MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Houston - Local News > Sports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

La Porte woman uses chainsaw to carve J.J. Watt wooden sculpture

Della Meredith of La Porte has turned her love for art into a business carving wooden sculptures with a chainsaw.

Meredith,40, taught art in the Splendora and Humble independent school districts for a combined eight years. She said she loved teaching art and working with children, but she wanted to start working on her own pieces.

"I started out doing a lot of painting and it kind of turned into sculpture. And just recently in the last two years, I started doing the chainsaw carving," she said.

Meredith said she wanted to start wood carving and tried different tools, but none of them worked well enough for what she wanted to create, so she got a chainsaw.

"My mom and my dad were worried about me at first. They were like, 'I don't know if you should be doing this. It's really dangerous.' But I haven't had any problems. It almost feels like it's an extension of my hands." She said she's never injured herself, but she's had several splinters.

Meredith started out carving smaller sculptures. She has done tikis, totem poles and fish.

"I used the chainsaw to cut out the pieces and then I go back in with the grinder," Meredith said. Recently, she received a request from a friend for a much bigger and more challenging project - Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt.

"I think J.J. Watt is inspirational. He's an awesome player. He always takes time to notice the children, and he's a good role model for kids. He has really good work ethic and that was motivating to me to do this piece," she said.

Meredith used Cypress wood from Kenefick, Texas, for the Watt piece. It took her about four or five days to complete. She said Watt's arms were so big, she had to make them separately and attach them to the rest of the body. The piece is 5 feet tall and weighs about 80 pounds.

WATCH VIDEO OF MEREDITH CARVING J.J. WATT PIECE

Meredith posted the photo on her Facebook page, and many people were amazed by her work.

"My friend Della is crazy talented! Look at this JJ Watt she carved!" wrote Misty Forrest IIdebrando.

"You should contact JJ and give it to him. He would love this!" wrote Debbie Ragsdale.

Meredith said she would love for Watt to see her work.

"It's funny because it's like a smaller, miniature him." I would love to see his reaction or hear what he thought about it."

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk')); Carving JJ Watt

Posted by Della Meredith on Friday, January 22, 2016

Della20Meredith 1455039477982 2148045 ver10 1280 720

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote