MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Daily Craig: The yellow flag is out

What a finish at Daytona yesterday. IT IS THE ONLY Nascar race I can watch in it's entirety. I certainly remember being at Ch . 2 GETTING Ready to put the "Sports Sunday" show together when what looked liked an innocent wall banging turned into the death of Dale Earnhardt. I combined with author Mickey Herskowitz to produce a book about A.J. Foyt. Foyt won Daytona but didn't appear thrilled later in life. The cover the publisher selected for our book had A.J. standing next to his stock car at a long ago Daytona 500. ", why don't they put me in a taxi" said Super Tex. The book wasn't published.

A Daytona story I always liked involved my friend JIM HURTIBISE. "Herk" died in Port Arthur in 1989. He was only 56. Ironically that number 56 was his Mallard Roadster at Indy and his various stock cars. He ran Daytona in the "not so lucrative years of the 60's and '70's. His biggest pay day at the 500 was $3600 driving for Roberts Racing. Charlie Roberts (no relation) owned the car but one of the sponsors was KENNY MORAN ELECTRIC in INDY.

Herk wasn't having a good day and according to those in the know, Kenny Moran was not happy since 56 was getting no closer to the front and the TV cameras had only been on him at the start. Herk decided he had to get his pal some publicity. He yanked the steering wheel coming off a turn and sent the NO.56 into the infield..DIRT FLEW EVERY WHERE and all eyes were on him. EVERY TV camera AT THE TRACK watched the car spin and finally stop. They zeroed in on the driver's door. There in big red letters just above the door was the moment the sponsor had waited for. It read KENNY MORAN ELECTRIC, INDIANAPOLIS. Herk knew how to rise to a tough decision. Sponsor money was hard to come by. Nascar is now off to Atlanta, where Jim won his only 2 big time stock car races.

KPRC20The20Daily20Craig20click 1448553009522 651061 ver10 1280 720

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote