and having a difficult time. Have the bike looked at and set-up properly. Monitor your air pressures and RIDE. 90% of this racing thing is mental. I've seen countless people change all kinds of things and spend tons of $$, because they were not going as fast as they wanted to be / or thought they should be. Track time is really the only fix. In your case it can be difficult to get good advice because the 125gp bikes tend to take different lines than say a 600 ss. Seek out that help and get out on the track. Don't worry about your chain length.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Oh BTW it changes because a higher tooth spocket is larger in diameter, thus requiring more chain to go around it. The larger the sprocket, the shorter the distance between the sprockets center-to-center.

PS Bubba get your up here to Hallett!

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Longnguyen

i know why the wheelbase changes its because of the sprockets. but i wanted to know if i should keep it at a constant or have it change basically every different track
Old 07-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
well, naturally it would be best to keep it constant for consistency's sake, but on tracks where you'll be running a larger rear sprocket it's probably a tighter track, so the shorter wheelbase might help you, and vice versa for a longer wheelbase.

what changes is the bikes willingness to turn in. for example..look at speedboats compared to jetskis. the shorter length of the jetski allows them to turn faster and tighter, but the speedboats are more stable. extending the wheelbase on a bike applies the same way, and it will also allow you to get on the power harder out of the turns because the bike is less willing to pick up the front wheel under accelleration.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Shorter wheelbase will also tend to wheelie/stoppie easier, when hard on the gas or brakes (respectively), so in all respects the shorter wheelbase is less stable than the longer wheelbase, but like most have said - unless you are crazy fast it's not going to make enough difference to worry with.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Longnguyen

yea i guess, i'll just let it change everytime i change sprocket. thats just one of the varibles i was trying to eliminate since i change sprockets at everytrack and didnt want it to be part of the guessing game. if it only makes minute influences then watever.

Advertisement