MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Daily Craig: Choke up

When I lived in Wyoming many years ago there was a quaint expression that went something like this. "I want my mother to visit me this summer but I don't know what day it will be". Now we are saying stuff like that about Baseball's OPENING DAY.. It's been ruined by ESPN. Every long time fan knows the Reds get to start the season because that franchise is the oldest. Every long time fan has to get over that. I give MLB credit for keeping the fans wondering too. Remember a COUPLE OF years ago the season began in JAPAN? My relatives who fought in WWII would have stormed baseball headquarters.

3 GAMES kicked off the season last night including one played in 30 degree temperatures. That makes sense when you consider the ASTROS MMP is empty in 80 degree temps. Baseball's opening day is always special and throw in a threat of snow and you really have something. I have been lucky to go to many opening days. All of them in Houston. I won't be at Yankee Stadium tonight because I couldn't get a dog sled. The game was called off so sleds may be avaliable now.

In 1970 I didn't have an opening day ticket at WRIGLEY FIELD so I went to the 2nd game. Those were the really bad Cubs (that includes another 40 years) and 2nd day seats were easy to get. A buddy and I were sitting in the 6th row behind the Cubs dugout. NOT BAD for tickets we bought from a guy in a bar across the street from the BALLPARK. About the 4th inning or so Glenn Beckert of the Cubs was trying to move a runner over and he fouled a pitch that came right at me. It was about 35 degrees that day and i stuck up my hand to get the souvenir. The ball almost broke all my fingers while it bounced off my hand into the lap of a kid 3 rows behind us.

I like to think I saved that little kid's life. Although now he is old and probably is telling his friends he remembers the day he caught a liner with one hand while holding a 25 cent hot dog with the other. I gotta tape my Louisville Slugger.

Daily20Craig20NEW 1456256896561 2282314 ver10 1280 720

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement