MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
albertinhouston

Feedback Rating: (2)

starter clutch.

When the Starter clutch is going out or is out what are the signs?

Every once in a while, it'll spin over fine for a few seconds...
but then it gets really really slow. like the battery is low. (battery is good)

I've swapped out the starter, solenoid, +/ - cables, grounds, handle bar control pretty much everything external that starts it.

There is nothing on the cylinder top(gas) and it does it with the plugs out. so it's not a compression issue on top of the piston.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starter gear??? mtthwhen Gear Talk 15 08-12-2012 08:54 PM
Fickle starter yeraboof How To's and Q & A's 28 05-21-2011 03:05 PM
Starter out? sashapetro How To's and Q & A's 7 04-07-2011 09:07 PM
Upshifting: To Clutch or Not To Clutch? cobra281 Taking it to the Track 35 11-27-2008 12:46 AM
starter bikes Eltejano719 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-01-2006 06:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
El Pachuco

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

If the engine is turning over when the starter is engaged, the starter clutch is working. I have never heard of a starter clutch failing.

It sounds like you may have a weak cell in the battery. It can be intermittent. Have you put a voltage meter on the battery to test both static and load voltage? regardless of the batteries age, it could still be bad.

And what make model and year is the bike in question?
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
albertinhouston

I've change all the parts with known good parts.
battery as well.

09 Hyosung 650 ( has 2200 miles)

example... after I swapped everything... I thought the starter has to be binding up on something took off the stator cover. moved the gear around between the starter shaft and fly wheel then it turned over again fine for a few seconds then went right back to slow again. It almost feels like it trying to engage with something but it's just not gripping.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

I've had a starter clutch go out before. '98 TLR. Like you, I changed out most items, upgraded cables, redundant grounds, making sure i had good contact, commutator cleaning, new brushes, etc.

In my case it sounded like the battery was low and sounded like slow cranking. What was actually happening: battery was fine, power would get to the starter as it should the starter would spin as normal. Starter clutch engages up until 3/4 of the compression stroke. Then, it slips for a second (compression in that cylinder would bleed off) then it grabs and turns the motor again until the second cylinder would reach compression stroke. Again, it would slip for a second then grab. Effectively making it sound like slow cranking. Eventually the motor would start, or, I would run the battery down.

I was able to confirm the problem by pulling the side cover off, cranking the motor and visually see what was happening. hope this helps.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

do you turn your bike off during red lights? or any other excessive use of starting the bike repetitiously?

reason i ask is because the entire starter went out in my sv650 and i couldnt figure out why....

i kept thinking it was the battery not cranking the bike. so i would replace the battery, it would be fine for a little while then it would leave me stranded or wouldnt start.

the bike rarely (if ever) did a slow crank. on a cool/cold night it would crank and start up, i'd do a voltage drop test on it and everything spec'd out by the books so i'd go take it for a spin get some gas and it would leave me stranded at the gas station.

the guys over at the sv650 forum had me doing voltage readings on the R&R, stator, starter solenoid, etc. etc.

turns out the starter itself had indeed gone bad.

have you pulled the starter and bench test'ed it?

when i finally got my starter off and bench tested it, it was "working" but it only spinning freely under zero load. when it was on the bike it would not spin.

new starter resolved the entire issue, never had any kind of starting issue since.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
albertinhouston

[QUOTE=mx6er;3992457]
In my case it sounded like the battery was low and sounded like slow cranking. What was actually happening: battery was fine, power would get to the starter as it should the starter would spin as normal. Starter clutch engages up until 3/4 of the compression stroke. Then, it slips for a second (compression in that cylinder would bleed off) then it grabs and turns the motor again until the second cylinder would reach compression stroke. Again, it would slip for a second then grab. Effectively making it sound like slow cranking. Eventually the motor would start, or, I would run the battery down.
QUOTE]

This sounds exactly like what I'm going though....

SV650. I swapped parts from my other bike and they did the same thing. to me the prob is internal of the motor
Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

what u waiting for? go get another starter clutch assy.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
I've had a starter clutch go out before. '98 TLR. Like you, I changed out most items, upgraded cables, redundant grounds, making sure i had good contact, commutator cleaning, new brushes, etc.

I was able to confirm the problem by pulling the side cover off, cranking the motor and visually see what was happening. hope this helps.
When the starter's clutch would slip, could you still here the starter spinning at full speed as the engine stopped or slowed in RPMs?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
albertinhouston

For me... the starter is not full speed, the RPMs slow as well.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pachuco View Post
When the starter's clutch would slip, could you still here the starter spinning at full speed as the engine stopped or slowed in RPMs?
starter still spins as the clutch slips. From what I've seen it happens more with big twins due to their compression stroke.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
albertinhouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
what u waiting for? go get another starter clutch assy.
I didnt sse this post.
Waiting for 5:00
Aaaaaaand to find a place that has the bolt to get right.size bolt.to take off the magnito
Buuuut no luck. Same results
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #12
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertinhouston View Post
For me... the starter is not full speed, the RPMs slow as well.
if your clutch is slipping, the starter should still be spinning freely while the engine slows.

Again, it sounds like an intermittent battery problem.
LOAD TEST will tell you if that is your problem.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Usually if it is a starter clutch, it is a completely different part and it makes horrible noises if it is slipping. They either lock up or slip and grind. A strong starter would knock it around, hence the horrible noise.

As it has already been said, you should still hear the starter spinning. Have you tried it with a jump box to eliminate the battery?

I had the same problem with a Kawasaki Z1000. Turned out the starter was weak. Pull one/both of the spark plugs out and see if it will turn the motor with ease. Then you know it's a weak starter or clutch. It's just rare that starter clutches go bad.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #14
albertinhouston

Here is the odd the that happened.. while it was stuck(hard to crank) the ground wire(small wire that has a connector) on the neg terminal. Got smoking hot and melted the insulation.... ;-( i need to go through n double check wiring on the bike since its new to me

Ive swapped out the starter.
Also all of this is with the plugs out
Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
Here is the odd the that happened.. while it was stuck(hard to crank) the ground wire(small wire that has a connector) on the neg terminal. Got smoking hot and melted the insulation.... ;-( i need to go through n double check wiring on the bike since its new to me

Ive swapped out the starter.
Also all of this is with the plugs out
Provided the connection was tight, that is a sure sign that you have reverse polarity somewhere in your wiring.
Something, somewhere is connected backwards.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #16
albertinhouston

Yeah.... its a used bike of course so who knows what they did to it. .
Time for some boring work! Lol
Old 03-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

pull your starter apart and clean the contacts. there's gunk built up in there and/or the brushes are getting worn.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #18
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
Yeah.... its a used bike of course so who knows what they did to it. .
Time for some boring work! Lol
Good luck finding the problem.

When I was much younger and far less knowledgeable, I hooked up the wiring to my coils backward. It ran fine and showed no ill effects, at first. Then, after a couple of months my starter stopped working. I bypassed the starter relay and found that the starter worked just fine. So I bypassed the relay with a push button and all was good for years. Then one day i happened to notice the ground wire from the starter relay to the frame was burned, as was the ground wires from the coils to the frame. A light went off in my head and I started back tracking and doing some home work. It turned out I had crossed the coil wires, years before and that was the cause of the problem. I reversed the coils wires, repaired the burned ground wires and all was good, including the starter and the starter relay.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

One more thing Al, if you decide you want to try a different starter you know I've got a couple lying around...
Old 03-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #20
albertinhouston

Thanks for the offer Jae, but I have a few Hyo's in the garage. Been hrlording them lol

Advertisement