Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #61
Driving Duh-Bus
Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Telling a rider how to ride to avoid a tankslapper by riding a certain way is just silly. Getting out of it, yes, there are steps to take to stop the insanity.
Faster and Faster, Slowly! BRAWP it like its hot, BRAWP it like its hot.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank Slapper Theory FKNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 03-02-2009 12:06 PM
tank slapper Javi Stunters Lounge 27 01-17-2008 04:45 PM
Is this a Tank Slapper? RinasDaddy General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 11-23-2007 11:46 AM
tank slapper? gixxer6 Stunters Lounge 11 02-27-2006 05:51 PM
Old 05-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #62
GingerBrawp CMRA #369
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Also, firm believer that there is nothing a rider can do wrong to make a bike go into a tankslapper.

A tankslapper is a harmonic vibration of the bike / suspension / tires that builds on itself until a change is made or the bike goes out of control. Rider input has nothing to do with it, up to the point the rider could drastically change throttle / brake / body position to attempt to control it. Not very likely they will be able to tho.

Steering dampers for the win. And proper tire pressures and sizes. And suspension set up by someone knowledgeable...not redone or anything, just properly set up by a suspension guy using factory available settings trackside.

Saying the rider did something only makes everyone nervous that their riding style will bring on a tankslapper. This is just not the case. It is a bike harmonics issue.
On my SV when i had mine.. it was a combo of light front end under acceleration, stiff frame on SV, bump and stiffer carcass on slicks that essentially created the harmonics mentioned above... I then stayed light on the handlebars... and rode it for 200 yards trying to regain control... still ended in being thrown.
Trey zps3a9a06e5
If I can't eat it, race it or sleep with it then whats the point?

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #63

Experience: 5 years

09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
All this is proof to me that the racing environment is much safer than trackdays. Skip taking your 600 or 1000 to the track when you haven't a clue. instead get a lightweight dedicated racebike and make a friday LSTD practice in street class to start.

Just watching those two short clips gave me chills about the boneheaded riding I just witnessed. Like the white leathers and blue wheel bike hitting the brakes in an acceleration zone after T2. Coulda been ugly.
What? Track days aren't safe so go do a track day? What proof do you have to back up that racing is safer than track days? I see a lot more people go to the hospital on race day than I do during track days.

Also, firm believer that there is nothing a rider can do wrong to make a bike go into a tankslapper.
Ummm, yes, there is. Bar input has a lot to do with tank slappers.
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #64
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Also trying to stop that little wiggle when you set a wheelie down not quite straight or when the front end is light transfers the normal righting motion of the front wheel through the rider into the frame and amplifies the problem. I suck at riding in general but Dean with Ridesmart noticed that I often get a bit of a wheelie while still leaned over coming out of the gut check at MSRH,which always freaked me out. He told me to concentrate on keeping my arms loose and to think of them as part of the suspension, "the forks of my upper body" worked like a charm. That and a good steering damper.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #65
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

'09 R1 (track)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)
'05 Honda "Fiddy"

Dean is awesome!
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote