MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Swade

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr

Shoei X-14

So I have been wanting to upgrade my helmet from an HJC CL17 for a while now and I noticed on Revzilla that the new Shoei X-14s just became available so I ordered one Wednesday and it just arrived! Here's a few pictures of it and I'll give my initial impressions after giving her a spin this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	91166  
Swade is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH 6.14.14 Feedback !!! joeybaila Ridesmart Motorcycle School 18 06-18-2014 04:32 PM
Wednesday night meet: 5.14.14 Winston's on Washington dudewhrsmybike Events, Meets and Rides 15 05-21-2014 05:21 PM
NW MEET MONDAY 4/14/14 AT BAKER STREET WILLOWBROOK Rallo Events, Meets and Rides 21 04-17-2014 05:51 PM
NEED a SHOEI bombsaway General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 01-08-2010 04:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
Swade

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr

The back view
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	65
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	91167  
Old 02-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
Swade

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr

The other side view
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	54
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	91168  
Old 02-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Swade

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr

UPDATE: So for the almost 8 hours of riding I have had with the X-14, I am very very happy with its performance. The one thing I noticed right off the bat when I put on the helmet and started riding was that the helmet does feel balanced. That paired with the clarity from the visor, even the smoke visor I put on it, I dont even realize I am wearing a helmet while riding. Compared to what I used to have which was a HJC CL-17, pretty budget entry level helmet which did its job to a premium grade helmet there are a lot of upgrades.

1) Balance while at riding at all speeds.
2) Optical clarity with the visor with the pinlock shield (which is provided with the helmet)
3) Buffeting = non existent, Aerodynamics feel on point! my head stays so still when getting up to speed when compared to the CL-17 that I dont even realize how fast sometimes I am actually going.
4) Venting is definitely way way better. With the cheek venting system, you can actually feel the slight cooling sensation in the cheek pads. The top chimney vent wide open (in my opinion) had a lot of venting in the mohawk of the head. While waiting for some friends I kept my helmet on to build up some sweat, and once I started riding I instantly started to feel cooler.
5) Noise reduction - It padding does make a good seal around the head, and when paired with the chin curtain it does make it pretty quiet.
6) I can actually head check! - (this one is probably more for me but yeah) when I wear the CL17 I do notice when I try to to head checks, the outer shell would bump into my shoulder because the helmet was fairly large so I wouldnt be able to turn my head all the way. The X-14 is a different story, the shell its self is smaller but you still feel protected but the shell does not bump into my shoulder so I can head check better.
7) It looks good - when paired with the smoke visor it looks even better in person.

Like all the reviews seen on youtube it has a very aggressive look to it, and yes it was made primarily for track use. But I will say its good for street use too, the only thing that I would see being an issue for most people is the $600 starting price tag and then the additional 50 for a new visor. But to help save some money, I would order the helmet through Revzilla since no sales tax and free shipping plus you earn $30 revbucks which I immediately the next day used towards the visor and only spent $20 out of pocket for. Both items shipped separately but I got them 2 days after ordering in the mail. So I would recommend this helmet to everyone if you're in the market for a premium helmet that offers great balance, performance and aggressive style. I will post updates on here if I find any thing about it that should be noted.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
greg328

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2007 Ducati 1098
2015 Yamaha R1

Thanks for the report, this helmet interests me as well. I've had an X-11, now an X-12, and they seem to fit me better than Arai, AGV, and HJC.

I may wait a while to see if prices soften a bit!

Greg
greg328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
Swade

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg328 View Post
Thanks for the report, this helmet interests me as well. I've had an X-11, now an X-12, and they seem to fit me better than Arai, AGV, and HJC.

I may wait a while to see if prices soften a bit!

Greg
The X-14 definitely to me fits better for sure, plus I prefer its wide field of view as opposed to an Arai which to me seems very narrow. I will also like to note that the adjustments that can be made with the interior lining actually do work really well! I rode around leaving it at the stock adjustments and over the past few days I have been playing around with tweaking each one, and I have actually made the helmet fit even better and more comfortable! Not to mention soon they will offer different size pads on the interior for more customization.
Liked this post:
Old 03-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Thanks for the update. I have several x-11's and I really do need to look at getting a newer model.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Swade

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Thanks for the update. I have several x-11's and I really do need to look at getting a newer model.
And I would highly recommend the X-14! I love mine so far and it has performed way better than I originally expected

Advertisement