MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

Hydra-Shok to the chest.

Looking up some CHL info and ran across this.

"A few days ago I had a visit from one of our students who was involved in a fatal shooting last year. To protect his privacy, we’ll go by his first initial, K. K is doing well, and has adjusted well after his experience. He shared some thoughts that may be helpful to you.
K was parked at a truck stop in Mississippi, pumping gas for his vehicle. Another man pulled up at an adjacent pump, and exited his vehicle. For no apparent reason, the man approached K and began verbally abusing him. K told the man he wanted no trouble, just go away. The man went back to his vehicle and got a sap (a weighted flexible club) and struck K with it. As K turned away from the blow, he was hit again on the back of the head. This blow dropped him to his knees, with the man standing behind him. K drew his Beretta 8045 from under his shirt, and fired three rounds behind him, holding the gun around his side. At that point the assailant ran off across the parking lot, collapsing some distance away. Although he had a gash on the back of his head, K had the presence of mind to ask a nearby witness to wait for police, and tell someone else to call the police. When the police arrived, K had his gun holstered and his ID and permit in hand. The assailant died, and the Grand Jury returned a No True Bill against K, ruling the death a justifiable homicide. Here are some important points:

1. You can’t pick the time or place. K was minding his own business pumping gas when attacked. Fortunately, he had his gun on.
2. Violence can be completely random and unprovoked. The dead suspect turned out to have a long history of violent assaults against others. He apparently was mentally unstable.
3. Don’t expect “Hollywood” reactions if you are forced to shoot someone. After three rounds of .45 Hydra-Shok to the chest, this attacker ran 25 yards before collapsing face up in the parking lot.
4. Think about these issues in advance and have a plan. K was able to remain calm and avoid danger from responding police, who may only know there has been a shooting and that an armed “suspect” is on the scene.
You must keep your wits.
5. Don’t let fear of the criminal justice system or of lawsuits paralyze you into inaction. One more blow of that sap may have ended K’s life. At least in our part of the country, legitimate self defense is still a basic human right."

Three Hydra Shoks to the chest and still run 25 yards. :notworthy
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Chest/Back protector should I get? tunaluna Gear Talk 11 01-08-2013 10:42 AM
Chest Cold Remedy Grinchy Off Topic 26 01-28-2010 11:58 PM
chest and face warmer pester Gear Talk 5 10-30-2008 03:28 PM
Piston into chest gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-22-2008 05:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
AznGoneNuts

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6

Send a message via AIM to AznGoneNuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskale View Post
Looking up some CHL info and ran across this.

"A few days ago I had a visit from one of our students who was involved in a fatal shooting last year. To protect his privacy, we’ll go by his first initial, K. K is doing well, and has adjusted well after his experience. He shared some thoughts that may be helpful to you.
K was parked at a truck stop in Mississippi, pumping gas for his vehicle. Another man pulled up at an adjacent pump, and exited his vehicle. For no apparent reason, the man approached K and began verbally abusing him. K told the man he wanted no trouble, just go away. The man went back to his vehicle and got a sap (a weighted flexible club) and struck K with it. As K turned away from the blow, he was hit again on the back of the head. This blow dropped him to his knees, with the man standing behind him. K drew his Beretta 8045 from under his shirt, and fired three rounds behind him, holding the gun around his side. At that point the assailant ran off across the parking lot, collapsing some distance away. Although he had a gash on the back of his head, K had the presence of mind to ask a nearby witness to wait for police, and tell someone else to call the police. When the police arrived, K had his gun holstered and his ID and permit in hand. The assailant died, and the Grand Jury returned a No True Bill against K, ruling the death a justifiable homicide. Here are some important points:

1. You can’t pick the time or place. K was minding his own business pumping gas when attacked. Fortunately, he had his gun on.
2. Violence can be completely random and unprovoked. The dead suspect turned out to have a long history of violent assaults against others. He apparently was mentally unstable.
3. Don’t expect “Hollywood” reactions if you are forced to shoot someone. After three rounds of .45 Hydra-Shok to the chest, this attacker ran 25 yards before collapsing face up in the parking lot.
4. Think about these issues in advance and have a plan. K was able to remain calm and avoid danger from responding police, who may only know there has been a shooting and that an armed “suspect” is on the scene.
You must keep your wits.
5. Don’t let fear of the criminal justice system or of lawsuits paralyze you into inaction. One more blow of that sap may have ended K’s life. At least in our part of the country, legitimate self defense is still a basic human right."

Three Hydra Shoks to the chest and still run 25 yards. :notworthy
if it was a 9mm he would've made it to 50yrds
Old 07-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
RaZ
J.A.F.A.

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS 1000, Honda CB750K DOHC

nah if it was a nine he would have lived..... i have hydras and gold dots alternating in my guns (40 and 45 cal)
RaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Good article.
FWIW, I prefer the Honady TAP ammo or Black Talons. They both stop better.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
DLunsford21
Go Fast Or Go Home

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha 600r -STOLEN-

Send a message via AIM to DLunsford21
was he under the influence of a narcotic or other drug?

R.I.P. Brother, You'll Forever Be Apart Of Us All
DLunsford21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLunsford21 View Post
was he under the influence of a narcotic or other drug?
That's what I was thinking :confused1
Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Alstare_Gixxer
Crash Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZ View Post
nah if it was a nine he would have lived..... i have hydras and gold dots alternating in my guns (40 and 45 cal)

I have both Black Talons and SilverTips alternating in my clip
Alstare_Gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Round placement trumps round displacement.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
I run everyday run of the mil winchester hollow points...Im sure theyre plenty effective..hope I never have to find out = )
Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
Round placement trumps round displacement.
This is true, but I'd rather be shot with a 9mm than a .45 or even a .40.

I've seen first hand how ineffective the 9mm round can be, and how effective the .45 is.

I've yet to shoot anyone with a .40 yet, but I've been pretty impressed with what it did to ballistic gel.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
Patrick...not only a gun nut, but also the famed local motorcycle go-to guy. I wanna be like you when I grow up = )

Advertisement