MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #81
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post

alot of my friends think I am nuts for what I do on the track gear or no gear. See what I am saying?

Helmets should be a choice not a dang law.
Is there anyone here thinks Gixxerbill is nuts? We no longer think you are nuts, we KNOW.:notworthy

Helmet laws is like seatbelt laws, it's there to save lives. AND, to make money.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12-14-11 "WHAK" MEET WED NIGHT BRICKHOUSE 1960/59 mkgsxr Events, Meets and Rides 55 03-14-2012 07:44 PM
"dirtbike" riders running from the cops ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 06-13-2010 11:22 PM
Cops: I-Phone app that warns you about traffic cameras and speed traps is "cowardly". Racer997 General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 07-18-2009 02:21 AM
The "cops words" stright out of there mouths about sport bikes Lee General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 12-25-2006 01:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #82
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Is there anyone here thinks Gixxerbill is nuts? We no longer think you are nuts, we KNOW.:notworthy

Helmet laws is like seatbelt laws, it's there to save lives. AND, to make money.
but it should still be you choice
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #83
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #84
gixxerbill

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

[QUOTE=level5;681384]Is there anyone here thinks Gixxerbill is nuts? We no longer think you are nuts, we KNOW.:notworthy

/QUOTE]

LOL, I am trying to convice my shrink otherwise because straight jackets suck because you can't scratch your . . :laughing6
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #85
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
did you know that a cop can pull you over JUST because you had no lid, and to check that you meet the qualifications.
Actually, he can pull you over even if you are wearing a lid just to inspect it.

TRC 661.004.

AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO INSPECT PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR.

Any peace officer may stop and detain a person who is a motorcycle operator or passenger to inspect the person's protective headgear for compliance with the safety standards prescribed by the department.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #86
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
Sorry but if you get into a wreck, and say you didn't wear a helmet and you got killed. Say in the same senario you could have been wearing a helmet and it could have saved your life. What should I feel for you. There are a lot of low speed crashes that people could have survived if they would have had a helmet. But in this case you are right I could care less, you didn't care to wear something as simple as a helmet.

As for your example, if you do everything to protect yourself and you still end up dead, I will feel remorse. Just cause you did take the precautions, and wore a helmet.

The reason why insurance rates are so dam high, is cause people dont really calculate the actual risk of what they do, and end up dead as a result. Sure it is dangerous to ride a bike, and sure you can end up dead. But if you don't wear proper gear and dont take precautions when you can and will go down. I have no remorse for you, I don't and choose not to ride with people that dont wear gear. I will not be the one that picks up the pieces cause you didn't take that one extra step to protect yourself from the inevitable crash that we all will have at some time.

PS I am not advocating wearing a helmet or not, if you choose not that is your choice, but I will not feel sorry for you when your dead, since you very well might be alive if you had it on
Ok, you won't feel remorse for me if I die because I not wearing a helmet(for some reason I don't think I will care about that if that happens ) Do you think there should be a law that you have to wear one? Hmmm?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #87
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
I am not an advocate either way for or against a helmet, we all have choices in life to make. The choice of wearing a lid and not wearing a lid, can be the choice of living and death.

J
Well, that's cool. I am glad you are not pushing for another law. Like I said I wear one alot more than I use to because I have had some get offs and my helmet did help. Just sometimes I don't want to. I have been riding for 25 years and thank the Lord I have only went down twice(bad road conditions that is the reason I wear a lid any time I think it is going to rain) on the street(three times on the track) both times with no gear and no injuries.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #88
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Quote:
Sorry but if you get into a wreck, and say you didn't wear a helmet and you got killed. Say in the same senario you could have been wearing a helmet and it could have saved your life. What should I feel for you. There are a lot of low speed crashes that people could have survived if they would have had a helmet. But in this case you are right I could care less, you didn't care to wear something as simple as a helmet.

As for your example, if you do everything to protect yourself and you still end up dead, I will feel remorse. Just cause you did take the precautions, and wore a helmet.

The reason why insurance rates are so dam high, is cause people dont really calculate the actual risk of what they do, and end up dead as a result. Sure it is dangerous to ride a bike, and sure you can end up dead. But if you don't wear proper gear and dont take precautions when you can and will go down. I have no remorse for you, I don't and choose not to ride with people that dont wear gear. I will not be the one that picks up the pieces cause you didn't take that one extra step to protect yourself from the inevitable crash that we all will have at some time.

PS I am not advocating wearing a helmet or not, if you choose not that is your choice, but I will not feel sorry for you when your dead, since you very well might be alive if you had it on
While I agree with most of what you have said, I don't really believe the highlighted sentence to be true. I would bet the the average hospital bill and related costs would be higher for someone who substained a head injury and survived because of a helmet vs someone substaining a head injury without a helmet and probably dying.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #89
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

I concur

i think that it should be a choice then again if I am the lifeflight helicopter who get a call to pick up a wreck victim on a bike no helmet or an infant that was injured in a car seat in a crash involving a tractor trailer i would think that on the bike should have worn a helmet, and as a tax payer I don't want emergency crew responding to preventable injury accedence I don't care if your mountain climbing Base jumping or jet skiing on a lake its your choice but sometimes your choice affects others people when a helicopter land on a freeway the shut that freeway down this inconveniences a bunch of people it also cost a bunch of money

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/wha....ap/index.html this guy is stupid he tied up emergency crews

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17946049/ this guy was stupid to This guy cost his city thousands in time it took to rescue him. I would have hit the bird with a tranquilizer gun and caught it when it fell. Or I would have thrown rocks at it.Hopefully, this idiot has the birds wings clipped after this. You know this guy was not charged for the cost of the Helicopter ride because he was trying to rescue something. Anyway i got off topic I think we all have choices sometimes we just put ourselves in precarious places because of our own personal freedom of choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I don't want to turn this into a helmet or not thread but I think it is the choice of the rider. I don't wear a helmet sometime because I just don't want to. I do wear helmets if I am pushing it curvy roads, stunting or lots of traffic around. But out in the country or an open interstate sometimes I just don't want to wear it. It feels better not wearing it.

I mean sometimes I think people think helmets are a guaranteed policy against injury or death. They are not. They just help. Motorcyle riding has inherent risk period. If you were worried about being safe, you shouldn't ride because it is dangerous hobby period. But to say you wouldn't care if someone died if they weren't wearing a lid is just plain wrong. It is still a lost of life and you should care.

What if someone died at the track wearing full gear would you not care either, I mean they are going around corners at a 100mph, at full lean draging their knee. Do you think they are fools too? No, alot of my friends think I am nuts for what I do on the track gear or no gear. See what I am saying?

Helmets should be a choice not a dang law.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #90
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

"Tell all of your buddies to stay off of 1960".

^ This is Illegal too.

And my helmet has DOT stamped on the back. No need to pull over and inspect.

Last edited by MadseasoN; 07-26-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Felt like it. hehehe
Old 07-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #91
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post

^ This is Illegal too.
Why is that illegal. He didn't say "or they'll get tickets." Therefore not a threat.

Maybe its "implied," but good luck with proving that.

where is mckee?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #92
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

I was just speaking of the finical aspect and averages. I would imaging that you can get cremated for just a few hundred dollars instead of doing the whole funeral thing. And you are right, the truth of the matter is that we will never know if someone could have survived either way, helmet or not.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #93
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

^ This is Illegal too.

And my helmet has DOT stamped on the back. No need to pull over and inspect.
well he can't read the small print, so he can pull you over. unless you have DOT in like 6" letters across the back of your helmet. i know mine is DOT/SNALL painted in lil white letters across the back of the lid. but any more then 2-3ft and you can't read it.

had a kid in class who had a nice shoei, DOT approved, didn't like the sticker so he took it off, was actin a jackass, and got a ticket for a non DOT lid. cops don't know which lids are what.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #94
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Get your act together and you won't be getting lame tickets.

... or you can come to the track and learn how to actually ride those silly looking bikes.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 AM   #95
MadseasoN

Quote:
well he can't read the small print, so he can pull you over. unless you have DOT in like 6" letters across the back of your helmet. i know mine is DOT/SNALL painted in lil white letters across the back of the lid. but any more then 2-3ft and you can't read it.

had a kid in class who had a nice shoei, DOT approved, didn't like the sticker so he took it off, was actin a jackass, and got a ticket for a non DOT lid. cops don't know which lids are what.
I knew that you'd come up with a response like that.

You can see it clearly from the rear. No need to 'inspect'. I hope to get pulled over for some stupid reason like that.

Reminds me of the time I got pulled over for no license plate light (which I had). I pointed out the light (to the officer) and quoted 547.302 which says I don't need a license plate light during the day. Made him look like a fool in front of his partner.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #96
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Yes! 5+ pages more than 100 posts, thread topic diverted...

It's official.

MH Drama

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #97
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

You can see it clearly from the rear. No need to 'inspect'. I hope to get pulled over for some stupid reason like that.

so from how far can you read it?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #98
MadseasoN

Quote:
so from how far can you read it?
If an officer pulls you over to ensure that your helmet is DOT compliant ... then he sees the sticker on your helmet as he approaches then legally the traffic stop is over. He's supposed to let you go at that point.

I couldn't find the law about the reflectors. Which one is it?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #99
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
If an officer pulls you over to ensure that your helmet is DOT compliant ... then he sees the sticker on your helmet as he approaches then legally the traffic stop is over. He's supposed to let you go at that point.

I couldn't find the law about the reflectors. Which one is it?
then he will just make something else up like they always do :eh:
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
Old 07-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #100
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
then he will just make something else up like they always do :eh:
I know, right?

It's was funny, when I pointed out the license plate light to the officer he said 'Well .... that's still not ...". He was at a loss of words.

He was a bike hater. Just wanted to harass me. That's why I'm laughing about it.
Closed Thread

Advertisement