MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Knives

Member Garage

Newb to forum and riding...

I have been riding for a couple of weeks with my first bike, 05 cbr600rr. I know to fast to expensive for a newb but so far so good. Thing is I have been into hondas since I was 14 (9 years ago) and when your that new to any scene the dumbest things can look cool to you when later you can't believe what you were thinking. I guess what I'm asking is what is "ricey'' in the bike word?

Rim tape?
Carbon fiber stickers?
L-plate stuck on swing arm?
neon lights?
and so on... just curuios as what most people would consider pretty weak.

nice forum folks. later.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New forum and street riding want to ride with people johnntron General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 09-13-2014 01:09 PM
Need help Newb here OpnCskt Stunters Lounge 81 12-23-2011 09:14 AM
Other Forum Rant / Car Audio Forum? MiniG0D Off Topic 5 05-22-2011 12:38 AM
newb question Big Boy Forum Updates & Feedback 17 03-18-2009 07:06 AM
Rides newb Gruntus Events, Meets and Rides 14 06-10-2006 03:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
st3ph3n

Feedback Rating: (0)

Re: Newb to forum and riding...

Trying to make sure you don't do some of the things people are going to post?
st3ph3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Knives

Member Garage

somewhat yes. I'll usually end up doing what I like over what others do but I don't want to be 5 years ago.

Also some guys in my town think they are the with there valve stem neon strobes :dontknow:. I'm no O.G. but I don't think thats cool and would have to say thats ricey or whatever term people use
Old 07-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Welcome! And man, about the rice, With bikes its a bit diff. Do what you want.....if people dont like it, oh well, they didnt pay for it..
Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

you go to SFA? me and my buddy javier go visit our friend in Nac pretty often.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Just try to be tasteful right:
Nothing too cheesy. You obviously spent alot of $ on that Honda, don't spend any more it up. Nice exhaust, sliders, REAL carbon fiber sprinkled here and there. You have to personalize your bike. What you do is a reflection of you as a person. If you want bling, you obviously are needing attention. The coolest guys are the ones who keep a low profile. Spend money on upgrading suspension, brakes, exhaust, tires, engine, not on !!!!!
The first money that you should spend however, is on riding gear. Not just a helmet and gloves, but also a protective jacket with pants, riding boots and such. The next thing to spend your hard earned $ on is actually learning how to ride. You deffinetly want to be doing it for a long time to come, so call the MSF, or visit the safety section on this board. That would be a great place to begin. right:
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Knives

Member Garage

next year I will be. Just went back to school last year after a 3 year vacation Lufkin is less than half an hour from Nac. My friends and I ride there, eat out, cruise a bit, and head on home. Its a change of scene and the chicks are alot hotter. Maybe we can meet up sometime after school starts. Looking to meet some H-town riders.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

I ride in that area at least once a month. PM me when you are available and we'll get together
Old 07-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives
next year I will be.* Just went back to school last year after a 3 year vacation* Lufkin is less than half an hour from Nac. My friends and I ride there, eat out, cruise a bit, and head on home.* Its a change of scene and the chicks are alot hotter.* Maybe we can meet up sometime after school starts. Looking to meet some H-town riders.
be careful. girls there have rotten snatches.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki
Nothing too cheesy. You obviously spent alot of $ on that Honda, don't spend any more it up. Nice exhaust, sliders, REAL carbon fiber sprinkled here and there. You have to personalize your bike. What you do is a reflection of you as a person. If you want bling, you obviously are needing attention. The coolest guys are the ones who keep a low profile. Spend money on upgrading suspension, brakes, exhaust, tires, engine, not on !!!!!
The first money that you should spend however, is on riding gear. Not just a helmet and gloves, but also a protective jacket with pants, riding boots and such. The next thing to spend your hard earned $ on is actually learning how to ride. You deffinetly want to be doing it for a long time to come, so call the MSF, or visit the safety section on this board. That would be a great place to begin. right:
nothing you said is true. if you buy your bike for track/weekend warrior then i would understand the brakes, suspension, etc.

to have it as a toy then you would bling it up with chrome and misc. items. everybody has diffrent reasons why they buy thier bikes. your sound alot like the HSN guys when new riders show up and give them a "heads up".

MSF before the bike or if not, the first thing you do after you get the bike if you really want to take precautions. i have alot of on my bike like turnsignals, fender eliminator, polished parts so does that make me not cool cuz my bike draws attention?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

NOPE!!!
Some like flash. Some don't.
He is asking for opinions, I gave mine. He needs to learn to ride before customizing. Bottom Line...........
The most important upgrades, I believe, most will agree, are perfomance, not just speed. True, you want to personalize your bike, but safety should always comes first. If you want to draw attention to yourself, it should be brought by good riding skills. Otherwise perhaps he should just make a show bike.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #12
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

I also agree, Sliders and Riding gear should be mandatory items. If you don't have either yet, come back when you do.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
KalmarJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #13
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
NOPE!!!
exactly. he has his own taste and reason for buying one. most likely he thought it was a cool thing to do so let him upgrade whatever he wants (bling)* but i doubt he or anybody is riding it so hard that its time to upgrade performance on his SS bike after a few weeks.

learn to ride yes, but he might not want to do track, MSF, or back roads. give your opinion but dont make it seem that he needs to learn to "ride" the bike like you do to go with anything aftermarket or blingalicious.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #14
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

slip on exhaust, smoke windscreen, frame sliders, rim tape, matching helmet and gear, real carbon fiber pcs, rear sets. just a few popular add ons that are cool
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #15
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
Quote:
NOPE!!!
exactly. he has his own taste and reason for buying one. most likely he thought it was a cool thing to do so let him upgrade whatever he wants (bling)* but i doubt he or anybody is riding it so hard that its time to upgrade performance on his SS bike after a few weeks.

learn to ride yes, but he might not want to do track, MSF, or back roads. give your opinion but dont make it seem that he needs to learn to "ride" the bike like you do to go with anything aftermarket or blingalicious.
I guess if you had had the part where it said FIRST he needs to learn to ride, you would not have a need to use the colored text
Old 07-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #16
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
Quote:
NOPE!!!

I guess if you had had the part where it said FIRST he needs to learn to ride, you would not have a need to use the colored text
Quote:
The first money that you should spend however, is on riding gear. Not just a helmet and gloves, but also a protective jacket with pants, riding boots and such.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #17
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

Quote:
+1 godsuki even crazy people say wise stuff
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #18
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

I must defintely agree on the riding gear stuff!! Forget the bike. Protect yourself first! Then you can do little mods here and there to the bike. For example I started with a eurotail, flush blinkers, and aftermarket windscreen. The rest of the stuff is up to you. Lookin for performace? Try changin the stock exhaust, or perhaps putting a power commander if you even know what it is. Just look around the net for bike accessories, see what catches your attn and go with it. right: .

Welcome to the board and keep us posted!
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #19
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

Send a message via AIM to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via MSN to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via Yahoo to UrMyStlkAl

What does the aftermarket windscreen do that's different? I'll need to replace mine on the F2. Any reason I shouldn't just get a stock one?
UrMyStlkAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #20
nels

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMyStlkAl
What does the aftermarket windscreen do that's different?* I'll need to replace mine on the F2.* Any reason I shouldn't just get a stock one?
it depends on what kind you get. if you get a tinted one, no diff. if you get a double bubble one, then it helps a lil with wind resistance.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement