MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #21
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WbDDoT View Post
There were a lot less riders. A bunch of people went home and on top of that I didnt even hear any announcement for the last session I just saw people getting on the track and I got with the program.
I should I have came out for that!

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorcycle lifeflight accident on 290 in HOV CCH General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 09-29-2011 09:18 AM
Lifeflight and insurance? Greasespot Taking it to the Track 33 11-29-2009 03:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #22
djs
biker geek

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

It was a level 3 rider that got life flighted.

The morning session #2 or #3 somebody in level 2 had an oil spill on turn 9. The life flight took a while and we were standing around at 4pm. They said if #2 and #1 get their last sessions, it would be only 10 minutes each if anything at all. At that point, a lot of us started packing up.
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #23
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125
1995 Suzuki GS600 Katana (Sold)
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
It was a level 3 rider that got life flighted.

The morning session #2 or #3 somebody in level 2 had an oil spill on turn 9. The life flight took a while and we were standing around at 4pm. They said if #2 and #1 get their last sessions, it would be only 10 minutes each if anything at all. At that point, a lot of us started packing up.
It was a level 3 guy who went down and busted his engine case causing the oil spill. Level 2 had to wait for them to clean it up before our session started. They warned us of water on the track from the clean up, but one guy still went down in that very water spot. He broke his wrist.
WbDDoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #24
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Yup exactly!
Schooley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #25
Boxerboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Better safe than sorry, I guess

sucks that the decision is either risk death or $30k helicopter ride
Well the ride is only about $16,500.

If the EMT's think that your injuries need a trauma level of attention they are sending you to Memorial Hermann versus Angleton's facilities since that is where Angleton is going to send you - via air - and plus the Adam 11 guys don't like to drive to, or in, Houston... so your taking the flight.

A broken femur is big time so they made the right choice yesterday. In my case they were worried that I had a severed femoral artery and they made the right choice then as well. I support these people as they are doing what they think is best for the injured individual, if taking a insurance company covered ride is part of covering their I'm in favor of that too.

Most (maybe all) health insurance covers emergency transportation, including air ambulance service....you just have to argue a bit to get the bill paid. As long as you have insurance you should be covered.

We should all be grateful for the assistance all first responders provide us, especially when we are ripping the track.

I hope this guy has as good as a recovery as I did!
Boxerboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #26
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Very well said! Hindsight is always 20/20, in the end the wrong decision by the EMTs could have gotten you both killed and from what I hear it sounds like you both are!
Schooley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #27
Jyn
Resident Hooligan

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
DRZ400 supermoto (sold)
06 600RR (boom)
2015 Yamaha R1 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
EMT's trying to rid themselves of liability by calling Life Flight. Seems to be a regular occurrence at MSRH.

Thank for Obamacare. Everyone is supposed to have insurance...

now now Brandt.

I'm not familiar with the Houston area, but Hermann shows to be 33 miles from MSRH. That's a long ride in an ambulance. If it seems bad enough, it's better to have called for a helo than to have not. It can easily take 10 minutes to get someone packaged (semi stabalized, out of their gear, and on a backboard), and by the time that 10 minutes is up, a helicopter could have been there.

I work rural EMS and have utilized a chopper multiple times, as well as cancel them. If it takes me 20 minutes to get somewhere, I'm not going to wait until I'm there to call for one if dispatch paints an ugly picture.

I have no idea who works at MSRH, but I would agree that I typically wouldn't call for one unless I make contact with the patient first. It shouldn't take them but a couple of minutes at most to access the patient. If they have contracted a service that typically does transfers (hospital to hospital) instead of a 911 service, then those calls may be based on inexperience.

Last edited by Jyn; 04-04-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #28
dylan
lolwut

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
HD Iron
Yamaha R6

I was lifeflighted at MSRH last year from a shattered humerus. They lifeflighted me because I complained of back problems. I fought it at first saying, "nah its alright just take me via ambulance" but then they said regardless, I'd have to go to Angleton, wait like 8 hours and then go to Memorial.

it, insurance came out to 100 dollars for a heli ride that i was too doped up to remember
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #29
Tiller

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Are you ever going to ride again? I thought you were having fun instructing?
Trying to take some vacation soon to work on my chit, work is killing me.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #30
paulie12

Bike(s):
2003 SV650S
2006 CRF 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
I was lifeflighted at MSRH last year from a shattered humerus. They lifeflighted me because I complained of back problems. I fought it at first saying, "nah its alright just take me via ambulance" but then they said regardless, I'd have to go to Angleton, wait like 8 hours and then go to Memorial.

it, insurance came out to 100 dollars for a heli ride that i was too doped up to remember
Was that from regular health insurance or did you have track specific insurance that covered the lifeflight?
paulie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #31
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie12 View Post
Was that from regular health insurance or did you have track specific insurance that covered the lifeflight?
no ....
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #32
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
no ....
right. The 5 or 10 mile ride via ambulance to Angleton ran me almost $3,200 w/coverage. Luckily I got one of the two box rides to drastically reduce my out of pocket expense by about 1/2 that.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #33
Boxerboy2

Mine is just a regular Blue Cross policy - check yours and see if it says it covers emergency transportation.
Boxerboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #34
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerboy2 View Post
Mine is just a regular Blue Cross policy - check yours and see if it says it covers emergency transportation.
as was mine, but ambulance rides are generally "out of network" per the accounts receivable person at Angelton EMS. Hard to believe an airbus would be covered when ground boxes are not. I'll have to review the fine print in my policy.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #35
dylan
lolwut

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
HD Iron
Yamaha R6

I'm under federal bcbs, the two ambulances and heli ride were 100 each. I shat bricks when i saw the helicopter bill was something like 45k before the insurance
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #36
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

I wonder how all this will be impacted with the opening of Memorial Herman Pearland and the opening of Methodist Pearland later this year.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #37
castrolr1
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bike(s):
R1 followed me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
There was an unnecessary lifeflight last time at MSRH as well. The guy did a bigass write up about it
I took that ride a few years ago... never got a bill. it was also unnecessary. Yhey kept asking my name..I kept saying "I'm wolverine and i want to look out the window"
castrolr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement