MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Wharton girls basketball coach making impact on and off court

After winning fewer than 10 games in three years, coach Jonathon Gibson took over Wharton girls basketball and he's making a huge impact on the court, but more importantly in life.

"My expectation was to have a 20-win season and win the district championship, but no, never did I think it would get to 30-0," said Gibson.

"Who would have thought, we only won like three games and now we've won 30 and we're undefeated," said lone senior guard Kia Gillis.

With just eight girls on the varsity roster, mostly underclassman, Wharton has exceeded all expectations. However, ranked third in the state, the ladies are far from satisfied.

"We want to go to state, that's all we want to do. Just go to state and win," said guard Roberta Farris.

The secret behind Wharton's success? It's Gibson, who's led the Tigers to 53 wins in two years.

"Once we got rollin' and getting the wins, it was easier to set our goals for the next mark," said Gibson.

"He came in and did his job, he's an excellent coach, and always there for us. I love him, he's taught me a lot," Farris said.

And Gibson is teaching a lot more than basketball. He's created a family atmosphere at Wharton that's brought the team closer than they've ever been.

"We have a bond, we've been playing a long time. When he comes in he helps us connect, even when we're having problems. He knows we're a family and how we should act," said Meme Foston.

Gibson has two daughters of his own, Kenna and Kenzi, but it's safe to say he's adopted a few more.

"I have my own kids who come to the gym. They're gym rats. Having them around the kids and my wife, we're just around each other so much that you don't have an option but to become family," said Gibson.

"He always calls us his daughters," said Gillis.

"He has us set goals even if we don't think we can reach them, just in case," Foston said.

"He wants us to have good grades, he doesn't care about anything else but our grades," said Farris.

"He's changed my whole perspective on basketball and that we can really make it somewhere in life," said Foston.

The Lady Tigers play Sweeny on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. to begin postseason play.

basketball on court 2213466 ver10 1280 720

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement