MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #121
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
^^I miss this guy ^^
Is he on your team again this year?!
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH Oct 18 2015 Lvl 2 Ridesmart Playing in traffic Classax Taking it to the Track 4 10-23-2015 09:32 PM
RideSmart Returns to MSRH September 13 and 14 !! Special Pricing !! RideSmart1 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 73 10-01-2014 11:10 AM
MSRH Feb 14 Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 CMRA Reserved Paddock Parking Rod Taking it to the Track 1 02-11-2014 02:45 PM
LvL 2 barber for sale with ridesmart bigpat728 Taking it to the Track 5 07-27-2011 08:10 PM
Feb 6th Forest Ride - 50% off MSRH on Feb 14th! *First timers only please* Snow Events, Meets and Rides 12 02-07-2011 12:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #122
exalted512
Slow^^^

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
I got the boot because I sucked so bad last year. Now I have a thing against mini's and I take my agenda out on other mini racers by trying to keep them in L2.
-Cody Stewart
Retired mini racer (and racer in general)
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #123
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
I got the boot because I sucked so bad last year. Now I have a thing against mini's and I take my agenda out on other mini racers by trying to keep them in L2.
-Cody Stewart
Retired mini racer (and racer in general)
Having kids gets the best of us
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #124
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
no... I won't be able to attend all races due to family reunion in Brazil so we're not running the team to chase the championship this year...

Last minute eventualities caused my team to lose 2 riders so we (Myla and I) decided to wait and maybe throughout the season if we have enough people willing to race "for fun" we'll put the team together and race.

Right now I'm on 212 roster with the 300 for the class.

Myla said she will sprint so I'll race against her just because
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #125
Mace
Wisdom

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

Quote:
And off the pace meaning at least you can meet the minimum lap time requirement right?
What minimum lap times ? I have ridden L3 with R.S. LSTD and Extreme, don't recall anybody asking me what lap times I run. Never had a L3 rider come about my times or riding, I figure even fast guy need to practice on passing skills. I run 2m5s consistent laps at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Mace is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #126
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
No. L2 riders don't have the corner speed, acceleration, and late brake markers that L3 riders do.
As a level 1 rider I hit 145mph in the back stretch with 120whp, what do you hit? What would a noob with 190whp hit?

Quote:

The difference being you know you're riding in L2 and should be expecting that the riders are slower than you in the corners. In L3, I'm not expecting someone to be doing 90 at the end of the back straight at MSRH.
if I am expected to know other riders are slower in corners you can be expected to know riders are slower on the straights. Another advantage of having ULW riders in level 3 is the big bikes can power on by me and get around me with little to no delay. Instead of being in level 2 I have to deal with dicks that power past me on the straights just to park it in front of me and leave me no room to pass except for trying to force an outside pass that may or may not spook them into taking me out.

Quote:
No it's not. Each track has to have a maximum lap time for L3. There is rarely a rider at a RideSmart track day that is doing below a 40. You have L2 riders that are in the 1:55-2:30 range, and level one you have people in the 2:20-3 minute range. L3 has the least speed difference of any level.
2:15 is the minimum for level 2 at msrh as said by Randy and mr wonders

Quote:
We also get people ALL THE TIME that come to the boards complaining but never say anything at the track day. Ironically, you know what we do get complaints about? ULW bikes in L3.
I have made my case in person, on the phone and over email which has costed me hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Quote:
If that happened, you need to let us know with names. My emailed is my s/n @gmail.com It'll get taken care of.
I have already taken it to the top and got told to pound sand essentially. I'm over it and the person it happened to won't be riding with ridesmart anymore. Probably not doing track days anymore either. I'm not wasted my time with it, I tried to give my time to make ridesmart instructing as good as I can and apparently I'm not good enough so whatever.

Quote:
When you worked for a landscape company, how often did you do landscaping? Let's say you landscaped 75% of the time and did mechanic work the other 25%. Does that mean you're not a part of a landscaping company because 25% of your job isn't landscaping?

Well, about 75% of the riders at any given RideSmart td are in the classroom. I'd venture to say than 20% of the remainder have already been to those same classrooms at one point.
Level 3 does not count for the state approved defensive driver course and there for is not a school.

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier, all tracks have to have a maximum and L3 is already the smallest variable time there is. Decreasing that to 1:55 or 1:50 is only going to increase the variance of speed in L2 more than it already is.
Problem is people think, hey I did a 1:59 I can do lvl3 but 90% of their laps are 2+ min. My guess is if a rider can do 100% of the laps under 2 min they can do a 1:55 or less on their best time. The main problem is ridesmart doesn't stop anyone from registering for any group. My first day I could sign up for level 2 and no one would know till I've already caused havoc. Same with level 3, anyone can sign up for it with no check or system in place to prevent it. Other orgs require that an instructor modifies your profile to change what levels you can sign up for.

Lastly, the policy of not letting fast ULW riders in level 3 is ultimately why Saturday(and I'm only doing this one because I have a credit) will be my last track day with ridesmart for the foreseeable future. Ridesmart has made their case and made it perfectly that they are not changing it. I am in turn not going to give them anymore money, I'll be off playing in the dirt for $5 a day.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #127
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Here's a different perspective:

As a level 3 rider, running a quick old and safe guy MSRH pace on 600's or 1000's (1:43 - 1:47's consistently), I have zero issues with 300's and 250's running in LVL 3. I can pick them out from their slow pace on the straights, and expect them to equal or better me in the turns, corner entry, and sometimes even corner exit. I have never been frustrated with a lightweight or a motard, when ridden fast, getting in my way or causing a safety issue. It's a no brainer...take them on the beginning of the straightaway.

And from this perspective:

As a seasoned 250 racer who has led endurance races, but is still a novice, I love riding in LVL 3. LVL 2 sucks donkey dicks because folks simply aren't accustomed to being passed fast and they always want to zoom by on the straight and park it in the turns. I feel guilty for spooking the slow guys, and frustrated with never having a track that I can run wide open. I am a safety MENACE in LV L 2 and should not be allowed to ride in that level. I am fairly certain the other LW riders agree.

Side note: Loved watching John Rangel on his unfaired all stock 300 with the blue X on his back blowing peoples's doors off running 1:50's at MSRH. When you gonna race again John. I hate you.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #128
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

This John Rangel...

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Mr.P; 02-10-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #129
proasian3

I get it. And I'll continue to fight the good fight. But in the meantime doesn't look like it for minis in 3. I even asked maybe MSRH as an exception. We'll see. But honestly, the other TX orgs have the same policy. Also cmra doesn't allow mini practice with their other classes either. They'll laugh at you if you ask them to change it. I don't speak for the outside orgs though. How they do their thang is their thang
Liked this post:
Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #130
trunxgp1224

You won't find many people in the CMRA running below the minimum times either.
trunxgp1224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:27 AM   #131
proasian3

OK Dennis
Old 02-10-2016, 04:59 AM   #132
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
I get it. And I'll continue to fight the good fight. But in the meantime doesn't look like it for minis in 3. I even asked maybe MSRH as an exception. We'll see. But honestly, the other TX orgs have the same policy. Also cmra doesn't allow mini practice with their other classes either. They'll laugh at you if you ask them to change it. I don't speak for the outside orgs though. How they do their thang is their thang
Cmra has a separate practice for only ULW bikes, that has inside passing and isn't littered with newblets parking it for a smoke break in every corner. They do however have races where sv650's and Ducati 1000ss(with 100hp) on the track at the same time.

Also what other Texas orgs are you talking about? Fast line doesn't exist anymore, lstd doesn't really do "track days". Lstd does a few of the Friday practices which means their "street" group is mostly ULW racers and they allow inside passing in that group which makes things insanely better than ridesmart.

Also Cresson is arguably the best track to allow ULW racers in lvl 3.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:24 AM   #133
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

LSTD does have non Friday, non-CMRA weekends on the schedule.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #134
proasian3

You guys are so bent out of shape on wanting to change things. I can't change them. Maybe come up with a petition or something and send it to Dave Wonders or Steve McNamara. Or maybe you could create a DD racers only trackday where there's only one level (Dave and Dennis LOL!). Or pay your dues and become a member of a track. If you guys make one I'll probably sign up!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #135
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
LSTD does have non Friday, non-CMRA weekends on the schedule.
Like 2, I really wish they would pick up the number of track days they do. I like them.
Liked this post:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #136
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Maybe come up with a petition or something and send it to .... or Steve McNamara.
Negative Ghost Rider.

Not to speak for Steve, but with 16 years in business, MacMan knows what he is doing and his model is the way he wants it.

It's fine the way it is.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #137
ConcordEagle

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 749
Ducati Monster 796

Okaaayy.. can we get back on topic? This thread took a life of its own when I asked about closing speeds, had no idea there was so much pent up energy in this area. Good education and have a new respect for the ULWs.

So can anyone help a brother out and sell me their Level 2 spot for Sat?
ConcordEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #138
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

Did you get on the waiting list? Ride Smart might have better luck finding you a spot. If nothing else, show up the day of with cash in hand. Some people don't show.
Wawazat?! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #139
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawazat?! View Post
Did you get on the waiting list? Ride Smart might have better luck finding you a spot. If nothing else, show up the day of with cash in hand. Some people don't show.
and some crash out very early in the day.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #140
proasian3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Negative Ghost Rider.

Not to speak for Steve, but with 16 years in business, MacMan knows what he is doing and his model is the way he wants it.

It's fine the way it is.
Agreed. My point exactly. I've ridden with LSTD many times and they put on a great TD. No need for changes
Liked this post:

Advertisement