MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #41
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
Better yet, why not give michellin access to the track 1 week before stones so their engineers have more time working on the tyres to be used

:laughing6:laughing6

Regulations were accepted at the beggining of the season, they are loosing well eat it. Fight for next year changes and quit crying cause you are not performing well.

Not hating you Derek.
Come on Al... This is the best racing MotoGP has seen in a long time but, lets keep it MotoGP not Moto "some things are" GP. I think a budget cap would make an awesome MotoGP tire regulation instead of limiting the manufacturers ability to provide the best tire for the race.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valentino Rossi Interview sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 04-05-2013 09:02 PM
Rossi interview RACER X Taking it to the Track 8 11-13-2007 02:47 PM
Rossi BBC interview nutmegchoi Taking it to the Track 5 11-09-2007 08:46 PM
Cool Rossi Interview... Steve O Chap General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-16-2007 01:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #42
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
I think a budget cap would make an awesome MotoGP tire regulation instead of limiting the manufacturers ability to provide the best tire for the race.

I disagree. How would that change the current situation?
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #43
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Come on Al... This is the best racing MotoGP has seen in a long time but, lets keep it MotoGP not Moto "some things are" GP. I think a budget cap would make an awesome MotoGP tire regulation instead of limiting the manufacturers ability to provide the best tire for the race.
THe way i see it is:
Past years
Michellin dominating cause they could have tires overnite delivery
Lots of happy campers cause most of them were on michellins

New Year
Stones dominating
Lots of heavy hitters angry cause they can't get their together

Next Year
We know the two sides of the story, lets find what fits best for the sport, not what michellin wants but what we want and lets keep this season going and best luck to michellin.

I am with you, budget cap, testing, etc. But lets not make the tyre regulation and excuse of why Bridgstone and ducati are dominating. Is a full package what wins.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #44
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:
Better yet, why not give michellin access to the track 1 week before stones so their engineers have more time working on the tyres to be used

:laughing6:laughing6

Regulations were accepted at the beggining of the season, they are loosing well eat it. Fight for next year changes and quit crying cause you are not performing well.

Not hating you Derek.
It's all good Al, good conversation. This isn't about whose losing or winning, at least to me. For me it's more about the rule itself, not the manufacturers or riders. Another way to look at it, why not ask Bridgestone to build a better tire on the fly like Michelin was? Track surfaces and temps constantly change. Weather conditions change over a week or weekend. Riders suspension settings and engine mapping constantly change. Why not allow tires to change for the conditions also? I don't care that it's Bridgestone vs Michelin. It could be the other way around. Same idea to me. Everybody should be allowed to bring their best. To me, that's what MotoGP is, bringing your best.

Did I mentioned I don't even like Michelin's?
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #45
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post
I disagree. How would that change the current situation?
It eliminates the idea that you have to figure out what tires are best to race on 2 days ahead of a race. Living in Texas the weather changes every hour... I have no clue how the weather changes in the rest of the world where they race but it does not seem like the best way to pick a race tire. I mean... even in the CMRA I can buy a tire suited to the current race conditions right before a race.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #46
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
THe way i see it is:
Past years
Michellin dominating cause they could have tires overnite delivery
Lots of happy campers cause most of them were on michellins

New Year
Stones dominating
Lots of heavy hitters angry cause they can't get their together

Next Year
We know the two sides of the story, lets find what fits best for the sport, not what michellin wants but what we want and lets keep this season going and best luck to michellin.

I am with you, budget cap, testing, etc. But lets not make the tyre regulation and excuse of why Bridgstone and ducati are dominating. Is a full package what wins.

Obviously text does not convey tone. I am not making excuses for anybody. I could give a who podiums in MotoGP. I just want to see the best racing these guys can muster but, I would take into consideration the comments from one of the best riders and personalities in motorcycle racing today.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #47
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulatto View Post
It's all good Al, good conversation. This isn't about whose losing or winning, at least to me. For me it's more about the rule itself, not the manufacturers or riders. Another way to look at it, why not ask Bridgestone to build a better tire on the fly like Michelin was? Track surfaces and temps constantly change. Weather conditions change over a week or weekend. Riders suspension settings and engine mapping constantly change. Why not allow tires to change for the conditions also? I don't care that it's Bridgestone vs Michelin. It could be the other way around. Same idea to me. Everybody should be allowed to bring their best. To me, that's what MotoGP is, bringing your best.

Did I mentioned I don't even like Michelin's?
I think that is extemely expensive for the stones, or maybe was since now the have the F1 as the only provider.

I agree to bringing the best to the sport, i just think that if it was the other way around, we will not be having this many debates regarding tires regulations.

So, what do you think about one tyre manufacturer only?> You think that will be bad for MotoGP? You think that is not bringing the best to the sport? I am just asking for opinions.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #48
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Obviously text does not convey tone. I am not making excuses for anybody. I could give a who podiums in MotoGP. I just want to see the best racing these guys can muster but, I would take into consideration the comments from one of the best riders and personalities in motorcycle racing today.
I agree, however his comments are towards his own advantage because his machine isn't performing.

I MAY BE WRONG but did he mentioned anything in the past that they should allow or help the stones to bring better tires when the stones were a sucky tire?

Is he mentioing anything about the Dunlops as in lets give dunlops a 5 seconds handicap (kidding here). NO, he is looking for his own personal lack of podiums. And yes, he is the best there is.

I hope this helps them to find what we all want, what ever is best for the sport without giving advantage to one or the other.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #49
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
You're right, it is too expensive for bridgestone at the moment.

I agree, if Michelin was the one on top nobody would bat an eye. Could that be because Bridgestone is so relatively new to the scene that people wouldn't have come to expect them to be on top yet with the Michelin? :dontknow:

I don't think a one-tire-manufacturer league is what the MotoGP needs to be. Leave that to WSBK I would like to see Pirelli get into the mix with Mich, Stones, and Dunlop in GP.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #50
handozizle

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati 848
2004 GSXR 600-Sold

Send a message via AIM to handozizle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulatto View Post
You're right, it is too expensive for bridgestone at the moment.

I agree, if Michelin was the one on top nobody would bat an eye. Could that be because Bridgestone is so relatively new to the scene that people wouldn't have come to expect them to be on top yet with the Michelin? :dontknow:

I don't think a one-tire-manufacturer league is what the MotoGP needs to be. Leave that to WSBK I would like to see Pirelli get into the mix with Mich, Stones, and Dunlop in GP.
one tire will be good because it doesnt really give one side the advantage. it can also help the younger and smaller budget teams. this is shown in f1 this season

Last edited by handozizle; 07-25-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: missread
handozizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #51
orchard

fellas.....The guy is a five time world champion. I dont think he has to make excuses why he's not on top of the box. If he says his tires are gone before the end of the race, then I believe him.

just my opinion
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #52
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
It eliminates the idea that you have to figure out what tires are best to race on 2 days ahead of a race.
Oh, well I already agreed with that. I was asking about the limited budget that you suggested.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #53
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Oh, well I already agreed with that. I was asking about the limited budget that you suggested.
Yeah, I am not saying my piddly (sp?) idea is the solution. It was just a simple mans idea but, I certainly can not understand why they would limit a world class motorcycle race to tires that where chose 2 days before a race. :eh:

Old 07-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #54
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
I certainly can not understand why they would limit a world class motorcycle race to tires that where chose 2 days before a race. :eh:
Most retarded idea ever.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 07-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #55
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchard View Post
fellas.....The guy is a five time world champion. I dont think he has to make excuses why he's not on top of the box. If he says his tires are gone before the end of the race, then I believe him.

just my opinion

I believe him too. I also believe Colin Edwards, David Brivio and Dani Pedrosa. They have all called out Michelin to step up their game.

They aren't making excuses, they are stating the fact that Michelin is behind. Whether they are behind in tire technology, or just in the ability to pick a set of tires for a for a given weekend doesn't matter. Making these statements public is a way of lighting a fire under the collective of Michelin to come up with some solutions.

They can meet privately with the engineers day in and day out, but when you air the dirty laundry to the public, upper management is sure to take note and push for answers from within as well. And perhaps dedicate more resources to make it happen.

And it makes for good drama. :icon_bigg
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 07-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #56
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
I believe him too. I also believe Colin Edwards, David Brivio and Dani Pedrosa. They have all called out Michelin to step up their game.

They aren't making excuses, they are stating the fact that Michelin is behind. Whether they are behind in tire technology, or just in the ability to pick a set of tires for a for a given weekend doesn't matter. Making these statements public is a way of lighting a fire under the collective of Michelin to come up with some solutions.

They can meet privately with the engineers day in and day out, but when you air the dirty laundry to the public, upper management is sure to take note and push for answers from within as well. And perhaps dedicate more resources to make it happen.

And it makes for good drama. :icon_bigg

... and possibly they will call us for the answer.

Ok, maybe just to write a program or tech support. :icon_bigg

Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #57
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

I believe I touched some of this stuff briefly in my post #16..... I should have said more.

I would like to see more tire manufactures be involved with MotoGP.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #58
ChemiKaze

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post
I might catch some flak for saying this but ....

They need to BAN traction control and all the engine management . Let's go back to spinning tires and cable throttles. Maybe that's why I've been more attracted to AMA lately.
King Kenny said that AMA is an amatuer league... and I couldn't agree more... I have more respect for BSB or CEV riders, the league, and the organization for searching talent... especially the CEV

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #59
ChemiKaze

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

Quote:
Ducati hater :laughing6

Even F1 has tire regulations. I don't think is that bad, i bet if it was the other way around (michellin beating the stones) we wouldn't be listening so much about this topic, but since Rossi and Honda carry so much weight in MotoGP then we MUST change the regulation.
good point mate! But the deal is... Michelin always had tire longivity problems... even back in the 990 days... They would test tires see it didn't work as good as the riders want and so the factory will be making them Friday night.. put it in the truck on Saturday to arrive on Saturday night or early Sunday morning...

Bridgestone didn't have this advantage except in China or Japan!

I personally think that the French can't cut it... I bet the Italians can do it... so bring in those Pirellis!

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #60
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I believe the rule was brought about to try and level the playing field, instead of letting the people with the most money to throw at a problem own the tire business.
If Bridgestone can make a tire versatile enough to work / has their together enough to choose tires 2 days in advance, Michelin and the others need to step up their game imo.

In the meantime, Rossi better get back on his game, or this will be the second year in a row he's lost the championship.
I think Stoner may be under his skin. Rossi has made some unwise decisions while racing, taking chances where he didn't before.
I also think Casey has shown that unlike Sete, he is not intimidated by the "Doctor".

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement