MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #41
NMEXPAT

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcordEagle View Post
2min lap @TWS (Texas World Speedway) is well inside ridesmart level 3 limits! If memory servers 2:10 is the ceiling, right?

Amen on doing this for fun and going home in one piece..
I was NOT doing 2:00min lap times this past Saturday. After you asked, I picked one lap in the first video I posted. It was a 2:15 lap time.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank Slapper Theory FKNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 03-02-2009 12:06 PM
tank slapper Javi Stunters Lounge 27 01-17-2008 04:45 PM
Is this a Tank Slapper? RinasDaddy General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 11-23-2007 11:46 AM
tank slapper? gixxer6 Stunters Lounge 11 02-27-2006 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #42
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
If you're in level 2 and have a big bike, try an LSTD track day on a Friday in the B group, you'll get passed on the inside all day long by the minis and 300s, very skilled riders/racers but not allowed in expert level due to closing speeds.

Scary at first but then you get used to it and I can't speak for others but it's made me a much better rider.

The video below shows what I'm talking about, I got passed on the inside and outside, simultaneously, by a couple of 250s. Awesome.

https://youtu.be/OAdqFrvFXCc
Yep, I'm one of those 250 riders
Rod20MSRH2002 13 16 zpsukocqmag
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #43
hacxor

Bike(s):
'12 Tuono
'06 z1000 -Gone

Quote:
Classic, but for the ultimate on-track douchebaggery check this out:

Worst Motorcyclist Ever - YouTube

Wow... I can't even.... Your picture is so clear. What camera do you use? Almost no shaking, clear as day. Hands down best picture.

And I have no idea what that guy was doing. Scraping toe? Trying out the motogp foot out before corner? He almost lost it a couple times scraping toe.
hacxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #44
ConcordEagle

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Yep, I'm one of those 250 riders
You going to lstd Cresson this weekend? I'll be providing plenty of inside passing bait
ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #45
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
Classic, but for the ultimate on-track douchebaggery check this out:

Worst Motorcyclist Ever - YouTube
Rossi came to a track day??!?!??
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #46
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

looks like he may have pulled the front tire up without knowing it and had some bar in it when it came back down = tank slapper. He went to the gas hard on the exit.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #47
texasgsx-r

[

Last edited by texasgsx-r; 05-16-2016 at 04:03 PM.
texasgsx-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #48
texasgsx-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Since I'm bored here is the only other interesting thing I got on video from Saturday.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...b3TWVR-960.mp4

In the end not a big deal, but just witnessing this guy run off, then get in front of me abruptly going into turn 1 and then parking it into turn 3, had me nervous and a little annoyed... That's learning for me and him.

the joys of track days, still better than working.
That's me in the white Dainese suit and I didn't go off track that was another rider in another white suit. But if you have done trackdays before they preach about giving courtesy to the rider in front of you regardless if they are moving at your pace of slower. Its a track day not a race day.
texasgsx-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #49
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

What do they say about going WOT in the straights and parking it in the corners??
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #50
Rod

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
What do they say about going WOT in the straights and parking it in the corners??
Another thing that no one is talking about... the number of LV2 riders that don't attend classes...
CMRA#672
Old 05-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #51
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Another thing that no one is talking about... the number of LV2 riders that don't attend classes...
what did you just say?
Old 05-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #52
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

I see even more riders that go to the classes and never learn anything... Seems like the same people are in there every time. Why you no improve?!
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #53
Rod

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
what did you just say?
Did you ever notice last minute "leg" out to show that you want to get out of the track (something that you should have done with you arm way before you are actually exiting) and when there is an emergency such as a RED flag how people just casually exit the track without any sense of urgency?
CMRA#672
Old 05-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #54
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawazat?! View Post
I see even more riders that go to the classes and never learn anything... Seems like the same people are in there every time. Why you no improve?!
This me off to no end, especially when I was in L1. This is a "school", there are instructors that can teach you stuff, why do you not use them?? Why do you completely disregard the "rules" and can't stay anywhere near the line??? but you can go fast in a straight line
Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #55
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

All this is proof to me that the racing environment is much safer than trackdays. Skip taking your 600 or 1000 to the track when you haven't a clue. instead get a lightweight dedicated racebike and make a friday LSTD practice in street class to start.

Just watching those two short clips gave me chills about the boneheaded riding I just witnessed. Like the white leathers and blue wheel bike hitting the brakes in an acceleration zone after T2. Coulda been ugly.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #56
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Also, firm believer that there is nothing a rider can do wrong to make a bike go into a tankslapper.

A tankslapper is a harmonic vibration of the bike / suspension / tires that builds on itself until a change is made or the bike goes out of control. Rider input has nothing to do with it, up to the point the rider could drastically change throttle / brake / body position to attempt to control it. Not very likely they will be able to tho.

Steering dampers for the win. And proper tire pressures and sizes. And suspension set up by someone knowledgeable...not redone or anything, just properly set up by a suspension guy using factory available settings trackside.

Saying the rider did something only makes everyone nervous that their riding style will bring on a tankslapper. This is just not the case. It is a bike harmonics issue.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:39 AM   #57
Tiller

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Also, firm believer that there is nothing a rider can do wrong to make a bike go into a tankslapper.

A tankslapper is a harmonic vibration of the bike / suspension / tires that builds on itself until a change is made or the bike goes out of control. Rider input has nothing to do with it, up to the point the rider could drastically change throttle / brake / body position to attempt to control it. Not very likely they will be able to tho.

Steering dampers for the win. And proper tire pressures and sizes. And suspension set up by someone knowledgeable...not redone or anything, just properly set up by a suspension guy using factory available settings trackside.

Saying the rider did something only makes everyone nervous that their riding style will bring on a tankslapper. This is just not the case. It is a bike harmonics issue.
I disagree! Yes, a good damper is a must. Hanging on to the bars to stay on the bike causes it most of the time. I learned the hard way on wheelie hill, I put a damper on and learned to be light on the bars on one of the most well known tank slapping bikes out there. It hasn't been an issue anymore.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #58
NMEXPAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgsx-r View Post
That's me in the white Dainese suit and I didn't go off track that was another rider in another white suit. But if you have done trackdays before they preach about giving courtesy to the rider in front of you regardless if they are moving at your pace of slower. Its a track day not a race day.
In the video your lines and speed were a little off and a little unpredictable. Yeah technically you didn't leave the track in the esses, but it was close.

Courtesy? How about not cutting in front and taking someones line when coming down the straight and into turn 1 when were going 100mph+. Like you said it's not a race day. What was the point of that move? What about the 6 ft rule, you cut in between me and the dude on the green Kawi?

I think you were getting a little tired or distracted. It happens to all of us at one time or another.

Most importantly, nothing big happened, neither one of us fell. all water under the bridge now. I'm not mad and neither should you See you next time.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #59
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

next time he should just concentrate on what he is doing wrong in the corners instead of worrying about the guys around him and trying to keep up/pass on the straights.
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #60
JAXPOTD
X 610 mat rempit

Bike(s):
z1000

TANK SLAPPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
...believer that there is nothing a rider can do wrong to make a bike go into a tank slapper ...

A tankslapper is a harmonic vibration of the bike / suspension / tires that builds on itself until a change is made or the bike goes out of control. Rider input has nothing to do with it, up to the point the rider could drastically change throttle / brake / body position to attempt to control it ...

Saying the rider did something only makes everyone nervous This is just not the case. It is a bike harmonics issue ...
..... bump bump > ANXIETY >DEATH GRIP ON BARS > OVERCORRECTION = ... takes a hard ride to B KING ...MSF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0105.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	92673  

Advertisement