MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Motorhead_v8

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2015 BMW F800R
1996 Suzuki GS500
2008 HD V-Rod
2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak

BMW F800R, Street Triple, FZ09 or FZ07.

I am currently looking at upgrading from my 2003 mean streak to a standard. The standard category of bike has developed such a large selection I honestly can't make up my mind. However I have narrowed the selection down down to 4 bikes the BMW F800R, Street Triple, FZ09 or FZ07. The F800R and street triple are at the top of the list. The F800R is just slightly pushing the others out due to the wife. She likes the look of the passenger seat. Everyday use will be day to day commuting down I-45 one to two yearly mid range road trips. I like the idea of doing a track day to improve my riding skills. I have ridden the FZ07 and ducati scrambler (ruled it out) and liked them both but not ridden the others. The FZ09 and FZ07 are the cheapest bikes but have the highest insurance cost.

If you bought one of these bikes I would like to hear why and what have you done with it?
Motorhead_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

FZ09 all day er day!

I passed up an FZ9 to buy a Speed Triple but I really liked it when I test rode it. If I go back to a standard bike it will be a FZ09.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

The 675 is a problem child. Oil leaks are just part of the Triumph charm. I'm having problems with second gear on mine and I know plenty of other people who have had gearbox related issues. I still like my Street Triple R, enough so that I doubt I'll ever sell it, but that being said I'm not sure I would buy it again knowing what I know now. It also leaves a little to be desired in terms of power, but I'm not sure other bikes in its class fare any better.

It is comfy, though. I don't think I'd buy it as a commuter due to reliability issues. The Yamaha may be better for you in that regard, but also maybe not.

Last edited by Repth; 04-10-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Motorhead_v8

Bike(s):
2015 BMW F800R
1996 Suzuki GS500
2008 HD V-Rod

Thanks for the response. I went ahead and got insurance quotes on three of the 4 bikes. If anyone is interested Here are the quotes I received. I still don't get why the FZ09 is the highest cost and one of the cheapest bikes. Gieco apparently does not want to insure it.

$ for one year premium and the quotes are based on my situation.
Bike Dairyland AllState Progressive Gieco
F800R 1090 574 572 441
Street Triple 1290 619 470 419
FZ09 1057 826 658 1615
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	91930  

Last edited by Motorhead_v8; 04-11-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (53)

Member Garage

Good friend of mine just bought a new FZ09 and rode it over to the house Saturday, awesome bike! The FZ07 is also nice but I would definitely opt for the 25% more torque the 09 delivers over the 07. Both are cheaper than your other two options as well.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
Darkmatter
FZOHN9NER

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
14' FZ09

Love the out of my 2014 FZ09. Although, it's having some mechanical issues I need to take it in for. Some clicking noises going on around the engine. Haven't noticed any loss of power, or driving issues, but the noises are present. There is apparently a very common problem with the CCT (which I believe I'm hearing that), but there is something else going on too I'm afraid.
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

FWIW - the FZ-07 is fun in a way that the 09 cant quite match in the "SV650-toysize, wow I can WFO in the nieghborhood and for some reason have the desire to stick my leg out there like a motard while attempting to slide the rear while doing a 180 through a 4-way stop"

.....and that was the first time I rode my buddies 07. Definitely not as sport-capable as the 09.. but easier to have your way with.

the 09 is fantastic and all around better- unless you're limited by city-infrastructure, body size, experience.. or just want that tiny easy hooligan feeling.

PS- the 07 is also a complete wheelie machine. The 09 will all day as well, but I was thoroughly shocked at the torque put down by the 07. Its no slouch

Wouldnt touch the brits or the beemer. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Last edited by ZX-Dominance; 04-11-2016 at 11:29 AM.
ZX-Dominance is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
POZZD
POZZD

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'14 CB1000R
'03 yz250x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
The 675 is a problem child. Oil leaks are just part of the Triumph charm. I'm having problems with second gear on mine and I know plenty of other people who have had gearbox related issues. I still like my Street Triple R, enough so that I doubt I'll ever sell it, but that being said I'm not sure I would buy it again knowing what I know now. It also leaves a little to be desired in terms of power, but I'm not sure other bikes in its class fare any better.

It is comfy, though. I don't think I'd buy it as a commuter due to reliability issues. The Yamaha may be better for you in that regard, but also maybe not.
Mine was a commuter for 2 years. It was too much of a headache after 45k. It would die at low RPMs in gear. Like I'd be rolling up to some traffic and downshift into first and it would die. Couldn't figure out what it was. Now I have the CB1kR, and I gotta say I miss my street. the suspension was top notch and it just felt more complete. I think if I upgrade the suspension on this bike I'll be happy.
POZZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by POZZD View Post
Mine was a commuter for 2 years. It was too much of a headache after 45k. It would die at low RPMs in gear. Like I'd be rolling up to some traffic and downshift into first and it would die. Couldn't figure out what it was. Now I have the CB1kR, and I gotta say I miss my street. the suspension was top notch and it just felt more complete. I think if I upgrade the suspension on this bike I'll be happy.
I like the suspension on my ST3 R a lot. It feels quite at home on the track, even.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
Motorhead_v8

Bike(s):
2015 BMW F800R
1996 Suzuki GS500
2008 HD V-Rod

I like the FZ09 however I keep reading about how terrible the suspension is. I really do not want to buy a new bike and then spend 2 grand to sort out the suspension. I see this as a major failure on Yamaha engineering.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

The FJ 09 is another option. Better pillion seat if you plan on doing much 2 up riding.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
Love the out of my 2014 FZ09. Although, it's having some mechanical issues I need to take it in for. Some clicking noises going on around the engine. Haven't noticed any loss of power, or driving issues, but the noises are present. There is apparently a very common problem with the CCT (which I believe I'm hearing that), but there is something else going on too I'm afraid.
Google yamaha tick. If it sounds like it's going to blow up....... that's normal.

But you know your bike. Take it in and report back!
Old 04-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead_v8 View Post
I like the FZ09 however I keep reading about how terrible the suspension is. I really do not want to buy a new bike and then spend 2 grand to sort out the suspension. I see this as a major failure on Yamaha engineering.
Buy a brand new FZ09, spend $2k on suspension, still get out for less than a Street Triple R.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
Naked_Biker

Bike(s):
'15 Yamaha FJ-09
'12 Suzuki TU250X (Sold)

I cross shopped the cheaper naked standards last August, i.e. FZ-07, FZ-09, Ninja 650, and Scrambler. I ended up with a FJ-09. You may also want to check out the GSX-S750 or wait for the SV650. I test rode the 750 last month at a demo day. It had smooth power and shifts were crisp. The riding position is slightly more aggressive than the other nakeds. Not sure about BMW. The FJ has the best rear seat among these.
Naked_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead_v8 View Post
You could be resprung for far less than $2k.

However- if you DO spend $2k on suspension for an FZ-09, you will have a far better handling bike than anything you get OEM, steet triple R or the likes.

, with a penske and full front job you'll be running circles around SPEED triple R's. for far less skrilla

Again- I should add that there are few bikes that come from the factory set up for most riders, I never look at what a bike is at purchase, but what it CAN be within my budget restraints and the aftermarket potential... which is why after so many sexy bikes I married to a decked out fz1 that runs circles around supersports/naked/etc, while toting a 24-pack and giving me ol' back a rest.
ZX-Dominance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
editor4yourfil

Hey Motorhead_v8, I am also in a similar situation - looking at the same bikes as you are. A common advice seems to be is to go with the FZ09 -- it has a better engine, and the $2000 difference in price can be invested in an ECU upgrade to fix the snatchy throttle ($300) and a new shock ($1500+). Motorcycle.com has a two-part report on having done both.

I test-rode the FZ09, and apart from the super-moto style position, I liked it. However, I would personally go against the grain and lean more towards the F800R. Here are my reasons:

1). The FZ09 is purpose-built as a "have-fun" bike, but in my view, the BMW is more of an all-rounder. For your occasional mid or long-range journey, you can order your F800R with center-stand and hard luggage. There are many more touring updates available. The F800R is more "mature" and you will not grow out of it as quickly, even with its lesser power.

2). The F800R can be optioned with the more sophisticated electronics that BMW Motorrad is famous for: Electronic Suspension Adjustment (for rear shock), Automatic Stability Control (which works with the ABS and mutes engine output if needed), and RDC (tire pressure monitor). These can save your life, although it adds more than $1500 to the price I believe. I test rode the both the new R1200R and Ride Smart and I can tell you that the ESA makes a difference. You can set your ESA to accomodate for pillion, and pillion plus luggage. The F800R is the only bike in its class which offers these options, making it a more "premium" choice than the FZ09.

3). Styling and brand cachet. Many people prefer the FZ09's looks, and I did too two years ago, but now I have grown out of the Japanese look and prefer the teutonic "aggressivesim." I am not a fan of the exhaust, or the under-seat tank, which I feel takes away from the aesthetics of the F800R. Overall its looks, and its brand, is a refreshing change from the sea of Japanese motorcycles the flood the streets of Souther California (yes, I am not a Texan. I registered on this forum simply to respond to this thread).

Finally, the Beemer will get you a better resale value than the Yammie, off-setting the larger investment getting in.
editor4yourfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #17
Motorhead_v8

Bike(s):
2015 BMW F800R
1996 Suzuki GS500
2008 HD V-Rod

Thanks for all the reply's, F800R keeps coming up at the top of the list. It seem to be the better all-rounder. Good at everything but master of none. There are some used FZ09 I am going to go look at.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
Toe

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

What about a FJ-09? I'm going to look at one right now.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #19
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

You need a streetfighter
I know where one is
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #20
Toe

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
You need a streetfighter
I know where one is
I'm going more comfy not less.

Doing a test ride next week. Ergos seem to be really good for me being a taller rider, but we'll see if I still like it after the ride. I'm also going to do a ton of research before I pull the trigger.

Advertisement