Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #21
Morgstang

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
If I am riding at my own risk and I alone am responsible for my own actions, why would you be deciding what gear I have to wear?
Yes i would if you wanna ride on my ride...
Morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sat. 4/2 Ride Along...Buc-ees Waller... Morgstang Events, Meets and Rides 44 04-03-2016 09:24 PM
Sat 3/26 Ride...Buc-ees in Waller... Morgstang Events, Meets and Rides 67 03-29-2016 09:00 AM
We can finally ride!!!...Sat 12/19 Brenham....Sun 12/20 Waller... Morgstang Events, Meets and Rides 97 12-21-2015 04:05 PM
my first iphone app - buc-ees store locater smokinjoe Off Topic 30 11-10-2009 12:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #22
Cantex

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2007 ST1300
2007 VTX 1800C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Because if you don't own and aren't wearing proper gear, then it's incredibly likely that you're a stupid squid who is gonna everything up for everyone. At least in my eyes, it's more of a litmus test for people I don't know. If I have a friend who likes to ride in tennis shoes and jeans with no knee protection and a light mesh jacket, but I know he's not a squid, then fine. But if a random shows up for a ride like that, I'm sending him home. That's just me--I am not Morgstang
Devil's advocate:

So, if you're driving down the interstate, and look over at the guy in the lane beside you, and you notice he is not wearing his seatbelt, do you motion him to pull over and tell him he is not allowed to drive near you because he has no sense of safety?
Public roads. Rights. If I decide to follow your group to Yankee's, wearing flip-flops and a speedo, there is really nothing you can do about it. And if you impede my right to travel on public roads, then you would likely face legal repercussions.
Cantex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #23
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantex View Post
Devil's advocate:

So, if you're driving down the interstate, and look over at the guy in the lane beside you, and you notice he is not wearing his seatbelt, do you motion him to pull over and tell him he is not allowed to drive near you because he has no sense of safety?
Public roads. Rights. If I decide to follow your group to Yankee's, wearing flip-flops and a speedo, there is really nothing you can do about it. And if you impede my right to travel on public roads, then you would likely face legal repercussions.
Yeah, you could be a and follow us. Nobody can legally stop you from being an enormous douche.

The guy driving down the interstate without a seatbelt isn't exactly the same type of guy who is going to stuff me in a turn on 3090 because he's trying to keep up with me and riding over his head.
Liked this post:
Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #24
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
I loved the bit about guys routinely doing triple posted. I'd love to see someone hit a 45mph marked turn at 135mph entry speed, lol.
ive done more than Triple posted on 3090!

then they changed the sign!!!

its likely the 20mph twisties just before the last turn up to yankees they speak of.

However it was changed to 45mph last i went.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
Cantex

Bike(s):
2007 ST1300
2007 VTX 1800C

Quote:
Yeah, you could be a and follow us. Nobody can legally stop you from being an enormous douche.

The guy driving down the interstate without a seatbelt isn't exactly the same type of guy who is going to stuff me in a turn on 3090 because he's trying to keep up with me and riding over his head.
? Douche? Slow down there, cowboy. Just pointing out that you cannot dictate what I wear. See the "Devil's advocate" qualifier before the statement. By the way, I do wear gear.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #26
zrx24

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgstang View Post
Yes i would if you wanna ride on my ride...
Okey doke.

Will bikes be inspected?

I have been on group rides before where gear and bikes were inspected, and some riders actually interviewed.
zrx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #27
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
ive done more than Triple posted on 3090!

then they changed the sign!!!

its likely the 20mph twisties just before the last turn up to yankees they speak of.

However it was changed to 45mph last i went.
Sure, there are plenty of turns out there that are mismarked, but talking about going triple posted as just the regular rule... I don't think so.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #28
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
? Douche? Slow down there, cowboy. Just pointing out that you cannot dictate what I wear. See the "Devil's advocate" qualifier before the statement. By the way, I do wear gear.
I'm not calling you an or a douche. I'm saying that if you did follow us after being told that you're not welcome to ride with our group, you would be an and a douche.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #29
Morgstang

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Okey doke.

Will bikes be inspected?

I have been on group rides before where gear and bikes were inspected, and some riders actually interviewed.
Are you coming out to ride?...have never seen you out here...
The thread is a ride thread for Sun...if you would like to join us please post here...
Sorry if im trying to be safety conscious...
When you race at the track i think you are responsible for yourself correct?....will they let you wear whatever you want?...kinda bet not...
Morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #30
zrx24

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only

I generally don't give much thought to my corner speed as it relates to the posted recommended speed.

Well, I take that back. I do sometimes give thought to how big the ticket might be if I'm caught.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #31
Cantex

Bike(s):
2007 ST1300
2007 VTX 1800C

Quote:
I'm not calling you an or a douche. I'm saying that if you did follow us after being told that you're not welcome to ride with our group, you would be an and a douche.
No offense intended here either.

I'd be more inclined to worry about the guy who was lax on routine maintenance having a wheel bearing seize up, a chain snap, or brakes fail when riding in my general vicinity, than whether or not he is wearing armored pants. And some of those problems are not readily apparent when the guy rolls up.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #32
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
No offense intended here either.

I'd be more inclined to worry about the guy who was lax on routine maintenance having a wheel bearing seize up, a chain snap, or brakes fail when riding in my general vicinity, than whether or not he is wearing armored pants. And some of those problems are not readily apparent when the guy rolls up.
You are right, that is particularly worrisome. I find that the types of people who ignore routine maintenance are typically also the types of people who don't wear full gear, which is just another reason that I tend to avoid those types of people. It's far from an absolute truth, but just a trend I've picked up on...
Old 03-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #33
Morgstang

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

I guess i can change the requirements...just got to thinking about it...since im leading i wont see whats happening behind me so i guess im safe...ok ya'll can ride naked with bald tires and crash and kill yourself...please post here if your coming since this is a ride thread...
Old 03-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #34
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
If I am riding at my own risk and I alone am responsible for my own actions, why would you be deciding what gear I have to wear?

Because, as others have said - YOU WILL EVERYONE'S DAY UP IF YOU CRASH. Well, you greatly increase the likelihood of that.

Long story short- if you organize lead or participate in enough group rides, you'd realize how often people go down, and how much it up everyone else's day.

On our BVSR/TAMUMC rides, its helmet-jacket-gloves-jeans-overankles, minimum. Bikes are looked over too.

And if you show up without gear and want to follow us? Cool, but interfere with us at all and you will get stuffed/cut-off, buzzed, pushed and harassed on every corner and every straight by this self-righteous (but really fast) guy on an FZ1. It's happened before.

Anyways, Keith is just trying to continue his history of safe fun rides, if you can't extend a minimal courtesy to others, IMHO, F off. Go ride whoolies on 290
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:05 PM   #35
zrx24

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only

Quote:
Are you coming out to ride?...have never seen you out here...
The thread is a ride thread for Sun...if you would like to join us please post here...
Sorry if im trying to be safety conscious...
When you race at the track i think you are responsible for yourself correct?....will they let you wear whatever you want?...kinda bet not...

At the track, not only do they dictate what you have to wear they also dictate how you are allowed to ride.

I've actually been on group rides where riding behavior was policed as well. I was asked to leave that particular group ride.

I've been jonsin' for a good long ride. So yeah, I'm kicking it around.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #36
zrx24

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post

And if you show up without gear and want to follow us? Cool, but interfere with us at all and you will get stuffed/cut-off, buzzed, pushed and harassed on every corner and every straight by this self-righteous (but really fast) guy on an FZ1. It's happened before.

Well, that doesn't sound all that safe!
Liked this post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #37
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Well, that doesn't sound all that safe!
Not for the guy without gear.

For the "Mother Goose" on the fz.... it's quite fun!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #38
Morgstang

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Ok...whos coming to ride Sun?...lol
Old 03-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #39
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)

aint nobody tryna call an ambulance AND a tow truck. Or a life-flight and a tow truck.

Seen both of those scenarios, thankfully only the first one more than once.

But plenty enough to not give a second of my day to some selfish a**hole that wants the joy and benefits of a group ride but only thinks of himself.

BTW- thats like 50% of people on bikes LOL
Liked this post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #40
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Ok...whos coming to ride Sun?...lol
We've got 12+ confirmed for 166 to 390, KSU 1115.

We cancelled on Yankees on account of the bicycle race on 3090.

A few years back, that life flight incident I referred to earlier happened when a pair of cyclists got scared an swerved across the double yellow, into path of passing bikes. Ugly, , terrible mess.

Advertisement