Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #41
mojo
Platinum Member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 R6

Things do happen at the track. The thing to think about when heading to the track is are you comfortable with the amount of risk you are taking. When evaluating this take into account your bike being gone and your medical insurance what it covers and your deductables.

If you can't afford to replace the bike or the pay the medical bills you probably should not head to the track because things do happen from time to time at the track.

I ride my bike both on the street and the track and I made sure when I purchased my policy that I was covered and that my medical insurance also covered me at the track. Because if something was to happen at the track you are responsible for your own equipment and medical bills.

Like my buddy riding in A group went down avoiding a rider that made a mistake in front of him instead of hitting him he ran wide in turn 8 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this weekend yeah he has a few bills but he has it covered because he had limited his risk.

It is the responsibility of the rider making the pass to do so safely but if that rider messes up and collides with another rider you are both responsible for your own stuff.

The reality of this is if people start trying to sue people on the track we are going to ruin the sport as we know it today.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More ghetto trash behaviour... Ulric Off Topic 21 04-03-2013 05:43 PM
15 Responsibilities You Have As An Adult Patrick Off Topic 25 03-15-2012 07:44 AM
Trackdays here yet?!?! dbuck Taking it to the Track 10 01-21-2009 01:29 PM
??? about trackdays Kingsnake1650 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 09-14-2007 05:48 PM
TRACKDAYS ! Lobo General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-28-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #42
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
It sounds like the situation was evaluated, the rider was made well aware of his violations, and that it was handled after that resulting in no further incidents.

I wasn't there, but I know the owners well enough to know that they are fair and just, and that they wouldn't compromise anyone's safety in any way. I think LSTD goes well above most people's expectations when it comes to safety, and that the "unforeseen" events are generally the ones that can hit the hardest. You can't plan for everything, something I learned very early in my line of work. You just try to plan for what you can, and work with what you get when it happens. If you or someone makes a mistake, you learn from it so that you don't duplicate it.
you do realize he ran into somebody resulting in totalled bike and ride to the hospital, that's in the C group? passing on the inside let alone before noon.............:eh:
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #43
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

as a racer I know that people make mistakes in racing but riding a track day in C group people should be held responsible for their riding. If you are breaking rules and take someone out you should do the responsible thing. If you are following rules and stuff happens that is different.

ps I never liked win it or bin it riders in the races that is one of the reason I loved endurance you had to bring a bike back for the next rider.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #44
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
insurance answer

Ok I must admit I didnt read the entire thread, but I heard some insurance questions that I probably can answer since I'm a licensed agent thru state farm as well, same as pete just been doing it longer.

1st trackdays are considered racing, as far as "the farm" is concerned, according to the literature the agent's have, "we don't insure bikes that are used for racing, hill climbing, or leasing to others". As for the school reference, it's a RACING school.

Track + racing + other fast bikes = HIGH RISK and most insurance companies aren't willing to be associated with that risk which is why your gp racers are normally self insured.

The switch back to that is what happens on the track is not REPORTED (i.e. police report), so ur company won't really know what happened unless u tell them. They'll ask for the location of the incident, but they can't really prove where it happened except to go on what u are telling them.

NOW let's take it to every day driving in the question of liability. If someone NEGLIGENTLY CAUSES an accident (makes an illegal u turn into u) and u &/or ur bike is damaged IT IS THEIR RESPONSIBLITY to allow u to recoup ur losses under their LIABILITY INSURANCE. This is why EVERY LICENSED vehicle in TEXAS MUST CARRY LIABILITY at least (now u can be taken to jail if u don't have it, but unless ur being a dik it's unlikely). AGAIN HOWEVER, since the track is "a ride at ur own risk" kinda thing" it's not likely to UPHOLD what the state of TEXAS requires of their drivers so in other words they are not gonna make SURE every rider has LIABILITY on their bike to cover their fk ups that involve u and vice versa with the liability, u can't hold anyone accountable when u are riding at ur own risk.

The RESPONSIBLE thing to do is for this guy to PAY for her dmgs, his NEGLIGENT passing on the inside, which is a NO NO, CAUSED her damages and his liability would cover it, but probably only as long as it wasn't in a racing situation, which unfortunately was so there MAY NOT be coveraged based on that alone.

In this case, I WOULDA ASKED for his insurance info, and if he had not given it MIGHT have taken him to small claims court, but that would be a HUGE might, simply b/c of that whole "ride at ur own risk" deal. MIGHT PLAY A NEGATIVE FOR U!!!

All else fails the non-agent candy would just pull him in a dark corner and kick the living t outta him, for being STUPID!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #45
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

"Accidents can and will happen on a race track. If you ride track days regularly you should expect that eventually odds will catch up with you and one way or another you are going to go down resulting in damage to your bike and possibly yourself."

+1 to ^^^ - Even the Pros have silly crashes so why wouldn't rank amatuers?

If one can't afford or don't want to pay for damages to their bike or themselves then one should stay off a track.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #46
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastGSXR View Post
All else fails the non-agent candy would just pull him in a dark corner and kick the living t outta him, for being STUPID!
calm down candy, kick him out in the open so everyone else can see his getting kicked by a girl
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #47
level5
moving chicane

all right people, better start carrying your insurance card with you to the track. If not, I will take your hide as a down payment. Does this pertain to C group or B group or A group?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #48
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
if he could not handle himself in C what makes them think he is gonna do any better in a faster group?
I think you have to look at the relative speed of each Group.

It might not make immediate sense, but when your speed is X amount greater than most folks around you then you have to deal with more passing situations/instances.

Moving him up to another Group where the speeds are X amount greater reduces closing speeds into corners and passing opporunities... because more riders are closer to each others respective speeds. If he would have been in B-Group to begin with, I think the chance that this would have happened would be greatly reduced..... BUT..... he was a newbie so he did indeed sign-up for the proper Group.

(I know, I know... if he would have LISTENED it wouldn't have happened to begin with!)

I know, at first thought it almost sounds like a "promotion", but that's not what I'm saying here. I has to do with matching the proper people with the proper speeds as best as possible.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #49
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

how about kicking him out for not obeying the rules?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #50
Poptarts
Ducking and Weaving

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R

its stories like this one that make not want to go to the track. im sure i can find the money to participate, but i know that if i wrecked on my own or into someone else i know that i wouldnt have the money to fix either bike. i think the people who cant afford it shouldnt be on the track.
Poptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #51
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Quoting what Wade already stated:

... The guy was in tears when I got to him, two other instructors had already drilled him before I talked to him. He was remorseful and very apologetic, had he been anything else I would have sent him packing. He told me that he got in too hot, wasn't looking through the corner and target fixated on you. He was a newbie that made a mistake...

He was monitored for two more sessions in the B-Group where his speed/riding matched the Group.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #52
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:

I think what it was, is, that under their Current/Past rules, they could only sit him out for that session, and If he did it again, kick him off.

However, they have since said they were looking at trying to change it to fit this type of situation....
Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #53
Jaygermeister
Get out of my way Jimmy

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 1340 Hayabusa CBR1100XX Superblackbird & CBR600F4 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptarts View Post
its stories like this one that make not want to go to the track. im sure i can find the money to participate, but i know that if i wrecked on my own or into someone else i know that i wouldnt have the money to fix either bike. i think the people who cant afford it shouldnt be on the track.

That reminds me of one of my sayings………

I hate rules
Trackdays, responsibilities and good behaviour...
Track days are like going to Las Vegas If you canít afford to lose it donít go!!!!!

Last edited by Jaygermeister; 07-24-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Jaygermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #54
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD View Post
Quoting what Wade already stated:

... The guy was in tears when I got to him, two other instructors had already drilled him before I talked to him. He was remorseful and very apologetic, had he been anything else I would have sent him packing. He told me that he got in too hot, wasn't looking through the corner and target fixated on you. He was a newbie that made a mistake...

He was monitored for two more sessions in the B-Group where his speed/riding matched the Group.
so lets see, he's be WARNED by inst. 2 times prior to him crashing somebody out, he crashed somebody out totalling their street bike, sending them to the hospital, but he was apolgetic so he gets to stay and bump up groups.

sorry, he shoulda been kicked off the track after the 2nd warning.

people need to be held responsible for their actions, he'd prolly cry more if he knew he had just lost $175 for his track fee's becuase he couldn't listen.

you see him ponying up to help pay for FAY' bike? cuz as this thread has shown her bike prolly shouldn't be covered under insurance.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #55
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
so lets see, he's be WARNED by inst. 2 times prior to him crashing somebody out, he crashed somebody out totalling their street bike, sending them to the hospital, but he was apolgetic so he gets to stay and bump up groups.

people need to be held responsible for their actions, he'd prolly cry more if he knew he had just lost $175 for his track fee's becuase he couldn't listen.

you see him ponying up to help pay for FAY' bike? cuz as this thread has shown her bike prolly shouldn't be covered under insurance.
He was never warned(from what Ive seen, they never had a chance. (it was the third lap...

I might be wrong, and correct me if I am.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #56
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:

I think the 2 instructors talked/drilled him after the crash...not before.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #57
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
He was never warned(from what Ive seen, they never had a chance. (it was the third lap...

I might be wrong, and correct me if I am.
You are correct.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #58
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:

Neg, he was never warned... they didn't have a chance to do so. He was approached and spoke with 2 instructors, after the incident... the instructor who posted, came up while the first 2 were communicating with the rider.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #59
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
My insurance has already been called and they will send an adjuster out. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #60
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Quote:

I do not belive he was warned before the incident. I don't think he ever gave anyone at LSTD a reason to give him a warning. This could have been his first occasion for breaking the rules that day. We do not know and at this point, never will.

As far as the insurance goes. Hers is going to cover it as it specifically states in her policy that they will provided it is a non-timed and non-competitive event. I seriously doubt that the insurance willl try to recoup it cost by going after the guy that hit her because it would be too hard to prove fault.

Everyone's policy is different. If yours doesn't cover it, everyone might want to check on one that does.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement