Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Fan-favorite bat boy gets his own bobble head from Sugar Land Skeeters

Since the Sugar Land Skeeters franchise debuted in 2012, one of the fan favorites each night at the ballpark has been the team's bat boy, who is simply known as Big Mike.

The 24-year-old, whose real name is Mike Garcia, is proud to play a role in the Skeeters' success. If you ask Garcia, he'll tell you it's a dream job.

"It's been a lot of fun for me and a lot of work as well," Garcia told KPRC'S Randy McIlvoy recently at Constellation Field. "I really am having too much fun doing it."

His job with the Skeeters has given Garcia, who was born with a learning disability, self-confidence since his first day on the job. Garcia is happy when fans yell from the stands, "Hey, Big Mike!"

"It gets a big smile on my face and I wave back to the fans," Garcia said.

His stepfather, Raul Martinez, couldn't be more proud of how Garcia has matured into a young man.

"He's amazing. (I'm) proud of (the) young man he's become. I really am," Martinez said.

With an impeccable work ethic, Big Mike strives to be the best bat boy in the business. While he is a fan favorite, Big Mike also has a fan in Skeeters skipper Gary Gaetti.

"I am really happy for him," said Gaetti. "He has become a fixture with our team and our fans, and he is a pleasure to be around, that's for sure."

The Skeeters will honor Garcia on Sunday by giving away "Big Mike" bobbleheads, the first ever created for a bat boy.

"It's really awesome," said Garcia. "I don't know what to say, that's for sure. I've been asking every year, and this year it's finally coming up."

Big20Mike20Skeeters20Bat20Boy20160520045336 4610730 ver10 1280 720

NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote