MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #21
Yorke

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

I'll echo Umayr, might have been too little trail on the setup, tends to make a bike head shake prone. or a combination of short wheel base with too little trail. I wonder if he had a steering damper, probably would have prevented that.

That was pretty nasty, how was the rider? I had the rear pre-load raised at MSRH round and my bike was head shaking like crazy on front straight, steering damper did it's job.
Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank Slapper Theory FKNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 03-02-2009 12:06 PM
tank slapper Javi Stunters Lounge 27 01-17-2008 04:45 PM
Is this a Tank Slapper? RinasDaddy General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 11-23-2007 11:46 AM
tank slapper? gixxer6 Stunters Lounge 11 02-27-2006 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #22
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

I passed by right when the rider was picking up his bike. He looked OK.
There was a bunch a nasty inside passing and riders in big bikes getting but hurt of being passed by minis...
Saturday was no different from Sunday.
As matter fact on my first session of the day Sunday, this guy passed me on the inside coming in to T7 and spooked me but I thought for a moment that he might knew what he was doing until I came up to him on T8 because he was hesitating and by T9 I was ready to pass him back when he washed out in front of me and my only option was to ride the grass to do not run him over...
All this because I had passed him a lap before...
the guy between T4 and T5 hurt his foot bad (Blair said was a highside and he showed us pics of flying parts) just WOW!
How about the guy on the wheelie hill? Did he went wide coming out of T3 and end up on the grass?
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #23
ConcordEagle

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
There was a bunch a nasty inside passing and riders in big bikes getting but hurt of being passed by minis...
As matter fact on my first session of the day Sunday, this guy passed me on the inside coming in to T7 and spooked me but I thought for a moment that he might knew what he was doing until I came up to him on T8 because he was hesitating and by T9 I was ready to pass him back when he washed out in front of me and my only option was to ride the grass to do not run him over...
the guy between T4 and T5 hurt his foot bad (Blair said was a highside and he showed us pics of flying parts) just WOW!
How about the guy on the wheelie hill? Did he went wide coming out of T3 and end up on the grass?
Check Blair's website Level 2- Set 5, scroll 2/3 of the way down for the crash sequence

http://hart-photography.com/photocar...79#page=thumbs
ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #24
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Sunday was an odd day indeed. What do track days and golf have in common? Never a good idea to step in someone's line..

cap0017 zps50sdfbb2

Uploading all my front/rear facing videos from level 2 to youtube, should be ready by this evening.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #25
NMEXPAT

Quote:
I was inside passed on Saturday, but they were very courteous and executed very well. I think they let a LVL3 rider into our session to ride / follow his lvl2 buddy. No problem for me.

I thought Saturday went pretty well. Glad I picked Saturday over sunday.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #26
NMEXPAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcordEagle View Post
Sunday was an odd day indeed. What do track days and golf have in common? Never a good idea to step in someone's line..

cap0017 zps50sdfbb2

Uploading all my front/rear facing videos from level 2 to youtube, should be ready by this evening.
That screen shot beats my video.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #27
NMEXPAT

Since I'm bored here is the only other interesting thing I got on video from Saturday.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...b3TWVR-960.mp4

In the end not a big deal, but just witnessing this guy run off, then get in front of me abruptly going into turn 1 and then parking it into turn 3, had me nervous and a little annoyed... That's learning for me and him.

the joys of track days, still better than working.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #28
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Since I'm bored here is the only other interesting thing I got on video from Saturday.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...b3TWVR-960.mp4

In the end not a big deal, but just witnessing this guy run off, then get in front of me abruptly going into turn 1 and then parking it into turn 3, had me nervous and a little annoyed... That's learning for me and him.

the joys of track days, still better than working.
Classic, but for the ultimate on-track douchebaggery check this out:

Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #29
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
I was inside passed on Saturday, but they were very courteous and executed very well. I think they let a LVL3 rider into our session to ride / follow his lvl2 buddy. No problem for me.

I thought Saturday went pretty well. Glad I picked Saturday over sunday.
I know the Racer with the new R1 "Scott" and he passed me on the inside of T5 "like a race move" and I had to talk to him about it. He said since he knew me he thought it was ok It spooked big time
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #30
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

A whoolie would've fixed that.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #31
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Putting my serious hat on for a second:

Are you talking about my pace / corner entry speed after the crash? If so, then you are correct, I'm going way too slow. Just saw a dude eat asphalt and there's a waving checkered flag.

Taking serious hat off.

My goal for 2017 is to set a new lap record at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Nope, just a general observation. Just giving you some feedback and advice. Take it or leave. I may or may not know what I'm talking about or have taught other riders of your level a thing or two.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #32
NMEXPAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Nope, just a general observation. Just giving you some feedback and advice. Take it or leave. I may or may not know what I'm talking about or have taught other riders of your level a thing or two.
Thanks.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #33
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Classic, but for the ultimate on-track douchebaggery check this out:

Worst Motorcyclist Ever - YouTube
what level is that?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #34
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

What was that? Never, has something that bad on the straight (even when I rode a faster bike). Glad you're OK after that crash.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #35
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Here are Sunday level 2 sessions (2,3,4) rear and front. I was running middle of the pack (passed, got passed).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Vo-ozinxlnlFjB
Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #36
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
Thanks.
I'm no expert but I thought your lines were spot on, hit every apex and got on the throttle early for a good drive out. That is not level 1 riding.. What lap times were you running?
Old 05-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #37
NMEXPAT

Quote:
I'm no expert but I thought your lines were spot on, hit every apex and got on the throttle early for a good drive out. That is not level 1 riding.. What lap times were you running?
Thanks for the feedback. My lines are decent, with the exception of turn 1 & 2. I'll never get that turn combination correct. Doesn't matter anyways, after this summer as there will not be a TWS (Texas World Speedway) any more.

I thought I was a decent LVL2 rider. Maybe that's one's ego masking one's own ability. I don't know. I only got passed three or four times total on the four videos I took during the day. One of the guys that made the pass stick and started walking away, ended up eating asphalt. Most importantly I made it home safely to my wife and kid. I love the track and speed, but my perspective and desire sure has changed. I'll never be a Rossi or a Ty Howard or a Brandt Dillon and I'm fine with that.

I don't have a lap timer so I don't know my lap times. I haven't checked my lap times on the video time stamps either. Before kids, I know I used to be able to do 2:00min lap on my old 1994 YZF 750.

I'm out just having fun and de-stressing from work.

Again thanks for the feedback. See ya'll on the track in the fall. It's too hot for my fat to do track days in the summer.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #38
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
I know the Racer with the new R1 "Scott" and he passed me on the inside of T5 "like a race move" and I had to talk to him about it. He said since he knew me he thought it was ok It spooked big time
If you're in level 2 and have a big bike, try an LSTD track day on a Friday in the B group, you'll get passed on the inside all day long by the minis and 300s, very skilled riders/racers but not allowed in expert level due to closing speeds.

Scary at first but then you get used to it and I can't speak for others but it's made me a much better rider.

The video below shows what I'm talking about, I got passed on the inside and outside, simultaneously, by a couple of 250s. Awesome.

Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #39
ConcordEagle

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. My lines are decent, with the exception of turn 1 & 2. I'll never get that turn combination correct. Doesn't matter anyways, after this summer as there will not be a TWS (Texas World Speedway) any more.

I thought I was a decent LVL2 rider. Maybe that's one's ego masking one's own ability. I don't know. I only got passed three or four times total on the four videos I took during the day. One of the guys that made the pass stick and started walking away, ended up eating asphalt. Most importantly I made it home safely to my wife and kid. I love the track and speed, but my perspective and desire sure has changed. I'll never be a Rossi or a Ty Howard or a Brandt Dillon and I'm fine with that.

I don't have a lap timer so I don't know my lap times. I haven't checked my lap times on the video time stamps either. Before kids, I know I used to be able to do 2:00min lap on my old 1994 YZF 750.

I'm out just having fun and de-stressing from work.

Again thanks for the feedback. See ya'll on the track in the fall. It's too hot for my fat to do track days in the summer.
2min lap @TWS (Texas World Speedway) is well inside ridesmart level 3 limits! If memory servers 2:10 is the ceiling, right?

Amen on doing this for fun and going home in one piece..
Old 05-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #40
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

Quote:
That's level 3 times. 2:00 is pretty good at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

Another + for Friday trackays with LSTD. I've done few of those, and always seem to learn alot going with faster riders.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement