Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
Auguste

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
14 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
08 Vespa GTS 250ie
02 Ducati 998

Question Flooded roads? Going to Navasota/Yankee's Tavern via 290/FM 362/3090

I plan to ride from I-10 West & Echo Lane to Yankee's Tavern tomorrow or Saturday since the weather is clear. I'll take Hwy 290, FM 362, and FM 3090 to get to Yankee's Tavern. From there, I'll head home through Shiro, Richards, Montgomery, and then I-45 South.

This will be my first time on these roads, and I'm uncertain how prone to flooding they, and whether or not they're safe to ride this weekend.

Here's the route I plan to ride:
https://goo.gl/maps/fhzrnCwm7Ry
Auguste is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
today on fm 362 B.T.R. General Discussion (Moto Related) 62 03-07-2013 08:04 PM
N Yankee's Tavern 7/18/12 Lowz Events, Meets and Rides 0 07-17-2012 09:14 PM
W Sunday Morning Ride to Navasota via RR to 362..11/27/2011 NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 81 11-28-2011 10:43 AM
Motorcycle Wreck on FM 362 Soldaten General Discussion (Moto Related) 70 08-10-2011 01:23 PM
FM 362 warning tarosean General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 10-11-2008 12:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #2
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

I am also curious about the road condition. Care for a riding partner? I am familiar with the roads and don't mind leading, but I don't have any clue if they're flooded or not.

Also, not sure if this is intentional, but the map looks like you are not riding 362 from I-10 to 290, which is definitely what I'd do if I were you. And I'd also double back down 3090 after lunch, take hwy 6 like a quarter mile to 90, then 90 to 1774 to 2819, and then north on 1486 will put you in Richards. Just my $.02.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:15 AM   #3
Auguste

Bike(s):
08 Vespa GTS 250ie
02 Ducati 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I am also curious about the road condition. Care for a riding partner? I am familiar with the roads and don't mind leading, but I don't have any clue if they're flooded or not.

Also, not sure if this is intentional, but the map looks like you are not riding 362 from I-10 to 290, which is definitely what I'd do if I were you. And I'd also double back down 3090 after lunch, take hwy 6 like a quarter mile to 90, then 90 to 1774 to 2819, and then north on 1486 will put you in Richards. Just my $.02.
Hi Repth! Unfortunately, after my accident and several close calls while riding with someone else or a group, I made a promise to my partner to only ride solo. Please don't construe my refusal for a riding partner personally. I just can't break that promise.

That was a mistake on Google Maps. It should reflect 362. I also like your suggestion so I'll do that instead, thank you. It's a better route with more twisties.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste View Post
Hi Repth! Unfortunately, after my accident and several close calls while riding with someone else or a group, I made a promise to my partner to only ride solo. Please don't construe my refusal for a riding partner personally. I just can't break that promise.

That was a mistake on Google Maps. It should reflect 362. I also like your suggestion so I'll do that instead, thank you. It's a better route with more twisties.
Seems... odd. But ok. I get not wanting to ride with squids, and it's not like we are acquainted, so for all you know I am a typical douchebag. No hard feelings.

Have fun and please report back your findings to us on the roads. I may be out that way tomorrow regardless.

PS: Watch out for the surprise traintracks in the middle of a 15mph right hard turn exiting Richards.

Last edited by Repth; 04-22-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #5
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Ha SQUID!

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #6
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Just a heads up, I don't know the current condition of 3090 but there's a low section just North of the intersection with 3455 that has flooded and been covered in mud before. Ask me how I know
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Just a heads up, I don't know the current condition of 3090 but there's a low section just North of the intersection with 3455 that has flooded and been covered in mud before. Ask me how I know
yuuuuup, that turns always makes me paranoid......and the furthest northern 15 mph turn. All that powder the farmers drag out off that dirt road.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
yuuuuup, that turns always makes me paranoid......and the furthest northern 15 mph turn. All that powder the farmers drag out off that dirt road.
"Squid falls" (corner name)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #9
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
"Squid falls" (corner name)
just before donut pass
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #10
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Rode 362 today...its dry and clean with no debris in the road

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
Auguste

Bike(s):
08 Vespa GTS 250ie
02 Ducati 998

I just returned home from this ride.

3090 was very fun and relatively hilly compared to Houston. I was glum when I first arrived because there was a road sign saying it was closed. A sweet lady told me to ignore the sign since she lived there. So glad I listened to her since this was a proper riding road. I must say its reputation as a dangerous and "killer" road as told by some riders at a petrol station wasn't warranted. It's nothing like the Cat & Fiddle Road from back home or the Col de Turini. That being said, there's a sharp bend where the sign says 15 mph at the intersection of 3090/186. A few skidmarks shows some didn't heed that limit. The signs showing '6 riders killed since 2007' was unnerving as well, although I wonder if that number is up to date.

And thanks again Repth for the Richards-railroad warning. Almost gunned the throttle before I remembered your advice.

It's easy to forget how vast Greater Houston the outer areas are. Took me an hour to get here from Conroe. It also didn't help that a group of aggressive drivers were on 105 and I-45 South. They were all going between 85-95 mph and changing lanes chaotically. Another thing I've noticed is how few adventure, naked, and sportbikes there are on these roads. It's all Harleys, and half of them don't wave/nod back.

1dBi9js?2

Last edited by Auguste; 04-23-2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Image resize
Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I just returned home from this ride.

3090 was very fun and relatively hilly compared to Houston. I was glum when I first arrived because there was a road sign saying it was closed. A sweet lady told me to ignore the sign since she lived there. So glad I listened to her since this was a proper riding road. I must say its reputation as a dangerous and "killer" road as told by some riders at a petrol station wasn't warranted. It's nothing like the Cat & Fiddle Road from back home or the Col de Turini. That being said, there's a sharp bend where the sign says 15 mph at the intersection of 3090/186. A few skidmarks shows some didn't heed that limit. The signs showing '6 riders killed since 2007' was unnerving as well, although I wonder if that number is up to date.

And thanks again Repth for the Richards-railroad warning. Almost gunned the throttle before I remembered your advice.

It's easy to forget how vast Greater Houston the outer areas are. Took me an hour to get here from Conroe. It also didn't help that a group of aggressive drivers were on 105 and I-45 South. They were all going between 85-95 mph and changing lanes chaotically. Another thing I've noticed is how few adventure, naked, and sportbikes there are on these roads. It's all Harleys, and half of them don't wave/nod back.

1dBi9js?2
Something about those tracks is sneaky. I know they're there and still want to make the mistake anyway.

The reputation of 3090 as a rider killer is probably due to the fact that it's one of the few "proper" riding roads in the greater Houston area. That and several of the turns look similar to previous ones but are actually totally different, so it can give less experience riders the feeling that they know what to expect and they push the envelope... Then go over squid falls. I am glad to hear that it's still in good rideable condition.

FWIW, The typical route to Fayetteville including cat spring road and 1291 is all still in good condition, also. That would be an excellent next stop if you haven't been.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:35 AM   #13
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I must say its reputation as a dangerous and "killer" road as told by some riders at a petrol station wasn't warranted.
I personally know of one experienced rider who was killed on 3090 and one that was paralyzed, not to mention quite a few crashes I've witnessed.

Solo riders tend to be more cautious than those trying to keep up with another. That being said, it's still one of my favorites in the area.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

FWIW, the barrier on 3090 was knocked down yesterday. No real way to stand it back up. I didn't see it until I crested the hill and I was already bookin it so I had a pretty big pucker moment as my rear end started hopping trying to get the bike slowed down enough to swerve around it. There's a good deal of sand in the first dozen or so turns. It's totally passable but not anything you'd wanna haul on. After that it was nice and clean.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

I must have totally missed the barrriers..lol.
All roads were clear for the most part.. I just usually take it easy on the streets.
Liked this post:
Old 04-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #16
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Oh here I see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-04-25-12-49-36-2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	92214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-04-25-12-47-02-1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	92215  
Old 04-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #17
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Those are on the back end before the bridge to get to yankees. I think repth is describing the one at the beginning closer to hwy 6
Old 04-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #18
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Those are on the back end before the bridge to get to yankees. I think repth is describing the one at the beginning closer to hwy 6
Yes, just after you'd turn right onto 3090 from 3455 if you're heading north. If you were coming from hwy 6 and already on 3090, you wouldn't have seen the barrier laying down in the road until you crested the slight hill just before 3455.

Advertisement