MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #181
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbunny View Post
Bah. More research? I was just talking to Patricia about how this whole thing is like deja vu to me.

Back in 2004, 2 people, a friend of mine plus the wife of the trackday organizer, were stuffed off the track when someone broke the rules of the session by passing on the inside. Their bikes were totaled, both with collarbones broken, and the trackday organizers wife with her leg broken in 2 places. The culprit rode on and never identified himself. We had this same liability conversation 2 years ago with roughly the same conclusion.
Back in 2004... same track? How many indentical incidents from then to today's date at the same track(s)?

Quote:
Maybe the unwritten " happens" rule worked back when the community was smaller and people had some honor. These days, little can cause major injury and property damage through gross negligence and walk away with a "sore bottom" or feel fine never coming forward at all. Bullshit.
It's hard to comment precisely what took place as only the track personnel & the rider in question know what at happened.
There's a lot of judgment being passed with nowhere near enough information in WHY in regards to this person.

Quote:
As for the track being safer? Whatever. Another friend at another trackday managed to crash himself off the track, sliding into a position with a low rise (hill) between him and the cornerworker. He roasted out there, seriously injured, for 2 hours in his leathers on a summer day before the friends he was with decided that this very popular guy was missing and not just hanging out at some other pit.

So yeah. Don't kid yourself. The track isn't safer...not with cornerworkers and ambulances standing by and certainly not when people don't have to care enough to take responsibility for their actions.
and how many times has it happened vs road accidents? Want the story about the guy on a late evening ride, had heart attack and ran off the road. Wasn't found until the next day when he was reported missing?

Lets summarze what's the ratio of wrecks & fatalaties on the street versus the track (and lets remove racing from this, just practice/track days).

We know there are inherent risk/dangers in track riding...duh. Those that ride there choose to, they are aware of the risks. So yes, more research...
it's about properly looking at things and making an assessment versus jumping in blind and making potentially stupid and damaging mistakes.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More ghetto trash behaviour... Ulric Off Topic 21 04-03-2013 05:43 PM
15 Responsibilities You Have As An Adult Patrick Off Topic 25 03-15-2012 07:44 AM
Trackdays here yet?!?! dbuck Taking it to the Track 10 01-21-2009 01:29 PM
??? about trackdays Kingsnake1650 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 09-14-2007 05:48 PM
TRACKDAYS ! Lobo General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-28-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #182
texasyankee

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

As I said in an earlier post, I have been hit on the track, my bike was damaged, I got an apology, he rode on, I was finished for the day and paid for my own repairs. That's what I expected.

If you think you would sue someone for a track incident, please stay off the track.

If you cannot afford to total your track bike, please stay off the track.

If you don't have health insurance, please stay off the track.

The track is both safer and more dangerous than the street. There are more one bike plastic damage incidents but many fewer hospitalizations and deaths.
I am less likely to have an accident riding my Harley on a straight street at 60 mph than my Suzuki at 50 mph in Diamond's Edge but if I go down on the track I'm not going to slide into an other car, a sign post or a culvert.

From my experience with Buck's track days, there are about 30 riders and from one to five incidents per day. On the street having five out of 30 riders wreck would be disastrous. On the track, it is "get the bike back to the pits, try to fix it and go out again." Totally different outlooks and results.

If you end up being transported, we'll all be properly sympathetic and secretly glad it was you and not us.

Since I'm consistently the slowest, I'm not an expert on passing, but I am an expert on being passed. If the passing rider is looking ahead, he doesn't realize he just stuffed me. Therefore, I don't expect him to apologize. I may be momentarily angry but by the time the sessions ends I've forgotten what he looks like. When you're my age memory doesn't last long.

Some things to know about Buck's track days: there are no groups; everyone rides together so the speed variations are great. i.e. the difference between me turning 2:20 and maybe someone turning over 2:30 and some racers turning 1:40. The passing rules are the same as LSTD's A group. That means a lot of close passes and inside passes on the turns. If you can't handle that you won't be happy.

I like the track; its made me a better rider, but its not for everyone. Before you do one, understand its risks and rewards.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #183
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so where's the accident report? oh right there isn't one.....even this thread nobody know's for a fact.
If you want an accident report, keep it on the streets where you'll get one written by a LEO.

Coming from a drag strip environment, if you get wrecked by another racer, oh well, that sucks. Unless the damage was premeditated, you aren't going to be successful in suing the offender or the track. In addition, I've never seen anyone kicked out at the strip for losing traction, staying on the throttle too long and accidentally hitting the car next to them.

I know someone who was wrecked by someone else at a track and I KNOW there isn't anyhting you can do about it since you were on private property, at a racing facility, and had signed a waiver acknowledging you know wtf you're signing up for.

As far as I know, it's the same thing for the scca guys, etc. Whether someone hits them during practice (which is what these trackdays amount to) or a race, they aren't going to be reimbursed by insurance (unless it's their own coverage like Patricia's). The other driver MIGHT help out, but likely it's a "sorry" that you'll get.

If you don't like it, like others have said, don't go. If you can't deal with the "what ifs", you don't need to go out there and risk your bike or yourself.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #184
orchard

Feedback Rating: (1)

, 10 pages huh?
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #185
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6