MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #101
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

Does anyone want to split a canopy spot? I have one reserved, but there's room for more.
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH Oct 18 2015 Lvl 2 Ridesmart Playing in traffic Classax Taking it to the Track 4 10-23-2015 09:32 PM
RideSmart Returns to MSRH September 13 and 14 !! Special Pricing !! RideSmart1 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 73 10-01-2014 11:10 AM
MSRH Feb 14 Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 CMRA Reserved Paddock Parking Rod Taking it to the Track 1 02-11-2014 02:45 PM
LvL 2 barber for sale with ridesmart bigpat728 Taking it to the Track 5 07-27-2011 08:10 PM
Feb 6th Forest Ride - 50% off MSRH on Feb 14th! *First timers only please* Snow Events, Meets and Rides 12 02-07-2011 12:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #102
BryanE
CMRA #246

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250 Race
2007 R6 Race
2007 Ninja 500 Race
2011 YZ450F SuperMoto
2012 CBR 250 Race

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jredford View Post
A 2 min rider in lvl 3 is dangerous IMHO.

The question is whether it is more or less dangeruous that running a mini in level 2 where big bike riders have less experience and control than level three riders.

I ride msrh on mini all the time with some of the fastest big bike riders in Texas. I honestly feel very safe riding on the same track with these guys. Fast, experienced riders have no issue with a mini since they are proficient at passing. Often times my corner entry speeds are greater and I have to check up. On the other hand when less experienced riders on big bikes ride the track I give them a wide berth and my radar goes on higher alert.
100% legit!
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #103
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawazat?! View Post
Does anyone want to split a canopy spot? I have one reserved, but there's room for more.
Im down lol
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #104
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
Im down lol
Spot 11. See you there!
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #105
trunxgp1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
That's the helpful Dennis attitude everyone loves.

Way to show appreciation to the boss man.
I have no respect for someone that hires me to do a job then tries to do it themselves, not understanding how, then lectures me about my decisions. Multiple times he has undermined the entire aspect of safety the riders depend on the TM for.

When a L3 rider wrecks in front of me in sugar and spice, slides into the gravel then gets up shooting a rooster tail of rocks onto the track while hauling backwards through pit-out, blowing by me while flailing my arms trying to get him to stop I get annoyed

Then on the next session someone comes up asking "why'd you let him back out?"
"I didn't, I never saw his bike come by."
"He grabbed someone else bike"

So when I ask to have the bike black flagged he blows by for another lap, before coming in. The rider went straight to the paddock and next time I see him he's got his leathers halfway off hopping the fence towards me and after he argues with me about the incident and he storms off. Moments later Mr wonders shows up asking me what happened and saying I was wrong and should have just let him ride because now the customer is upset and complaining to him.

He didn't seem to mind that someone crashed, didn't talk to the TM(his own rule) Then gets out on a bike I'm told isn't his, and confronts me about it. I, nor anyone else knows if he's right in the head or if he had permission to be on someones bike. For all anyone knew at that point he was in the head and thought it was his own bike.

That was only one of the 3 or 4 incidents that day he needed to stay out of.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #106
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxgp1224 View Post
I have no respect for someone that hires me to do a job...
I can understand that.

If you don't respect them, then don't work for them or use their services.

They will survive.

Could be your observation and communication skills.

As I said earlier, not all TM's are created equal.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #107
trunxgp1224

That's why it was the last time I worked for them. I'll still ride sometimes with the understanding of how it's run. Quann says he's stepped back quite a bit since then, so maybe I'll give it another try one day.

As far as my skills, I do have them and use them when I'm put in a position like that, where all eyes are on me and I'm representing someone else or a company. I just tend to err on the side of complete in my personal life.
Liked this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #108
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

NVM.

Not worth the keystrokes.

Good luck.
The Problem - Endurance
Liked this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #109
trunxgp1224

With 30 or so riders per level, no two can be in similar leathers?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #110
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
With 30 or so riders per level, no two can be in similar leathers?
As I said, you may need to work on your observation skills. Someone else caught it and they weren't in charge.

With safety as a priority and you in charge of access as you describe, there should be no excuse. It's all about safety.

See my earlier comments. Not all TM's are equal.

I'm out now. Good luck to you and all those you TM for.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 02-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #111
trunxgp1224

They caught it because they watched in the paddock
Old 02-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #112
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
They caught it because they watched in the paddock
Well, as long as you're OK with that for an excuse...

Good luck...to anyone you are watching over as TM.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #113
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
Instead you have level 2 riders on liter bikes coming up behind ULW bikes while still doing 165.

Personally I'd rather have a level 3 rider coming up behind me and a big closing speed rather than a level 2 rider.
No. L2 riders don't have the corner speed, acceleration, and late brake markers that L3 riders do.

Quote:
Yes and that closing speed happens in level 2. Another closing speed that gets over looked is mid corner speed between fast ULW racers and level 2 riders which I think is more dangerous than straight line closing speed. I may be biased though.
The difference being you know you're riding in L2 and should be expecting that the riders are slower than you in the corners. In L3, I'm not expecting someone to be doing 90 at the end of the back straight at MSRH.

Quote:
I know that, thank you. The real danger is sending someone out in level three who can barely break 2:00. Not sure if it is worse than running a lightweight bike in lvl 2 tho.
No it's not. Each track has to have a maximum lap time for L3. There is rarely a rider at a RideSmart track day that is doing below a 40. You have L2 riders that are in the 1:55-2:30 range, and level one you have people in the 2:20-3 minute range. L3 has the least speed difference of any level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
But he is when it comes to true level 3 riders! What scares me is when y'all have packed grids 1/2 the level 3 riders should be level 1 or 2. There is no way or rider verified requirement for anyone to sign up for for level 3 when y'all are booked solid. Its dangerous as when someone is running 2min + times, unpredictable lines, and parking it ever corner. This is a level 3 riders worst nightmare!!! I have never seen anyone be policed out of level 3 and put in a lower level or kicked out due to over crowding like y'alls policy states on the website? Thankfully I have track members like John and others that I take advantage of lol
Unfortunately, we don't announce to the paddock that we are moving people from L3 to L2 and l2 to L1. I'm not sure why you would think you would know. When L2 sells out, Randy goes over the list and knows how many times the people in L3 have been in L3, if any. And those people get contacted and/or the instructors/corner workers are told to watch out for those people and make sure they're at the appropriate pace. People don't usually talk about when they get bumped down and the instructors try to make it as low key as possible, so people don't really know how often this happens.

We also get people ALL THE TIME that come to the boards complaining but never say anything at the track day. Ironically, you know what we do get complaints about? ULW bikes in L3.

Quote:
Or when instructors tell you to keep doing what your doing, give no pointers and then bump you down a level the next session.
If that happened, you need to let us know with names. My emailed is my s/n @gmail.com It'll get taken care of.

Quote:
seriously. If there are no classes for level 3 it's not a school, it's a track day and every excuse that Wonders and his side kick want to come up with are null and void.
When you worked for a landscape company, how often did you do landscaping? Let's say you landscaped 75% of the time and did mechanic work the other 25%. Does that mean you're not a part of a landscaping company because 25% of your job isn't landscaping?

Well, about 75% of the riders at any given RideSmart td are in the classroom. I'd venture to say than 20% of the remainder have already been to those same classrooms at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
Well, as the resident slow guy on a fast bike, I've been told I would benefit from moving to level 3 by the level 2 instructors. My times are right at the max times for level 3. Personally I have found it more productive to tuck in behind the aliens on ULWs to work on mid and corner entry speed in two, rather than risk being a rolling chicane and getting sucked in over my head by truly fast guys making it look easy.

They should run the same format they do at COTA, 2a and 2b as it seems to work there.
I love the CotA format. Unfortunately, the day runs longer meaning it's more expensive. CotA almost always sells out all 4 levels, so it's easy to justify it. The same can't be said for other track days and if the track even allows it. You also have to think about the time. We don't have the ability to add an extra hour when it gets dark at 6.

Quote:
A 2 min rider in lvl 3 is dangerous IMHO.

The question is whether it is more or less dangeruous that running a mini in level 2 where big bike riders have less experience and control than level three riders.

I ride msrh on mini all the time with some of the fastest big bike riders in Texas. I honestly feel very safe riding on the same track with these guys. Fast, experienced riders have no issue with a mini since they are proficient at passing. Often times my corner entry speeds are greater and I have to check up. On the other hand when less experienced riders on big bikes ride the track I give them a wide berth and my radar goes on higher alert.
Like I mentioned earlier, all tracks have to have a maximum and L3 is already the smallest variable time there is. Decreasing that to 1:55 or 1:50 is only going to increase the variance of speed in L2 more than it already is.

Quote:
Well, as long as you're OK with that for an excuse...

Good luck...to anyone you are watching over as TM.
Does LSTD allow ULW in their advanced level?
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #114
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post

Does LSTD allow ULW in their advanced level?
-Cody

No. And I agree with that call, especially at TWS (Texas World Speedway). LSTD doesn't do MSRH.
The Problem - Endurance
Liked this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #115
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
I love riding L3 with the fast guys, I know I'm off the pace but its fun. That's a good idea, cancel L3 altogether and have two L2 sessions. L2 is the money maker, L3 riders benefits.
And off the pace meaning at least you can meet the minimum lap time requirement right?
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #116
trunxgp1224

I was leaking specially About level 3 being a school vs track day.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #117
proasian3

Quote:
Engrish please
Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #118
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
Engrish please
I speak Dennis - I got this.

Quote:
Level 3 is a part of RideSmart - which is a school.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #119
proasian3

Quote:
No. And I agree with that call, especially at TWS (Texas World Speedway). LSTD doesn't do MSRH.
Yah man it would be insane to put the minis in advanced at TWS (Texas World Speedway)!
Quote:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #120
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike