MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #21
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
 
tiatool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,702

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100





__________________
sbmsafesig
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riding the bike home in 104 heat with a fever and the flu in heavy traffic ... eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 07-27-2011 01:04 PM
Riding in Traffic Drumboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 04-05-2006 08:21 PM
15 Riding-in-Traffic Tips Yokee Safety Corner Main 2 09-13-2005 02:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,628

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Witnessed someone in FULL black leathers, with BRAWP stitched across the flying down the left shoulder of 610 south (Galleria) this morning while traffic was moving around 25 mph. Keep up the good work....is it bad that I hoped you picked up a nail? Who's the ?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,880

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Witnessed someone in FULL black leathers, with BRAWP stitched across the flying down the left shoulder of 610 south (Galleria) this morning while traffic was moving around 25 mph. Keep up the good work....is it bad that I hoped you picked up a nail? Who's the ?
What bike?
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #24
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,628

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
black/red tail? maybe a gsxr by the end.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #25
JayRSXS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 291












Word
JayRSXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #26
Adamrides
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 218












Quote:
Originally Posted by xpider2 View Post
Hey guys, I am a new rider (less than 2000 miles). I recently started commuting on my bike, and I constantly see other riders riding on the shoulders during peak traffic hours (610, 8,) but I am personally afraid of getting a ticket. I just wanted to know where most riders stand on this topic; shoulder, or law abiding citizen?

Thanks guys!
Don't ride the shoulder, lane split when you get more miles under your belt like others have said. It's not legal but it's also not illegal, if traffic is crawling (under 20mph) then I do it. I've been stopped a few times with no tickets. It's a gray area in the law so as long as you do it safely. People will try to block you so just pay attention and try to anticipate when people will switch lanes quickly and with no signal. Honestly it's not worth it if you can stand the heat.
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #27
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dickinson
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 15,916

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50









I've had way too many flat tires in a vehicle from just pulling over onto the shoulder that I'd NEVER actually ride any sort of distance on the bike on the shoulder. a car tire is a $5 plug to fix the flat. On the bike, it's a new tire at $150 each. If you have the money for that, then go ahead. I'd prefer lane splitting but RARELY did that. I just chose to avoid the traffic times. If you have to ride in traffic, plan ahead and leave a little earlier so you don't have to lane split. Lane splitting just adds more risk to an already risky commute. I'll maintain my position behind a car but I'll tend to stay towards the edge of the lane so if i get hit from behind, i don't get squished between cars. That way i still get some of the benefits of the lane splitting argument but without the added risk of actually splitting lanes
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Its the stupidity. It gets added to our forum in normal and controlled doses which actually serves to the benefit of the website.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #28
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,611

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
I've had way too many flat tires in a vehicle from just pulling over onto the shoulder that I'd NEVER actually ride any sort of distance on the bike on the shoulder. a car tire is a $5 plug to fix the flat. On the bike, it's a new tire at $150 each. If you have the money for that, then go ahead. I'd prefer lane splitting but RARELY did that. I just chose to avoid the traffic times. If you have to ride in traffic, plan ahead and leave a little earlier so you don't have to lane split. Lane splitting just adds more risk to an already risky commute. I'll maintain my position behind a car but I'll tend to stay towards the edge of the lane so if i get hit from behind, i don't get squished between cars. That way i still get some of the benefits of the lane splitting argument but without the added risk of actually splitting lanes
It's not risky to split lanes at low speed in dense traffic. It's safer.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #29
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,628

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
It's not risky to split lanes at low speed in dense traffic. It's safer.
I've never understood how people think it's more dangerous. It's the doing it at speed (or when traffic is actually flowing) that give lane splitters a bad name. In dense (i.e. dead stop or stop n go) traffic, the only worry you really have is some opening a door. I mean, hey, if it's worth me taking out your door go right ahead. When it's dead stopped, I'm doing what...5-10mph? I can stop on a dime at 10 mph and crashing at 10 mph ain't all that bad. If I can't stop in time, I have insurance and now your "issue" with splitting has really become a much bigger inconvenience. I just wave and press forward when I come across the .
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #30
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dickinson
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 15,916

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50









Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
It's not risky to split lanes at low speed in dense traffic. It's safer.
risk is all relative. Is it more risky to pass within inches of a car at 10 or 15 mph than to be stopped with them? Assuming you are keeping an eye on the car behind you I don't think it is. How many stops you make where they could hit you versus how many cars you pass at that speed determines the exposure. the exposure goes up more with a less skilled rider splitting lanes because they will have more close calls and less experience for evasive maneuvers but the risk is still there. the severity of the hazard i'd consider about the same if not less hazard being hit from behind at 10mph than head on with a door at 10mph. hit from behind you'll decelerate and roll of the back of the bike, 10mph head on and you come to an almost instant stop with a narrow object.

IDK... maybe it's just the Safety Engineer in me over-thinking this, after all, that is what i do for a living.

In the end, i think it's close enough to consider them even since the probablilities are so low on both that it's really negligible... but riding on the should as OP stated definately ads more risk because of the unknown items on the shoulder that should not be there but we all know are there on Houston roads
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Its the stupidity. It gets added to our forum in normal and controlled doses which actually serves to the benefit of the website.

Last edited by sbfuller; 06-30-2016 at 11:28 AM.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #31
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,611

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
risk is all relative. Is it more risky to pass within inches of a car at 10 or 15 mph than to be stopped with them? Assuming you are keeping an eye on the car behind you I don't think it is. How many stops you make where they could hit you versus how many cars you pass at that speed determines the exposure. the exposure goes up more with a less skilled rider splitting lanes because they will have more close calls and less experience for evasive maneuvers but the risk is still there. the severity of the hazard i'd consider about the same if not less hazard being hit from behind at 10mph than head on with a door at 10mph. hit from behind you'll decelerate and roll of the back of the bike, 10mph head on and you come to an almost instant stop with a narrow object.

IDK... maybe it's just the Safety Engineer in me over-thinking this, after all, that is what i do for a living.

In the end, i think it's close enough to consider them even since the probablilities are so low on both that it's really negligible... but riding on the should as OP stated definately ads more risk because of the unknown items on the shoulder that should not be there but we all know are there on Houston roads
It sounds like we are very close to agreement here. I feel it is close enough that it comes down to a personal decision. I also understand that currently, my decision is in opposition to the historical interpretation of the Texas traffic code, and I accept any consequences this may bring.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #32
FastLife1K
Howdy
 
FastLife1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Caney, Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 666

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 DR-650
'07 gsx-r 1000 (Sold)
2008 Ninja 250 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR (sold)
'09 GSXR 600 (Sold)

Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to FastLife1K Send a message via Yahoo to FastLife1K
When in a traffic jam (traffic moving less than 10mph) I seem to notice more people whip out their cell phone and start facebooking or whatever...thats when I like to split.
__________________
-Mike Z.

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
FastLife1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #33
Crossfits
Crossfits
 
Crossfits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLife1K View Post
When in a traffic jam (traffic moving less than 10mph) I seem to notice more people whip out their cell phone and start facebooking or whatever...thats when I like to split.
Exactly!

I'd avoid the shoulder and stick to lane splitter after you gain a few more miles under the belt, as other have mentioned.
__________________
Dirt is for riding, the street merely gets you there.
Crossfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #34
pbfoot
Senior Member
 
pbfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Webster
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 657

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I've never understood how people think it's more dangerous. It's the doing it at speed (or when traffic is actually flowing) that give lane splitters a bad name. In dense (i.e. dead stop or stop n go) traffic, the only worry you really have is some opening a door. I mean, hey, if it's worth me taking out your door go right ahead. When it's dead stopped, I'm doing what...5-10mph? I can stop on a dime at 10 mph and crashing at 10 mph ain't all that bad. If I can't stop in time, I have insurance and now your "issue" with splitting has really become a much bigger inconvenience. I just wave and press forward when I come across the .
I am not lane splitting, I am slaloming.
__________________
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over?
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:50 PM   #35
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,611

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
I am not lane splitting, I am slaloming.
Most people call them cars. Some call them cages. I prefer the term "rolling chicanes".
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #36
SwitchTX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 148

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2013 Honda CBR500R









i take 610 every morning from the north through the galleria. I only split when trafiic is at a stand still and i only go about 10-15. In the several months since i moved to the heights i had had people cut me off, not use signals, and flat out swerve in and out of lanes not paying attention on the road.

while splitting everything increases 10X. I have had people even open up their door on me in traffic...to which i just laugh. but still, not for the faint of heart.

i still do it yes. but you have to keep your head on a swivel. i look at front tires fro the them start to turn into the lane next to me, look in side mirrors for people doing the erroneous side check but not shoulder check, and sudden braking for people to swerve....
SwitchTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy